• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best 11meter vertical ever, period.

I love to talk DX. If an antenna works phenomenally for local, but shrugs a shoulder of indifference to DX, I take it apart for parts.
If it sucks on local, but gets DX contacts with consistency regardless of the conditions for long distance propagation, I like it.
I know an antenna can not be reliably measured for true performance with DX, but if that is what I want to talk, and it does it, then it has met my standard for antenna performance.
DX can do too many things at different times. . . some days good, some days bad. Nevertheless, if an antenna sucks by comparison to another under a variety of DX conditions, it dies a dismantled death.

i have to agree with you on one thing here only,,,on dx anything is possible<More audio>
stronger sunspot activity

I'm hesitant at best to trust any form of DX contact test for measuring. To many variables that you simply cannot account for. Perhaps all those random variables simply added up to much better conditions.

The DB

Ah yes, but science relies on repeatable consistency, and that's what I seem to be getting - day-in & day-out - with that wild & weird Gainmaster thingamajiggy ;)

Not to mention that this sunspot cycle is CRAP compared to the one around 1988 when I had my quad beam up and working.

science also relies on verification . how do you know the sunspot activity was higher then than now ?

Reactions: 1 person
Ah yes, but science relies on repeatable consistency

Science deals with provable facts. No matter how consistent it is everything else is just theory. You saying this antenna is better than that one for DX will never be anything more than theory. You can observe that it makes more contacts and seems to get stronger signal reports, but that proves nothing, only suggests it might be better for wherever you happen to be. That does not make the antenna better than the other one in all circumstances.

What if another antenna technically worked just as well, but based on where you are its best DX location were in the middle of an ocean? You would think it doesn't work, but for someone that is somewhere else it may function as good if not better.

and that's what I seem to be getting - day-in & day-out - with that wild & weird Gainmaster thingamajiggy ;)

Not to mention that this sunspot cycle is CRAP compared to the one around 1988 when I had my quad beam up and working.

I'm happy for ya, enjoy the DX.

The DB

science also relies on verification . how do you know the sunspot activity was higher then than now ?

Well, it's kind of general knowledge that cycle 24 has been weak, especially compared to cycle 22 which I was referring to, but you can read this:

"Solar Cycle 24 is expected to have a below-average number of sunspots, the lowest of any cycle since 1928."

Here: Solar Cycles, Sunspots, Solar Flares, Consciousness and Climate Change and on other internet sites.

Science deals with provable facts. No matter how consistent it is everything else is just theory. You saying this antenna is better than that one for DX will never be anything more than theory. You can observe that it makes more contacts and seems to get stronger signal reports, but that proves nothing, only suggests it might be better for wherever you happen to be. That does not make the antenna better than the other one in all circumstances.

What if another antenna technically worked just as well, but based on where you are its best DX location were in the middle of an ocean? You would think it doesn't work, but for someone that is somewhere else it may function as good if not better.

The DB

Thanks for sharing your theories, but I'm not about to discount what I've experienced because someone else doesn't see it from my perspective.

No offense, but science starts with 'questioning theories' and progresses into 'proven theories' through experiencing consistent proof, however, it is almost never finished.

What I was pointing out is that I actually have more to go on due to my experience with my Gainmaster than someone has who would refute even the possibility that a Gainmaster could outperform a 3 el Yagi under certain conditions & circumstances.

It's a red herring to demand that I said it's scientific that it always will.

-I don't absolutely, necessarily disbelieve 4040's claim because I can understand how it's possible, and in addition, I have also experienced surprisingly impressive DX performance from the Gainmaster, equal to that which I would tend to expect from a 3-4 el Yagi.

That's all ;)

@ Needle bender,

I would like to see it from your perspective but with respect to your opinion im afraid what you are thinking can not be true. At least not with a "DX"ing point of view.
Unless the horizontal "beams" were sitting on the ground (below say 18..20 feet)
Or they was something wrong with them.

