• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner ham antenna questions

Also keep in mind when hanging the antenna as you plan it will be more directional then if hung in a inverted V format.

Got that covered, I think.

All of thye connections are going to be inside a 2 foot piece of 4" PVC. The end cap on the top of this will have an eyebolt attached.

A rope (with 10 feet of bungee type material attached at each end to allow for sway) will run from one tree to the other at a height of 70-75 feet. The collector will be hung from this eyebolt.

The ends of the radials need 38 inches of seperation between bands, or 114 inches total. I am lowering the ends so the top band, 80 meter, is at the 55 foot point (+-) and the bottom band, 10 meter, is at about 45 feet. I haven't done the math to see exactly, but this should get me fairly close to 45 degrees.

Bob (still just "Bob"...call sign-less Bob. I hope that changes this afternoon)

Got that covered, I think.

All of thye connections are going to be inside a 2 foot piece of 4" PVC. The end cap on the top of this will have an eyebolt attached.

A rope (with 10 feet of bungee type material attached at each end to allow for sway) will run from one tree to the other at a height of 70-75 feet. The collector will be hung from this eyebolt.

The ends of the radials need 38 inches of seperation between bands, or 114 inches total. I am lowering the ends so the top band, 80 meter, is at the 55 foot point (+-) and the bottom band, 10 meter, is at about 45 feet. I haven't done the math to see exactly, but this should get me fairly close to 45 degrees.

Bob (still just "Bob"...call sign-less Bob. I hope that changes this afternoon)
call sign-less Bob(sorry, couldn't pass that one up)
Sounds like you got it figured out. Snap and pic or two and post up.

I doubt I'll get that far on my Antron 99...hehehe...I hope to have the fan up late this week though. Then? Who knows?

You'll be amazed how far you can talk with the A99 on 10 meters when the conditions are right. Europe is easy breazy with 100 watts! Get on in the morning when it's their evening (7 hours ahead, at least) and have fun.

Brett

I THINK I just realized why my A99 isn't hearing anything except the troll on 28.425...and him only faintly though he's only 40-50 miles away.

Its an SWR issue. My A99 is set perfectly for 11 meter...1.3:1 on channel 20, BUT...it is probably WAY off for 10 or 20 meter.

Unfortunately I can't check it right now. I've checked SWR on my CB using the fairly accurate built in SWR meter on my Cobra 148 GTL, and the Kenwood doesn't have that. I need an INEXPENSIVE (frugal but not cheap) SWR/power meter. I was gonna have to get one to complete my fan dipole anyway. Suggestions?

You'll be amazed how far you can talk with the A99 on 10 meters when the conditions are right. Europe is easy breazy with 100 watts! Get on in the morning when it's their evening (7 hours ahead, at least) and have fun.

Brett

Bob: Two things...Confused:confused:...antenna 75 ft up..but 75m antenna at 55ft and 10m at 45ft...where did that 20ft loss go...
And if you can put 10m on top and 75m on bottom..
All the Best
Gary

Last edited:
Unfornunatly 10 meter has been quite dismal lately. Just go to QRZ.com and punch in KC4TVZ, he posts his log there, and you will see for yourself. DX Summit is a good place to look for activity on any band.
Rich

Bob: Two things...Confused:confused:...antenna 75 ft up..but 75m antenna at 55ft and 10m at 45ft...where did that 20ft loss go...
And if you can put 10m on top and 75m on bottom..
All the Best
Gary

Hi Gary...sorry for the clear as mud post. Here we go, working down from the top:

1. Horozontal support cable with radial collector attached @ ~70-75 ft.
2. 80 meter radials @ ~55 ft
3. 40 meter radials @ ~52 ft.
4. 20 meter radials @ ~49 ft.
5. 10 meter radials @ ~46 ft.

Now, in reality those aren't the heights where the radials hit the tree (except the 80 meter is pretty close). I am extending the length of the radials with monofilament fishing line.

There will be a 10 ft by 3x4 inch grey PVC conduit with 4 holes, each 39 inches from the other. The radial/monofilament will pass through the 114 inch spreader which will be set at the end of the 80 meter radial and will hold each radial below it the correct distance away. The ends of the radials will be pretty close to the numbers in #2-5 above, but the imaginary line of their continuing to the tree will, obviously, be much lower...probably around 2-25 feet for 10 meter.

Incidentally, more news. See below...hehehe

73's,
Bob...no longer call sign-less...KM4DEO

work todd right now, before you call is on QRZ. He won't be able to log you, piss him off.
Rich

Well Bob your on your way...
Forgive this old goat but I am still missing where the support or "messinger cable" as some call it in the trade at 70 ft, and a 15ft drop to the elements of the 75m antenna...but no matter ;) I am just not getting the picture...
However you seem to have it well thought out.

Kilowatt Mexico 4 Delta Echo Oscar...
Nice ring to it...wouldn't be a bad CW call either!....

Well next big question does your TS-130 load into your 99...ON 10M? Like 28.4
Have your tried yet?....If so what freq are you on?:D
Congrats OM and let the RADIOFUN begin....
Just don't forget your studies!
You have many more bands awaiting your calls:whistle:
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Last edited:
Bob, congratulations! NF8FGB is quite right... 10 has been pretty dead lately. I did say the disclaimer (when conditions were good), though. :) All the more reason for you to keep studying and get General. Sounds like you are really on track to getting your station up and READY for HF. Way to go!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.