1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Built an Astroplane in an afternoon.

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by HomerBB, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Eireguy

Eireguy Member

Sweet setup

2. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Some Astroplane materials for those interested.
    It was put through a translator into English, so some of the reading is odd.
    Nevertheless, I found it a very interesting read and it speaks to some of the points of discussion that has plagued the AP to this day.
    I see some of the old points of discussion are entering into the discussion of the Top One and New Top One, too. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

#47 HomerBB, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  3. High Voltage Mobile NJ

HOMERBB IS IN THE HOUSEEEEEEEEEE > great job;)

4. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

It's been a while. Next AP will be all metal.

5. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

I have the homebrew AP back in the air. The fellow I sold it to for the cost of the materials in it no longer needed it. His son was the recipient of the antenna. The son moved away and was no longer using it. It was given back to me for the price of taking it off the push up pole it was on. It has been in the air through thick and thin for 2-1/2 years now between my place and his, and still registers a very good SWR in spite of being CPVC skinned with aluminum duct tape.

[​IMG]

#50 HomerBB, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Marconi and binrat like this.
  6. The DB

The DB Sr. Member

Not bad for what is essentially plastic and some metal foil tape...

The DB

7. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

It more or less provides a bit of confirmation on skin effect.

8. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Homer the Wizard.
    Just read this old thread for the first time, couldn't be more impressed. Very well done. Hope you're still 'brewin.

HomerBB likes this.
  9. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Thanks, Crawdad.
    I do, from time to time.
    Things keep me busy, and I rarely have the time to play, but I scratch the itch when I can.
    Take care.

Crawdad and Handy Andy like this.
  10. Riverman

Riverman Premium VIP Member

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Couldn’t agree more, Jeff.
    Wasn’t Homer in that movie, The Flight of the Phoenix, with Jimmy Stewart?
    If he wasn’t, he should have been!

Now, a question about the antenna.
    Has anyone tried one using copper wire inside the tubing in lieu of the aluminum tape?

#55 Riverman, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  11. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

I haven't but it's worth a try. Only issue that might arise is how it would influence resonance. I don't know, but I think the dimensions affect proximity of the elements to each other which may be critical.

Riverman likes this.
  12. Hairball

Hairball New Member

HomerBB,

I have a new Targa Astroplane in the garage ready to go up. I currently run a Sirio Gainmaster with good results but want to see if the Targa will work as good or better. I replaced all the fasteners with stainless. I have 2 questions.
    Will the mast lenght affect the swr/performance. The mast will be about 35-40' long.
    I live on the southern end of Lake Michigan and get sustained high winds. Is there a way to secure the ring from moving under high winds. I would perfer not using string or fishing line.

Thank you,

Harry

13. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Some like to isolate the mast at 9' below the ring, however I never did opting only to choke my feedline at that point.
    As for the securing the ring I usually use zip ties, or cable ties as some call them.

Like this on the V4k ring:

20200427_190316-01-01.jpeg

14. Hairball

Hairball New Member

Thank you for the information. How will the zip ties hold up long term from the ultraviolet light from the sun?

15. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Go to the electrical dept of a diy store and look for the black UV resistant ties.