• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best groundplane ???

kbbgood

Feb 28, 2013
Steelville, Mo.
Who makes the best ground-plane for the money. Been looking at the maco v58, the Sirio Tornado, and the Hy gain Super Penetrator. Any other antenna out there better for the money? 150 or less. Will get it up about 30 feet at the mount. What do you guys think.

Regardless of what you hear, the Sigma IV or the new Vector 4000 will outperform all 5/8 wave groundplanes in terms of distant signals. The Sirio Gain-Master is nearly identical in performance for low power applications (500 watts or less) but costs over the $150 price level.

Your goal of having durability, ease of tuning and meeting the price range will be best suited with the Hy Gain SP. The Vector would have been my first suggestion but it does not meet the durability requirement. On the other hand it may be wise to put a little more aside for the GM antenna if you're not using much power. It does shine in the distance.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Depends on your location.

Are you in a valley? Or on top of a hill?

If it is level land around you then any .625 or .64 wl will perform good.

If you are in a valley and need a high angle of radiation then a 1/4 wl will provide that.

I have tried the .64wl antennas. Aluminum, fiberglass, etc.etc.

I have found there is no "BEST" groundplane.

I currently have an antron99 on top of one tower at 65' to the feed point.
It works 10.11.12, and 15 meter bands without an antenna coupler.

The other tower is the imax 2000 at 80' to the feed point. It also works 10.11.12. and 15 meters without an antenna coupler.

For around $130 shippd to your door it is hard to beat an imax2000 for the money.

Wrap an RF choke at the feed point, install it as high as you can and start making contacts.

This link has 9 pages of reviews for the imax 2000, by amateur operators no less.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1376

another review
Imax 2000 Base CB Antenna Review

Reactions: tuner and Marconi
My main thing is to find out which ones are built the toughest and will last the longest and is the easiest to get in tune and stay that way.

Based on your Post ( and money is not a factor) I agree the I-10K it the best choice, they are really built to take a beating from weather.
Jay uses very good materials and they withstand weather extremes.
Mine is very easy to tune and Jay includes plenty of detailed info.
Using the instruction included with the antenna get you just about spot on the first time.
The only problem seems to be getting Steve ( Jays Business partner) to get it together and make another production run.
If you are NOT in an area that has weather extremes the the Hy Gain SP is a good choice.
I do Agree with Waverider that there is No "Best" single antenna because where you are and what you want to do also influences your buying decision.

If you are in a valley and need a high angle of radiation then a 1/4 wl will provide that.
This is true under the right conditions, several years ago I lived down in a little canyon here in the Sierras I had both a 5/8s and a 1/4 wave mounted at the same height Approx 60 feet apart.
When working DX, at times the 1/4 would outperform the 5/8 depending on where the contact was and the conditions at the time.

Jeff

I-max for match and wide band with low swr on more than one band. I have a Super Tornado and love it also very quiet. Talked all over with it and forgot to turn the amp on several times also

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.