1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Cant find a radio repair person anywhere

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by groundwire, Oct 12, 2020.

1. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Think of a degree as a "license to learn". Won't necessarily teach you how to do something useful, but it should teach you how to learn something useful.

Tokin, r carl, Eldorado828 and 2 others like this.

2. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

should but i know several who passed college with flying colors n cant screw a lite bub in n are over 55 years old.
    An educated man will study the problem n why it happened
    A smart man will try to discover a quick permanant fix for the problem

NZ8N, 144inBama and Eldorado828 like this.
  3. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Well i gave up. Everyone i contacted is not taking in repairs because they are backed up for at least 3 months or more so they say. Sooo, in the garbage it went. Now i gotta find another one that hopefully works properly this time. Oh well

Slowmover and Rwb like this.
  4. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 Amarillo Tx Standing By

Shoot, would have bought that radio from you how it is.

Slowmover, Rwb and cralt like this.
  5. red97k1500

red97k1500 Well-Known Member

It was still worth money lol.
    Edit: and it was from eBay, so it was probably at least 200 dollars shipped, I hope you didn’t really throw it away, and are just frustrated. What will you do if the next 148 gtl you buy has a problem with it? I’m not trying to be rude at all, but just about every radio I have bought online has had at least one minor problem with it.

#35 red97k1500, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    r carl, Slowmover and Rwb like this.
  6. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Lol, it was $200. Oh well. And yea i did toss it. I dont wanna deal with the whole placing an ad, pack it, ship it etc. Im just gonna buy new from now on. Used only if i can get it in person to check out first. I have been burned to many times already

r carl, Slowmover and Rwb like this.
  7. ExitThirteen

ExitThirteen Grumpy and Cranky

I'd take it on if I wasn't backed up 6-8 weeks out. The locals here keep me very busy with repairs and mods. :(

~Cheers~

144inBama, Slowmover and Rwb like this.
  8. OldTech03

OldTech03 Sr. Member

I have around 150 units on the back burner and about 27 in the shop 2 weeks ago I had 44 units on the shelf and some of those back burners may send it somewhere else but there will be 50 in their place so it is just the way it is.

Shadetree Mechanic, Slowmover and Rwb like this.
  9. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

This is my approach for now. I recommend consideration.

Buy new, brother. Have one you’re happy with at every location (car, house, camper, etc). And a solid backup for each of those. The full range of gear. Antennas, too. No exceptions.

See to it that family and neighbors are served. Channel the energy outwards awhile.

Then try antiquities & oddities another day.

10. 443

443 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Damn he really threw it in the trash? $200 radio. I'd bet a little money it was simply the VCO Voltage... a little twisty and a voltmeter and he would have been in business with a minty '94 148. Where's that trash can located lol?

barefootindian, NZ8N, Rwb and 2 others like this.
  11. Eldorado828

My thoughts as well

Rwb likes this.
  12. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Its just money, i make more every day (y)
    No but seriously, its just a cb radio and if i have to go thru hell and high water just for a simple cb repair service then forget it. I would rather just buy another one, less hassle

Tokin, Rwb, 443 and 1 other person like this.
  13. 443

443 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

To me it's crazy how things have changed. I've been around a while and just 20 years ago we had several options in the Houston area for good techs that would actually repair stuff, not just mic wiring, mods, and peaking. Now those guys are all gone, passed away, or retired. All that's left is people that wire mic's, install antennas, set SWR, and some that will install Noise Toys. Noone does repairs/troubleshooting anymore. Totally different world than 20 years or so ago in this same area.

14. Eldorado828

I agree, Even techs to do a true alignment are getting scarce.

Rwb and groundwire like this.
  15. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike Sr. Member

Parts, techs and radio's are becoming more unobtanium with each passing day. Having such a respected radio being trashed like this is disrespectful. As already noted, many in the know here would have paid the freight to keep it alive.

Tokin, guitar_199, 144inBama and 3 others like this.