1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Best low cost intro beam

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by lonestarbandit, May 27, 2021.

1. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

I had a 3 element maco with an a99 on top . And I used a TV rotor and it worked...

lonestarbandit, RT431 and S&W357 like this.

2. lonestarbandit

lonestarbandit 4-2-9 Central TX

Probably a good strong older TV rotor.
    The only new one available is that weak chinesium RCA.
    I would be extremely concerned trying to have a Vquad and a imax on that. Imax is also larger than A99.

3. lonestarbandit

Well the Hopperbuilt box arrived.
    Driving with just the 2950CD.
    Now I must seriously consider this beam situation lol

Attached Files:

#48 lonestarbandit, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  4. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

5. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Well I have been in radio since the seventies. Trust me I know the difference in antennas. And rotors.....

6. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

what did you get again? im gonna guess straight 4?

7. lonestarbandit

Yes Straight 4 w 3 p/s I believe base unit class B biased for ssb.

8. lonestarbandit

Thats my point. You're used to quality.
    Not the cheap rubbish left for sale now.
    I wasn't questioning your judgement or experience so much as the rubbish I have to choose from.
    This chinesium is whats available.
    Its so weak specs cannot be found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Outdoo...-/222271171839?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

#53 lonestarbandit, Jun 5, 2021
  9. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

ha, i knew it. only because my hopper 4pill does the same as yours in the pic, 800w pep. cool....

lonestarbandit likes this.
  10. lonestarbandit

You were quite right. I am very pleased with Nates work. And being able to drive with just the 2950 is a bonus no need for a driver.
    I've seen people doing 1kw pep driven on the same box but no one will see the difference and Id rather treat it gently. It usually shows around 750. I got lucky and caught a peak I guess .

#55 lonestarbandit, Jun 5, 2021
    groundwire likes this.
  11. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

What are your thoughts on the delay time? Is yours too long, short, or just right?

12. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

I started on the CB in 1965 & I have had many beam antennas & I had both Horizontal & Vertical & I have worked the world on Both.I no longer talk skip on the CB Band because I can do that 24/7 on Amateur Radio.I sw that sometimes when working Skip that Vertical was better & sometimes Horizontal was better.I could switch between the two polarities & see it first hand.If I was only going to talk or chase skip I would not care about mobiles or locals then I guess being Horizontal would be OK but why limit my choices when I can have Both with a Vertical beam? It's a really easy choice & just common sense I think because on most days the 11 meter band SUCKS & there is No Skip but usually plenty of locals on a base & plenty of mobiles as well.If you are Horizontal & everyone else locally are running Vertical then with the 20 db of attenuation then you will sound like a Mud Duck because of the lost signals that you chose while waiting on some Sun Spots or eSkip to pop up.Makes for one Boring band when it's almost always DEAD! {:>) :LOL::LOL:

SIX-SHOOTER

13. lonestarbandit

Because I lead a very busy life and playing around on the radio radio is only a tiny part of it at this point and I'm a long way from retirement and I'm not a licenced ham lol.
    When we retire to my Philippine mountaintop property I will surely be in the amateur bands, probably exclusively but this is the here and now.

S&W357 likes this.
  14. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I have a Sirio 27-4 that I have not put up yet. I plan to initially install it horizontal, but I will also try vertical just to see.

15. lonestarbandit

Be interested to see what you think. I'm a little afraid of that low power rating.

I found some of these spec sheets havent cleaned them up nor determined their validity but here they are. Perhaps someone more learned than I can determine which one has the most gain it appears the Vquad but I cant imagine that can beat a 4 element?

Attached Files:

#60 lonestarbandit, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Shadetree Mechanic likes this.