• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Better than average SSB radio

Elliott Hart

Nov 18, 2017
I'm in the market for a good SSB radio(mobile) that can work 11m. Looking for suggestions. I've been away from the band for a bit. Thanks

I'm in the market for a good SSB radio(mobile) that can work 11m. Looking for suggestions. I've been away from the band for a bit. Thanks
I have used the Uniden 980 in the past,Rock Solid on SSB,no drift,the only negative ( hasn't happened to me personally) part about the radio is that I hear the Screen displays have a habit of failing from what I have heard,also I hear the President McKinnley is a very good radio on SSB( haven't used one personally) just have heard good things about the radio and the President line, etc..

As for export radios: I would personally recommend the Ranger 2950( of course they have to be modified to work on 11 meters) but I have used one also, very Rock Solid on SSB,paired up with a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna and a astatic 636 noise cancelling mic( used both on the Uniden and Ranger) and made lots of contacts in the past,these are just my opinion, Hope this helps and welcome back to the Hobby!!
AE 575
Steve

Reactions: hotrod
It's sort of a crap shoot these days on new radio's. As an example RCI used to have one of the best in the 2950 for decades. Today I wouldn't waste my money on a new one. Same goes for the Stryker 955 v2, some get a good one and others have issues.
Even though the Uniden 980 is out of production it's a decent option for 11m. Just don't let someone "tune" it up, that's when they fail in large numbers. The President Lincoln II plus is a decent radio for SSB talking. Many forum members have had good luck with the Anytone radio's and some of their variants as well. You might also consider a good clean old school radio built by Uniden, prices are up though . You don't want to overpay and then have to have a complete tune and re-cap on top of that.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
I've run one of the President McKinnley's for a couple years now, very pleased with its performance on SSB. The front firing speakers is also a plus.

Thanks for all the replies. I do not have my ticket(As of yet). So a ham rig is out of the question(I do not want to deal a modified radio). I want to buy new. $300 is my limit. The President is right up my alley. I'm in the process of constructing my first slope dipole. So this is just get my feet wet again. I want this station to be totally legal this time around( My first station was 6 element yagi at 6k watts.Those days are long gone). Who has the best sales and service and for this radio? Thanks again.

Wait, when did that happen? I've seen the claim from a couple of eBay sellers over the last few years but Uniden is still selling them.

I checked this site out, they have lot's of radio's that say brand new. Most of them have been out of production for quite some time. Maybe they have a large supply of NOS I don't know.

I have the Anytone 6666 I have the 5555N2 all so, but the 6666 was my 1st anytone . If a new radio is what you want the anytone is under $300.00 the 6666 will get you in to 11 meters and you can do the conversion yourself by using the menu . The 5555 will get you to 11 meters all most as easy. Both will do 50 watts or more on SSB for my money the anytone is #1 . I just cannot see buying a new CB radio and then paying more money to get 11meters after your done all you have is a used cb radio that will do what 20 or 30 watts and if you want more watts you have to buy a linear even more money . Thats my 2 cents worth .

A will agree that the 6666 is a very functional radio right out of the box, I have the 9900 version and it is a good radio, I bought it because it covers 10 and 12 meters and I have my ticket.

The op said he wants to stay with a approved FCC radio.
Now days this is very limited with only 3 radios new with SSB that are available.
The McKinley, 980 and the 148.
Not like years ago when GE, Midland, Royce, Radio Shack, and others made multiple AM/SSB models to chose from.
Years ago I would suggest looking for a good used FCC cert radio, but the used market is insanely high.

Jeff

Last edited:
A will agree that the 6666 is a very functional radio right out of the box, I have the 9900 version and it is a good radio, I bought it because it covers 10 and 12 meters and I have my ticket.

The op said he wants to stay with a approved FCC radio.
Now days this is very limited with only 3 radios new with SSB that are available.
The McKinley, 980 and the 148.
Not like years ago when GE, Midland, Royce, Radio Shack, and others made multiple AM/SSB models to chose from.
Years ago I would suggest looking for a good used FCC cert radio, but the used market is insanely high.

Jeff
Didn't Cobra stop making the 148,and don't forget about the Galaxy 959 and 979,both FCC type accepted and still being manufactured i believe!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated