• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best type of coax?

Brian G

Dec 21, 2020
Hi
Survey: what is the “best” coax type to use either for patch cord or longer runs? I always used to use regular RG8. But now everything is that thin 8x stuff. Not sure if that’s really any good because of the thinner profile.

would be interested in opinions.
Thanks.

I like 400, too, but in short jumper lengths it's like wrestling with a python and losing.
For short jumpers, 6" to 6', I like RG8x. Flexible, not bulky, and in short usage inconsequential losses even for VHF.
Furthermore, I can't afford to pay the cost of LMR400 jumpers. Small jumpers are proportionately more expensive as they shorten for any type coax. I do not like rolling my own where jumpers are concerned. Make and market some good reasonable cost compression fittings like are available for F type connections and I'm on board.

Last edited:
I bought what I thought is the "good stuff" for my base station, DX Engineering RG8X and am not really happy with it , does some wierd swr things like the cheap mobil stuff, next coax purchase will be RG213
I had 8x jumpers in my shack. One day I had to tear the whole thing apart to find a bad connection. Replaced it all with 400 flex and the funky swr stuff went away.

Reactions: freecell and S&W357
I think "weird" SWR behaviors due to adding jumpers is most likely because that length happens to change the overall length of the feedline often resulting in impedance transformation consequentially and coincidentally. (Or, as SM said, bad connections on the jumpers. Not all coax of the same type are created equally).
Sometimes I hope by adding a jumper inline to the feedline it works in my favor.
This, IMO, can occur when changing bands, or using it over very wide bandwidth sweeps.

I use RG213 on HF for the antenna runs and the more flexible RG8 for jumpers. I prefer large but flexible cable for jumpers.

I make my own cables using silver teflon crimp shield/solder tip connectors. With the proper tools like using a coax stripper and ratcheting crimper and die set, I can easily make solid connectors in minutes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated