• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can't get the noise out of my Radio, foot on or off the gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.....Dats what it looks like. See my "added info" in my reply. Stopped by Kav's and looked at it. 500w Farad.

"Added info:
Just looked at that RF Filter Kav installed, it's a 500K micro Farad, basically a big back-up battery with a Capacitor. Nice digital LED display for voltage. he found it on shelf at Wally World in the car stereo section. We are not sure if it works any better than a Ferrite core wrapped and a 4700uF 35v cap. I have some spare parts to build the latter. My Stryker 497 seems to pick up RF noise some, I may need it when installed into the truck. Also some clamp on toroid's along the positive lead help cut down on noise."

Last edited:
It is odd that disconnecting the fan removes 90% of the noise. In my experience the engine cooling fan (I assume that is the fan that you are referring to) comes on under just a few conditions-
1. Engine cooling temperature reaching a pre-determined threshold (ex. 190 degrees engine coolant temperature)
2. ECM detects a "Hi Pressure" reading in the A/C line (Signifying that the air conditioner is on and the condenser needs the air flow)
3. Combination of 1 and 2 above putting the engine cooling fan into high speed.

If the fan is not running, such as initial cranking/running of the engine from cold start, I don't understand what could be causing noise/interference when disconnecting the fan motor??

Not trying to be argumentative here or casting doubt on your findings, just trying to understand.

73's
David
All I know is fan unplugged and noise down, about 90%over 1000rpm.
Plugg back in...noise is back.

All I know is fan unplugged and noise down, about 90%over 1000rpm.
Plugg back in...noise is back.

Very odd. Without the fan running, current only travels as far as the cooling fan relay. It is on "standby" until the ECM turns it on. Unplugging the fan motor still leaves current traveling only up to the fan relay.

Brushed or brushless motor issues???? Power wires acting as an antenna and motor as the "noise" transmitter???

Reactions: Robb
Can you replace the fan?

Thinking the noise issue in more in the fan assembly itself - meaning the fan is the noise - no true means to clean that up unless you can replace the fan and examine the harness for damage.

Reactions: Dmans
Very odd. Without the fan running, current only travels as far as the cooling fan relay. It is on "standby" until the ECM turns it on. Unplugging the fan motor still leaves current traveling only up to the fan relay.

Brushed or brushless motor issues???? Power wires acting as an antenna and motor as the "noise" transmitter???
I think I may have found something out about a "side air bag"sensor after digging around under the dash( had to remove seats)that is now on and off (light on dash).

Can you replace the fan?

Thinking the noise issue in more in the fan assembly itself - meaning the fan is the noise - no true means to clean that up unless you can replace the fan and examine the harness for damage.
I could replace the fan.....But now I have a sensor showing up..... I need to think for a few days and get back to it.

saw that too. I am given it a day to think....I had to remove the seats to get under the seats...I am 6 .3 1/2 260 and a Honda is tight inside...

Have you checked the fuel delivery system? Either fuel pump or injectors. Not sure how many volts it takes a Honda injector to pop, but a Ford Powerstroke Diesel takes about 110-120v to open an injector. It's HIGH ENERGY right at an injector. They open and close really fast multiple times a second. I would try to isolate the RF from the radio's system by grounding and ferrite toroids on positive lead.........or possibly getting a full size Ford, Dodge, or Chevy truck......something you can actually fit into.

Not to derail, but I don’t think the man meant he couldn’t fit in the car. I think he meant it was hard to get under the dash with the seats in the car. And hard to get under the seats in such a small car.

I’m about the same size as him and I have a 2002 Turbo S Beetle, probably smaller than that Honda. I wouldn’t have a truck if you have it to me, rather my Turbo S.

Also... he said it didn’t come into the radio until the ground side of the coax was connected. So it’s on the ground side. I have no suggestion to fixing it though, it’s peobably really simple but just being overlooked.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.