1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Bed Mount, but where?

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by CyberRider, Aug 21, 2018.

1. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

Agreed. I do that or like was stated earlier, pop a hole in the roof and mount you a Wilson there. Or even better, a Predator. The more centered that antenna is and above the highest point of that truck, the better it will perform. If that’s just not an option for you then get it away (however you choose) from that rollbar and/or the cab.

I’d personally suggest bonding also but I guess that’s pointless at this point unless you get your antenna mounted in an optimal position.

2. CyberRider

CyberRider Member

Got it. And thanks.

I'm basically going with this approach. To be precise, I'm having a flat, steel bar fabricated that will run from factory tab to factory tab with a hole in center for stud mount as well as two additional holes for extra lighting. I'll take picture when it's all set up and done.

Dmans, 357magnum and jessejamesdallas like this.
  3. CyberRider

CyberRider Member

Here's a couple pics of the bracket I had fabricated and then installed my antenna on, errrrr upon. I had the fabricator drill 2 extra holes so I can mount extra lights in the future. I sprayed it silver, but not the areas that make contact.

Bracket-overview.jpg fabbed-bracket.jpg

4. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

I'm shooting from the hip now but , did you try taking the spring out of line ( I know you need it ) to see if SWR changes ? Try running a ground wire from that bracket to a Good clean spot for a ground ? Probably doesn't make much of a difference but that type of roll bar is put together in segments . BTW nice shorts your wearing ( reflection in back of light ) .:LOL: Good Luck . 73 and God Bless , Leo

2NC995 likes this.
  5. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Nice Job!

The "segments" need to be bonded to each other - so you should find a method to make sure the tubes are all electrically "RF" bonded - then bond that to the bed.

The bad thing about 11 meter - is the length of the required amount of metal to make it work in setups like this.

If you had a simple car, the roof at it's center allows the wave to propagate away from the vehicle in a slope that better meets the "actual takeoff angle" you'd need. The vehicle has enough metal around the antenna at hat location to make it work better.

You don't get than in a truck - so now can you possibly make that bar RF grounded? The "segments" need to be "bolted" and I know that would suck - because chrome means plating and plating means perforation at a later time.

But you on the right track. You can "strap" too - just make it look like it's a wiring harness - then "pinch" braid between the chrome segments in less noticeable areas as you route. The pinch point becomes the sacrificial metal the copper will corrode so you're prepared - but would act as a joint to make the RF ground better in that bar.

Slowmover and 357magnum like this.
  6. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

I might add this MHO: If you add more lights to that bracket, where you have extra holes drilled...
    I would be willing to bet, the antenna tuning/performance will go all too hell due to the close proximity to those new lights...
    All the Best
    Gary

357magnum likes this.
  7. CyberRider

CyberRider Member

No, didn't try either of those things.

Haha! Big, baggy basketball shorts. I tried to take the pic so I couldn't be seen in a reflection but it was impossible no matter the angle. Oh well. :)

The fabricator shop would appreciate hearing that compliment. Thanks.

Right, and that is quite a task. I probably won't embark on it.

You're probably right. But I want more lights, especially flood lamps. Seems like this old adage is appropriate:
    You can't have your cake and eat it too. [long sigh]

Tokin and 357magnum like this.
  8. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Bumped for MoPower

See JJDs Tacoma in Post #19 as a reference idea.

9. Recon

Recon NY 881

Breedlove has an antenna mount that fits onto the headboard lip which may work for you.

10. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

They make pads for most any size mag mount.They do not affect the wy they work but they do stop the magnets from rusting & they stop scratching the paint job as well.

SIX-SHOOTER

11. Recon

Recon NY 881

Why not drill a hole in the underside if the roll bar so as to route the wires for the lights and the coax inside the down-tubes to eliminate the white zip-ties?