• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Biggest Antenna on the Planet

Jaydean

Dec 18, 2019
Hi Folks
Just wondering if anyone's seen the new antenna that Motormouth Maul has just put up. I've never seen anything like it before. It has a 117 foot long boom and 16 elements on 27Mhz! Iv'e seen big antennas before but nothing like this. https://www.computer7.com/the-biggest-cb-antenna-on-the-planet/
biggest-cb-antenna-large.jpg

Wow, I wonder what the beamwidth is on that antenna? Lots of rotor operation there following the different DX stations. Hope it stands many years and to hear him on it soon.

Biggest antenna? nope.
The OH8X 160m yagi is a 3-element monster with 12.9dBi gain that stands over 100m high and weighs a staggering 40 tonnes. It occupies a site of around 29,000 square meters and was built from 450 meters of tower sections, which needed 600 litres of paint.

160 and 80 meter beams at OH8X
upload_2020-10-9_11-40-37.jpeg

Last edited:
Biggest antenna? nope.
The OH8X 160m yagi is a 3-element monster with 12.9dBi gain that stands over 100m high and weighs a staggering 40 tonnes. It occupies a site of around 29,000 square meters and was built from 450 meters of tower sections, which needed 600 litres of paint.

View attachment 40874

Sorry what I meant was that it is perhaps the biggest CB Antenna on the planet. Yes your antenna certainly wins size wise. Wow what a ripper. Thank you for sharing this with me.
Kind regards Jaydean

Reactions: Slowmover
What if it’s as big as the house?
A home is a world, so, . . . .

I’d been looking forward to reading this thread and it’s links after work. Then I passed this beaut in the last miles to the receiver.

That boom really did look about as long as that house.

1DAE74DB-888E-4DD5-8BB2-FBDD33030267.jpeg

Sorry about my 53-mph photo. This really is size-impressive, but it’s all the rest that’d make any of you slow in admiration.

I hope the owner claims it with a better pic.

Last edited:
"Jim Creek achieves its worldwide range by transmitting a very powerful, very low frequency (VLF) signal, one with a wavelength of approximately seven miles and a frequency of only 24.8 KHz."

That power and frequency is very alarming to wildlife in the ocean and proves the claims it harmed thousands of dolphins, is absolutely true! This frequency range is dead center in the dolphins normal hearing bandwidth which extends to 50Khz. Obviously we need to communicate but don't pretend it didn't have consequences.

PS: Your dog can hear to 45 Khz. Wonder how they behave around that transmitter site? This transmitter is essentially a high powered, modulated dog whistle.

Last edited:
"Jim Creek achieves its worldwide range by transmitting a very powerful, very low frequency (VLF) signal, one with a wavelength of approximately seven miles and a frequency of only 24.8 KHz."

That power and frequency is very alarming to wildlife in the ocean and proves the claims it harmed thousands of dolphins, is absolutely true! This frequency range is dead center in the dolphins normal hearing bandwidth which extends to 50Khz. Obviously we need to communicate but don't pretend it didn't have consequences.
OK, thats interesting I will take a better look at that. Yes transmitting at low frequencies like that is a bit of a worry especially when they use such huge power.

Reactions: Slowmover
Biggest antenna? nope.

View attachment 40874

Just an idea of the true scale of the tower section beam elements..
scale_160m-150x150.jpg

And to have something this big horizontal at 300 ft is amazing ....

Reactions: Tokin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.