• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best 40 Chanel CB with SSB

Best CB with SSB

• Cobra 148 GTL new model

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Connex CX566SSB

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Galaxy DX-949

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Galaxl DX-959

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Galaxy DX-979

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Uniden 980SSB

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

C'mon guys; this list reflects what is just new and available. Surely we all have our own favorites. But if you had to make a choice among new radios, this list is fairly comprehensive.

I chose the Uniden 980; but my second choice would be the 959. Dunno anything about that Connex yet.

Doesn't Uniden still make the Grant XL and LT? If so; i would have picked that one for first place, as it is basically a 148GTL. Except that it is solid as a rock! The new 148GTL is hit or miss - IMO . . .

I had one of the newer 148's, voice warbled on SSB. Did OK on AM. Still have a 959, great AM rig, OK on SSB. Currently using a 980, rock steady on SSB, good receive, and nice features. Once you get rid of the beep it's the better of the 3 I've had.

I set up the Vote Pole for new Radios. I like the 980 but after sending 2 back? I guess I could call Uniden ? I also like the DX-979 and may check out that radio. Time will tell.

959 is only barely a usable as a ssb. I have one and have had receive upgrades done to it and its receiver is still not in the same class as the Philly grant/148 or the president Lincoln/hr platform. IMHO

Find a clean 148 with a side mic or a grant Lt or xl and you will be happy.

If you must buy new get a 2950.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought the Uniden 980 would get the most votes. What I was shocked second place (so far) would go to the Cobra 148. People say this is a crap radio but the Radio still has some loyal users with good radios.

DX 979, I put mine into the XYL's truck for her to try and its been there now for 4 years. I think if I pull it I'm dead. And it's a real good talker as well, and she has no problems with "drift" on ssb. It's a small package solid radio if tuned properly.

DX 979, I put mine into the XYL's truck for her to try and its been there now for 4 years. I think if I pull it I'm dead. And it's a real good talker as well, and she has no problems with "drift" on ssb. It's a small package solid radio if tuned properly.

I was leaning towards a 979 myself, Get it tuned and give it a try. I have time to see what I want. Still checking my options!

I thought the Uniden 980 would get the most votes. What I was shocked second place (so far) would go to the Cobra 148. People say this is a crap radio but the Radio still has some loyal users with good radios.

I have to agree with you, the new version 148 is a total POS. I just had to laugh when I saw it getting votes. They will probably top it off by suggesting you buy it from Crapper Electronics......lol. ;);)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.