Now, you know the gainmaster is a omnidirectional antenna with much less than 7..8dBI gain. (Which could be expected from a 3el Yagi).

So gain wise the beams are already the winner.
The only thing that remains would be that the GM puts the gain under a better angle.
Science has provided all the answers in the past.
Any horizontal antenna (especially with more gain) which can be placed at a reasonable heigth (say roughlly a half wavelength) it will outperform the omnidirectional vertical. for DX at least 9 out of 10 times.

I realise it is difficult to change a opinion when one "thinks" something but please do give it a reasonable doubt. I have done the same in the past.

@ Homer BB,
For us "enthousiasts" I do believe you can actually get a good indication if a antennas has a lower toa compared to the other. Thats not when the band is "full" with stations.
But when the band tends to open (or close) and just the first low signal stations are comming in from the other side of the world...you could expect most of those first far distance signals to be under a low angle.

Kind regards,

Henry

Reactions: TheBlaster
I believe this is getting a bit off from the intent of the thread itself so this will be my last post on the matter. Anything in the future will be kept to PM's or I won't respond.

Thanks for sharing your theories, but I'm not about to discount what I've experienced because someone else doesn't see it from my perspective.

My theories? I posted no theory. I simply tried to explain the difference between scientific theory and scientific fact. Perspective has nothing to do with this difference.

No offense, but science starts with 'questioning theories' and progresses into 'proven theories' through experiencing consistent proof, however, it is almost never finished.

Yes science starts with questions, good start. It is also very methodical, it doesn't stop until every possible variable has been accounted for. That is something we simply cannot do today when discussing DX. That is fact, and there is no way around it.

What I was pointing out is that I actually have more to go on due to my experience with my Gainmaster than someone has who would refute even the possibility that a Gainmaster could outperform a 3 el Yagi under certain conditions & circumstances.

I never once tried to refute what you found, I simply stated that it is still theory when you were talking about DX, which was true.

It's a red herring to demand that I said it's scientific that it always will.

With all due respect, you are the one who brought up science.

-I don't absolutely, necessarily disbelieve 4040's claim because I can understand how it's possible, and in addition, I have also experienced surprisingly impressive DX performance from the Gainmaster, equal to that which I would tend to expect from a 3-4 el Yagi.

I'm not arguing against the possibility of this happening, that was never my point, what I was arguing was your method of science, which is quoted:

Ah yes, but science relies on repeatable consistency

Repeatable consistency has never proven anything. While it is an aid, science does not rely on it.

Let me try to explain. Say you cross at a crosswalk and the light there has operated the same way for five years. You assume the next time you cross at that crosswalk that the light will be the same, and very likely it will be. However, it is also possible that they changed the timing and it will work differently as well. That is inductive reasoning and what you are using. Inductive reasoning will never be proven scientific fact. It is a good guide, but that is all it is.

Another way to look at it is a roulette table. I can observe it as long as I want, record what happens, ect. One thing I can never do is guess with 100% certainty what will happen the next time around, even if I watch it 10,000 times or more. That is in essence what you are doing with DX.

Deductive reasoning accounts for every possible variable. Only deductive reasoning can get to scientific fact. Everything else is just theory. You would be surprised at how many things in the world today are taken and taught as fact that are really only theory.

And just to let you know, nothing I posted this time or the time before is theory.

Also from earlier in the thread:

Don't confuse me with the facts!

I know, it was only a joke, but I had to put it in here somewhere...

That's all ;)

Yep, I'm done with this off-topic. If you want to discuss this further, pm me... It really doesn't bother me either way to be honest. You would be surprised as to how many people in this world really don't understand what scientific fact actually is.

Also, I never once said that in your case that it wasn't possible that what you said about those antennas were true. I was simply arguing your implied method of getting to "scientific fact".

