• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone tell me what this amp is worth?

Yea it's just an example of a new black face. I could not find anyplace selling the nice blue 225 or 250's right now.

Any amp that has the 1446 transistor is probably class C. If you look at thompson datasheet, the transister is made for class C operation. Not really designed for A or AB. But can be done.

Even though it's class C the KL-203 is bang for the buck for sure.

well it's not really class C and not really AB either, I mean listen to the on the air esp on SSB, they sound great, and class C sound like cat poo poo smells on SSB

mosfets are closer to a deep AB or a maybe a B at worse

My 2 cents, I had one of those amps once. I think I paid just shy of $100 for it on eBay, then sold it later for the same price. That was 3-4 years ago. If it's a Palomar Elite, those amps are known for making your SWR's go thru the roof at certain times. There's a fix for it though IIRC I believe it involved a capacitor.

Looked on eBay tonight, there was a shiny green Palomar 250 HD Lizard that went for $107 + $9 to ship it. Been eying some similar Palomar linears and that's about the going price. Of course on eBay everything sells for more so it seems.

In case anyone cares, ive had it for a while now and have been pleased with it. It dead keys on am from around 60 to 100 watts low med and high. Skip and dx contacts say i sound great. On ssb i have to turn up the
Power on radio a bit to keep the Relays open but was swingin upwards of 300 or more watts. Had a couple dx contacts in the UK , california and texas from ny
This week with it on 37lsb. So im happy. We will see how
Long it lasts

In case anyone cares, ive had it for a while now and have been pleased with it. It dead keys on am from around 60 to 100 watts low med and high. Skip and dx contacts say i sound great. On ssb i have to turn up the
Power on radio a bit to keep the Relays open but was swingin upwards of 300 or more watts. Had a couple dx contacts in the UK , california and texas from ny
This week with it on 37lsb. So im happy. We will see how
Long it lasts
Hey, thats great it working for you, but remember that dx is not a good way to measure the performance.
I've been working the other side of the pond for days now on 11 and 10 metres with a mobile and about 35 watts max.

This is what I use to drive my big amp....my baby driver. If you are going to do something, do it right the first time. :laugh:

800HDBASE.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.