• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner ham antenna questions

The A-99 works very well on 10 meters. With a good tuner it can even do 20 meters.

How big of a difference is the fan dipole going to make over the Antron 99? I've been tuning around 10 and 20 meter last night until late and most of the day today and have heard perhaps 15 discussions total, and all were pretty weak...3's or even 2's maybe? They were pretty clewar, 4-5's, but real weak and not many of them.

Totally off topic:

45 years ago today Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, 23,855 miles away..."One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Today we have to hitchhike to a space station 205 miles high, that WE did 90% if the development and work on.

That is sad.

How big of a difference is the fan dipole going to make over the Antron 99? I've been tuning around 10 and 20 meter last night until late and most of the day today and have heard perhaps 15 discussions total, and all were pretty weak...3's or even 2's maybe? They were pretty clewar, 4-5's, but real weak and not many of them.

Depends on propagation, vertical might work better but generally a horizontal will receive better. What the dipole gives you is multiple bands.

Note to admins:

I have taken this thread WAAAAY off the sub-forum topic...antennas...asking about everything in the world regarding Ham, from radios to antennas to licensing questions. Instead of just "Antennas" I've turned a little bit of this subforum into a "Let's help Bob" forum.

I did it for two reasons...first, I could come back to one place to find out what I need to know instead of having to go all over the WWDX forum to get answers to my wide ranging questions. Its made it easier to keep my learning organized.

Second, I hope its made it easier for the folks...you know who you are...that have helped me. Just as its sorta a "one stop shop" for info for me, its been a one stop shop for those "Elmers" that have helped me here.

All of this is to say a big, heartfelt "Thank You" to the admin(s) for letting my stray so far, so often from the topic of the sub-forum...antennas.

73's,
Bob

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Your welcome! Got your call yet?

Not yet. I called the guy that was running the testing session when I got home from the hospital Friday afternoon. He said he had sent it off 2nd Day Air on Tuesday and they had received it on Thursday. He was expecting to see the results for everyone on Friday (about a dozen of us, from Tech to Advanced) but they weren't there.

He says probably Monday. I hope...I've been wandering around 10 and 20 meters since I got the new rig set up Friday evening and my right thumb is itching to press the PTT key!...:D:D:D

Not yet. I called the guy that was running the testing session when I got home from the hospital Friday afternoon. He said he had sent it off 2nd Day Air on Tuesday and they had received it on Thursday. He was expecting to see the results for everyone on Friday (about a dozen of us, from Tech to Advanced) but they weren't there.

He says probably Monday. I hope...I've been wandering around 10 and 20 meters since I got the new rig set up Friday evening and my right thumb is itching to press the PTT key!...:D:D:D

Cool, I was just on 20 worked lu8fdz in Argentina.

Reactions: 1 person
I am going to suspend the fan dipole antenna between two trees, without a center support, and the lowest point of the antenna (besides the feedline, of course) is 45 ft above ground level.

I currently have my Antron 99 CB antenna on a mast that is even with the midpoint of the fan...~60 ft from the ends...and is offset from the straight line between the trees supporting the fan by about 15-20 ft. The top of the mast/bottom of the A-99 is 23 ft off the ground.

The bottom 12 ft of the mast is a 6x6 treated post and the top 10-11 ft of the mast is galvanized pipe. There is about one foot of wood post extending above the eave of the house, then the galvanized pipe.

Can I run the feed line for the fan from the center attachment point at the antenna to the portion of the 6x6 post that extends above the eaves of the house (about 10 feet below the Antron), then run it together with the coax for the Antron into the house and to my radios, or do the two coaxes need to be run with some distance betewwn them, and if so, how far apart do they need to be kept?

Also, before curving over to the attachment point to the 6x6, the feed line for the fan will be dropping parallel to the Antron about 12-15 feet away from it. Will that cause problems with either antenna?

73's,
Bob

No problem with running to coax near each other. They are shielded, you can zip tie them together. 10 ft should be no trouble with the a99. Just stay on 10 until you get your general. Watch your band edges, remember on USB you are shifted up in frequency. Stay below 28.495 on you radios readout.
Rich

...do the two coaxes need to be run with some distance betewwn them, and if so, how far apart do they need to be kept?

should not be a major issue, if the co-axial cable is good, and the shield is grounded.

that's one of the reasons for using coax Vs ladder line. the center conductor in coax is inside the shield envelope.

Totally off topic:

45 years ago today Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, 23,855 miles away..."One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Today we have to hitchhike to a space station 205 miles high, that WE did 90% if the development and work on.

That is sad.

I think you're off by about a factor of ten on the earth-moon distance....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.