The DB

"I believe this is getting a bit off from the intent of the thread itself so this will be my last post on the matter. Anything in the future will be kept to PM's or I won't respond......... "

i disagree DB . the thread is about the "best 11meter vertical ever, period." and how someone/group comes to that decision/opinion is relevant IMO .

plus i enjoy your comments (as well as all the others here) so please share them with us (y)

"I believe this is getting a bit off from the intent of the thread itself so this will be my last post on the matter. Anything in the future will be kept to PM's or I won't respond......... "

i disagree DB . the thread is about the "best 11meter vertical ever, period." and how someone/group comes to that decision/opinion is relevant IMO .

plus i enjoy your comments (as well as all the others here) so please share them with us (y)

I was discussing what is and isn't science and scientific fact, not what is or isn't the "best 11meter vertical antenna ever, period." And that is why I stopped that line of argument.

I do, however, agree that how someone comes to a conclusion is important, sometimes even more important than the stated results. The how often tells me more about your results than the results themselves.

The DB

@ Needle bender,

I would like to see it from your perspective but with respect to your opinion im afraid what you are thinking can not be true. At least not with a "DX"ing point of view.
Unless the horizontal "beams" were sitting on the ground (below say 18..20 feet)
Or they was something wrong with them.

Now, you know the gainmaster is a omnidirectional antenna with much less than 7..8dBI gain. (Which could be expected from a 3el Yagi).

So gain wise the beams are already the winner.
The only thing that remains would be that the GM puts the gain under a better angle.
Science has provided all the answers in the past.
Any horizontal antenna (especially with more gain) which can be placed at a reasonable heigth (say roughlly a half wavelength) it will outperform the omnidirectional vertical. for DX at least 9 out of 10 times.

I realise it is difficult to change a opinion when one "thinks" something but please do give it a reasonable doubt. I have done the same in the past.
I have experienced times when my Omni was having more fun with DX than my Yagi, and both of them are just over a wavelength apart from each other and 1 wavelength above the ground. But I must agree with you, Henry, in most cases, if not 9 out of 10 or more, the Yagi is whistling a stroll into the the sunset of propagation while the Omni is trying its best to catch up at a dead run. But I don't have a Gainmaster . . . ;)
@ Homer BB,
For us "enthousiasts" I do believe you can actually get a good indication if a antennas has a lower toa compared to the other. Thats not when the band is "full" with stations.
But when the band tends to open (or close) and just the first low signal stations are comming in from the other side of the world...you could expect most of those first far distance signals to be under a low angle.

Kind regards,

Henry
I agree, Henry.

Homer

Exactly!

I'm glad you were able to understand what I posted and not infer something I didn't mean.

So there you go, that scientifically proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Gainmaster will always outperform a 3-4 el yagi when it does.
icon10.gif

Exactly!

I'm glad you were able to understand what I posted and not infer something I didn't mean.

So there you go, that scientifically proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Gainmaster will always outperform a 3-4 el yagi when it does.
icon10.gif

Your just trying to get a rise out of me now...

Yea, I apparently didn't understand what you said, that is why I put tons of quotes in my posts...

However, I honestly don't think you had any idea what my argument was...

I have just one question. If I put up a 2' mobile antenna on my roof and it outperforms a gainmaster I replaced it with for DX contacts I can follow your example and say

It scientifically proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the 2' antenna will always outperform the gainmaster when it does?

Anyway, as I said before:

The DB

Hi DB,
Don't worry, it's not the first time that its been pointed out to these people that using DX is not a good idea for testing antenna's. It has also been pointed out that not using the identical apparatus for each antenna test (same coax, same mounting pole, same rig, same pl plugs etc) is just testing a persons ability to solder a pl plug and the fact that no two locations can ever be the same because of attenuation.
For example, you mount two antennae one wavelength apart then run both coax into a switcher box and then into a radio. Firstly, besides both set ups having completely different apparatus, the angle of TX/RX to each breaker you use in testing is critical in as far as attenuation is concerned, even each respective antenna will attenuate the other depending on where breakers are.
But it seems like educating a bacon sandwich DB at times because they WILL NOT LISTEN.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?