• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning Golden Eagle Mark III

Caps are cheap and very easy to install in a hard wired radio. The big variable is the labor charge. If you're only changing power supply caps because of hum, that's way under an hour job. If you can wire a mic, you can consider soldering these in yourself.

Caps are cheap and very easy to install in a hard wired radio. The big variable is the labor charge. If you're only changing power supply caps because of hum, that's way under an hour job. If you can wire a mic, you can consider soldering these in yourself.

Right now just want a ballpark estimate of the cost to compare to what he quotes me for replacing all the caps.

loosecannon, nomad, dmans, anybody?

Last edited:
Again, I’m not currently shopping for someone to do the work and certainly will not hold anyone to the price they provide. I just don’t have any idea what it will cost me to get the radio re-capped ($100? $500?) and would like some idea. This will help me decide if I want to purchase it and if I want this fella to do the work.

Need some help please.

Riverman,
I would think $100.00 in labor would be fair to replace the caps. Maybe slightly more ($25.00?) if "re-stuffing" the original multi section capacitors to keep the original look. Guys that do this for a living may very well have a different price in mind.
When recapping a tube rig, I always replace the larger value (greater than 1 watt) resistors as well. But that's just my preference/habit.

I have not charged labor to anyone that I have done work for, since for me it is a hobby and learning experience. Some guys have given me items/gear that was broken or no longer wanted that I have repaired and kept for myself or scavenged for parts. For me that is payment enough. I also have a paying job that consumes about 70 hours per week of my time. With retirement looming, it could be my part time gig as I am unable to stay idle!

Good luck! Please post pictures if you move on this. I love the old gear and love keeping some of it going!

David

Riverman,
I would think $100.00 in labor would be fair to replace the caps. Maybe slightly more ($25.00?) if "re-stuffing" the original multi section capacitors to keep the original look. Guys that do this for a living may very well have a different price in mind.
When recapping a tube rig, I always replace the larger value (greater than 1 watt) resistors as well. But that's just my preference/habit.

I have not charged labor to anyone that I have done work for, since for me it is a hobby and learning experience. Some guys have given me items/gear that was broken or no longer wanted that I have repaired and kept for myself or scavenged for parts. For me that is payment enough. I also have a paying job that consumes about 70 hours per week of my time. With retirement looming, it could be my part time gig as I am unable to stay idle!

Good luck! Please post pictures if you move on this. I love the old gear and love keeping some of it going!

David

David, thank you very much for the info. That is a big help. (y) Will definitely post pics if I get it. :)

Reactions: Slowmover and Dmans
There used to be two that I knew of in Houston. But the old man closed shop. He was proud of those. One of those shops with all the old goodies, piles of radios in various stages of disrepair. He didn't charge alot to guys needing work for CB. But he made alot on TV repair.

There used to be two that I knew of in Houston. But the old man closed shop. He was proud of those. One of those shops with all the old goodies, piles of radios in various stages of disrepair. He didn't charge alot to guys needing work for CB. But he made alot on TV repair.

There’s one with my name on it somewhere here in Texas. Finding it—that’s another matter. o_O

Need a good laugh? Go to ebay and look at radios.

On second thought, there aren't many laughs to be found there.

Where are the really good radios stashed? And don't say Craigslist. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard U812
Can someone give me the dimensions of the Mark III?
Maybe pull out a tape measure?
I can't remember and have searched the internet with no luck. :unsure:
Also, what does the Browning X-100 Transadapter do?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.