• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Better than average SSB radio

Elliott,
I’ve had a couple of Bearcat 980’s and now run a Ranger TRE-797. It is a great radio. Some say it has the same board as the Galaxy 979 which, like most Galaxy radios, was prone to drift a little on SSB. I, however, have noticed none whatsoever and my locals see no evidence of it either. All of them say it is right on and sounds great. The 980 is a terrific radio, but I prefer the 797 because of the RF Power control knob directly on the front.

Elliott,
I’ve had a couple of Bearcat 980’s and now run a Ranger TRE-797. It is a great radio. Some say it has the same board as the Galaxy 979 which, like most Galaxy radios, was prone to drift a little on SSB. I, however, have noticed none whatsoever and my locals see no evidence of it either. All of them say it is right on and sounds great. The 980 is a terrific radio, but I prefer the 797 because of the RF Power control knob directly on the front.
I went with the President Mckinley. Could not be any happier. Thanks Scotts radios

No offence Six Shooter, but that list is absolute bullshit.
A little more research will find the truth.
It was written by a FCC field agent that recommended in the E Mail he sent not to try to enforce it.
All of the radios on the banned list are legal to sell and use by a licensed ham
FCC lost this case over export radios in court, and admitted, under oath, that the radios are legal to sell and use on the ham bands.
This is why now you can buy many many export radios online and the FCC can not stop them.
One of the lawyers that represented Ranger in that case is a member of this forum.
The case was dismissed with prejudice and can not be brought again.
There is the court case and related law that can be found online were not only did the FCC lose, they were ordered to pay Rangers legal bills, the United States District Attorney that brought the case was reprimanded by the judge, and ordered to come before the court and explain why he should not be brought up on charges for withholding evidence in the case.
That list has been copy and pasted on the internet for years.
It is total bullshit.

Jeff

Only sharing what I found. Don't shoot the messenger for what they share. I have not found the case law that you mentioned so if you have a link Please Share it for all of us to read. Thanks much.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

Has anyone ever had the issue with the numbers in the display on the Ranger 2950 just fading away? It comes on & looks great for about 5 minutes & then the numbers just fade away. The display lights are still normal & bright so it's not the brightness setting. Thanks much.

SIX-SHOOTER

It is a long read, but it's all there.
Like I said, that list has been copied and pasted all across the internet and one the guys that helped write it even admitted that export radios are no different than any of the major Ham radios being sold in terms of expansion of frequency range.
I don't mean to sound harsh, however this list should be removed from QRZ, they know it is bullshit.

Jeff

Last edited:
I have a few mobile rigs I like for CB that I use at this time, and have for about ten years now. This is NOT in order. Optima MK 1, Mk 2, Mk 3 I have 2 of each and 1 of each has never been opened, where the other 3 get used and I am using the Mk3 at this time in my car with a dx-500 with non red dots in it, and I just cruzzz it at 250 w out. Next up I have a Yaesu 450D in my Ram with a "home brew" 2000 w helper I keep at 1500 w. and for our base I use a SBE Console V. ( but I bring the Yeasu in sometime too) with a "home brew" helper at 5000 w, I run it at 3500 w, I dont want to fry my rigs....

What's the point of running 3.5k?
Experimentation in Propagation. My Pleasure. and it helps in Emergency situations. I must Clarify as well. I don't run at that power when talking around town so to say but when I am dxing as needed. In the car and truck it sits at 100, 200. Base sits on 200 but it can change as needed. For Key downs I have a little pace 123a that feeds into , and so on and so on ...

Experimentation in Propagation. My Pleasure. and it helps in Emergency situations. I must Clarify as well. I don't run at that power when talking around town so to say but when I am dxing as needed. In the car and truck it sits at 100, 200. Base sits on 200 but it can change as needed. For Key downs I have a little pace 123a that feeds into , and so on and so on ...
Ahh..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated