• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best low-end watt/VSWR meter you would suggest

The Daiwa- pretty meter, should do you well.

(Funny story though, DAIWA - Not DIAWA - but that's a FISH story for later)

Now remember though, that is a "Cross needle" type - you'll see your FWD and REF power at the same time. Don't panic if both needles move, they're supposed to. You just need to panic when both needles are (gasp) near the top of the scale - at the same time.

DaiwaCH501H.png

Older simple meters you had to "Switch" (click) to FWD - set CAL knob using Same meter face on one scale then - "Switch" (click) to REF and Read (Same) meter different scale...

The nice attribute of the Cross Needle - is, you don't have to do those steps - it's displays that information at the same time - automatically.

Now to caution you, this is not a PEAK meter, this is a simple SWR meter and Power scale - so it's used for Carrier and you can obtain some working power levels of Envelope - so don't kick or push yourself too hard in knowing "PEP" - because that is a totally different beast and you will always get confusing answers and opinions - so best to use the meter as it was intended - SWR and Relative indication of Wattage - its' not for those "Bird 43 meter" crowd.

This is great simple cross needle meter made to keep it simple in the shack.

Lets you know something is wrong with the antenna system - its' not for power hungry users whom want accuracy - again - it's relative.

This meter will do the job you want to do - and more if you know what you got to use and use it wisely.

The Daiwa- pretty meter, should do you well.

(Funny story though, DAIWA - Not DIAWA - but that's a FISH story for later)

Now remember though, that is a "Cross needle" type - you'll see your FWD and REF power at the same time. Don't panic if both needles move, they're supposed to. You just need to panic when both needles are (gasp) near the top of the scale - at the same time.

Older simple meters you had to "Switch" (click) to FWD - set CAL knob using Same meter face on one scale then - "Switch" (click) to REF and Read (Same) meter different scale...

The nice attribute of the Cross Needle - is, you don't have to do those steps - it's displays that information at the same time - automatically.

Now to caution you, this is not a PEAK meter, this is a simple SWR meter and Power scale - so it's used for Carrier and you can obtain some working power levels of Envelope - so don't kick or push yourself too hard in knowing "PEP" - because that is a totally different beast and you will always get confusing answers and opinions - so best to use the meter as it was intended - SWR and Relative indication of Wattage - its' not for those "Bird 43 meter" crowd.

This is great simple cross needle meter made to keep it simple in the shack.

Lets you know something is wrong with the antenna system - its' not for power hungry users whom want accuracy - again - it's relative.

This meter will do the job you want to do - and more if you know what you got to use and use it wisely.

You be gettin’ a might bit close to recommending a giant Redman CB DOSY TRIPLE with all the goodies winking & flashing to go on the dashboard of that nice old Chevy what with that “relative” chatterin’ goin’ on.

3615399F-1308-4B8C-8BF5-7A248B2F83DF.jpeg

He’s from Alabama.

NOT Florida.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on what you consider low end. I'd recommend Daiwa as well. Have owned a bunch of cheaper ones over the years and all did what I needed them to do.
I have a few Workman HP201s, work well actually, cheap, and I have put a full KW through them. My main rig I have the Daiwa CN-901 HP 2 KW, flawless, Not a big Dosy fan anymore, price issues not quality. 73"s
Ocean One Cape Hatterasswr2.png

I have a Daiwa CN-501 that I bought a couple months ago. It's definitely not a true PEP meter.

Set the meter on the PEP scale, note the the wattage on full swing, and then multiply by 1.5. You will be in the ballpark.

I have a Daiwa CN-501 that I bought a couple months ago. It's definitely not a true PEP meter.

Set the meter on the PEP scale, note the the wattage on full swing, and then multiply by 1.5. You will be in the ballpark.

I'm not really concerned with PEP....I've run 700+ watts, 3 boxes... 1-2879 driving 2-2879s driving 6-2879s, 2 alternators, 4 batteries and had a guy smoke me with a 1x2. His modulation was like the voice of an archangel. I gave up on big numbers after that and decided tuned modulation with half the numbers was the way to go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated