• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best new Ham Rig for 11 M

Oh yes I have watched some of his stuff. Almost got a heil mic for my Icom 746, but it's hard when I get really good reports from the stock HM12 mic and the right compression and mic settings. It took me some time to get it right. Wasn't just s simple deal!! I spent a lot of time fine tuning things. And I get reports all the time on how well my audio sounds. Get asked all the time what I am running!! Anyway, thanks for the link and I'll let you know about the Kenwood ts480hx soon as my local pal just bought one and is waiting for it to get here from NY. So I will know first hand how well the 480 does!!
Sounds like you need to put a drop of super glue on that to keep it there....:]

Reactions: 222DBFL
Oh yes I have watched some of his stuff. Almost got a heil mic for my Icom 746, but it's hard when I get really good reports from the stock HM12 mic and the right compression and mic settings. It took me some time to get it right. Wasn't just s simple deal!! I spent a lot of time fine tuning things. And I get reports all the time on how well my audio sounds. Get asked all the time what I am running!! Anyway, thanks for the link and I'll let you know about the Kenwood ts480hx soon as my local pal just bought one and is waiting for it to get here from NY. So I will know first hand how well the 480 does!!
Put a drop of super glue on it....it sounds like you got it....:)

Reactions: 222DBFL
I think on Flex radio Facebook page that question was asked to owners and on Support page.
They will not mod for 11m.
The're are some operators that have altered the "TURF" files to do so, however if rig is returned for any service work to Flex they will refuse to work on or software support that rig regardless of model.
At least that's my understanding from previous questions to owners and support staff.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Mudfoot and w9cll
Was wondering what new Ham rig is best for AM 11 meters? (after it has be modded)
Alinco DXSR8T, Icom 718, Kenwood TS480 sat .Also for that matter what is best for SSB also.These radio on the new market are about the most price friendly the Kenwood is higher than the others but it does have a built in tuner.
480 sat, should have never sold mine. I hear the guy I sold it to and he sounds great.

Just buy a CB. None of them will do a 100 watts on AM & they are pretty much designed for SSB & CW use at full output. Most don't sound that great on AM & they usually put out from 25 to 40 watts PEP on AM. Most people will be running an amplifier on 11 meters these days so you would need to turn the radio down or you will overdrive the average CB amplifier. I've never been a fan of operating any radio where it does not belong & I much preferred LOUD BOOMING AM audio & it's why I ran the TRAM, BROWNING, & DAK Base radios with their MONSTER AUDIO on AM. YES I was an AUDIO MONSTER when I was on 11 meters. Many of the Very OLD Tube Base radios from long ago would give you some very strong AM Audio but those are very expensive & some are High Maintenance as well & they require a separate transmitter & receiver.

The Icom 718. They do great on SSB, and with a few tweaks, great on AM as well. All you have to do is turn the carrier down to about 20w, max power can be turned up to make it do 200w, but I left mine at 100w. The stock mic has a lot of punch, add some compression, and you can be as loud as you want. I run my rack gear into the accessory port in the back, bypassing all the radios audio. I turned the power down from the front of the radio to about 70w, with a 4 pill amp behind it. Big, clean radio without breaking the bank.

Reactions: binrat and The turd

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated