1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Built an Astroplane in an afternoon.

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by HomerBB, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Homer, you amaze me. In 30 years of working on this stuff I have never seen anyone make elements out of PVC and aluminum tape. Very innovative and I like the idea for something this size.

2 people like this.

2. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

This is what happens when a Master of All Things Hardwarian becomes involved in a Hobby like radio, Homer is the guy you want in the engine room when you are out to sea, no land in site, and the power is out....
    He can get them fixed with duct tape, rubber bands and toilet paper roll.

Jeff

3. KC9Q

KC9Q Supporting Member

Homer,

Attached is a pdf of the pre-production version of the manual. It provides many parts dimensions, but nothing useful on the loop. Got the antenna around 1967 when Avanti first started in Addison, IL. Bought antenna from the owner.

Mike

Attached Files:

4. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Thanks, KC9Q!

I love any info that adds to my data base .
    This Homebrew is across town being used every day by a fellow who has no means of buying any production antenna. A proud family refused to be given the antenna, so payed me a price of parts in it.

I just try to make them from things lying about the house or in local hardware stores.

2 people like this.
  5. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

As I wrote before somewhere on this forum, I once repaired a destroyed front right hub where the race seat was gouged out with about three inches from the end of my leather belt.
    I was only 18 years old.
    We were stranded in Sheffield, TX without a resource out there for another hub. Rather than leave the car there for a week and return from Houston with a hub I cut off the belt, wound it into the race seat, put the new race on the now leather seat, dropped in the bearing, and tightened everything up. I spun it to see if the required number of rotations were being made, then I shook it back and forth to test whether the bearing was properly seated, and satisfied called Dad out to inspect. We loaded up into the two cars and a few hours later sailed ;) into Houston 450 miles distant at speed. I have never looked back since then.

Git ur dun.

6. Radio Tech

Radio Tech Radio Operator

Had one of these back in the 70's along with an astro beam. Really liked them antennas. And always wished I had another one.

Great job on the build

7. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Thank you RT.
    I enjoyed building it. It won't be the last one I make.

1 person likes this.
  8. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

yea he,s gonna build me one...lol

9. BlackSkillet

BlackSkillet Member

I have a Avanti Astroplane missing is the Base Clamp Assembly with SO-239 connector i am trying to find one or wondered how can i make one????

10. Lil'Yeshua

Lil'Yeshua .......

11. RADIOOMAN

RADIOOMAN Active Member

Never saw this thread before till just now.
    Homer..... you da man!!
    I love this kind of stuff!

1 person likes this.
  12. Lil'Yeshua

Lil'Yeshua .......

13. Lil'Yeshua

Lil'Yeshua .......

Got it this time

Attached Files:

14. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Black Skillet,
    If you go back to the beginning of the thread you'll see a photo of the upper base plate where the coax connects to the antenna. Zooming it in closer reveals how I directly connected the coax to the antenna without the need of a pl239 in place. I used a piece of PVC tube to insulate the part of the descending tube assembly to which the center conductor attaches and the rest is history. You'll see a hole in the base plate where i put a second u-bolt to hold the plate securely to the descending tube.
    On my next AP build I will likely simply put on a pl230 on the top plate and make it similar to original.
    The way I did this one I used a section of coax that resided on the AP permanently traveling down the center mast with a coax choke 9' below the ring position finished off with a barrel connector to attach my feed line to.
    The aluminum plate was available at Home Depot.

15. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Glad you liked it, Radioman