• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Built an Astroplane in an afternoon.

Thank you, Sir.

Set up outside under my umbrella (too #&*#$^@%$ hot otherwise) I put the MFJ209 and the frequency counter in lline and this is what it says.

2.0:1 ------------------------ 29.695
1.0:1 ------------------------ 27.875
1.1:1 ------------------------ 27.405
1.2:1 ------------------------ 27.205
1.5:1 ------------------------ 26.695
2.0:1 ------------------------ 26.415

The setup testing:

I checked my old Top One SWR bandwidth curves and they show through just the feed line about 3.28 mhz also. I would say that is an excellent model you built.

BTW, I was hearing Ark a while ago, and I was calling for you and Red said he would tell you I was calling.

Readjusted some things, tightened up some joints, recalibrated measurements, changed out the center spreader for plexiglass plate, and beefed up the clamp on the longest leg to the top plate. I think it has a little more symmetry.

4924.jpg
4923.jpg

4925.jpg

Last edited:
I got to tell you homer......If i was stuck in the middle of the Sahara Desert with a broken down vehicle, and no spare parts you are the guy that is going to get the call.....

" Here is your problem, see this wire is burned up....no wire...not a problem, hand me that paper bag....ok now see if we take this pencil and cover the paper completely by drawing all over it on both sides, then roll it up like this...see the lead is conductive, now hand me that soda pop can and let me git my swiss army knife ........"

I have the Homebrew Astroplane back up temporarily as I do repairs and upgrades to the tip-over tower. The SWR is still great, and it works a charm.

5638.jpg

5640.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
GRATE JOB HOMMER !

Grate job HOMMER on the home brew antenna !! Now how about a little more information on that tiltover tower ? I,am very interested in it & i can only assume others might be also ,,,, always look forward to reading your post & input on others . thank you,,,,,,,,, 'cordova lucky 13' Bob.A.

Reactions: 1 person
How does the coaxial cable attach to the antenna?

The image below shows the basic idea for the coax connection, but the real antenna uses a special type of connector that isolates the end of the bowed-in element descending down to the hoop on the left.

If you isolate this element at the bracket you can also use a pigtail connection for your coax and eliminate the use of a connector.

View attachment AstroPlane dimensions.pdf

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated