• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning Golden Eagle Mark III

Also, what does the Browning X-100 Transadapter do?
It allows use of the SSB transmitter and the AM transmitter with the same receiver via front panel switches.
I believe not all Mark II's were AM and SSB transmitters-but a separate SSB transmitter (SSB-15 I think??) was available.
I have seen AM only Mark III transmitters but kind of rare.

David

It allows use of the SSB transmitter and the AM transmitter with the same receiver via front panel switches.
I believe not all Mark II's were AM and SSB transmitters-but a separate SSB transmitter (SSB-15 I think??) was available.
I have seen AM only Mark III transmitters but kind of rare.

David

Ah!
Thank You, Dmans!

Now if someone will venture out to their storeroom and measure their Mark III sitting dusty on a shelf, I'll be fixed up. :giggle:

what does the Browning X-100 Transadapter do?
It takes care of a curious flaw in the Golden Eagle Mark 2 station design.

The 1968 Golden Eagle receiver was the first Browning receiver to offer sideband. They already had the AM transmitter, much like the previous models. To transmit sideband, you had to buy a separate sideband-only transmitter.

Go figure.

Somebody figured out that changing all those plugs to go from AM to SSB or back wouldn't be all that appealing. The solution is that "Transadapter" box. Had all the hookups for two transmitters and one receiver. A switch on the front selected either the AM (only) transmitter or the SSB transmitter.

No joke.

It takes care of a curious flaw in the Golden Eagle Mark 2 station design.

The 1968 Golden Eagle receiver was the first Browning receiver to offer sideband. They already had the AM transmitter, much like the previous models. To transmit sideband, you had to buy a separate sideband-only transmitter.

Go figure.

Somebody figured out that changing all those plugs to go from AM to SSB or back wouldn't be all that appealing. The solution is that "Transadapter" box. Had all the hookups for two transmitters and one receiver. A switch on the front selected either the AM (only) transmitter or the SSB transmitter.

No joke.

Never knew that. My transmitter in the 70s had both. I don’t think I’ve ever seen their “SSB Only” transmitter.

Happen to know the dimensions of the Mark III? :giggle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.