• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB dedicated dipole?? Half or Full Wave?

You will enjoy using the A99 far more than the inverted V dipole.
I have made and used an extended zepp dipole with 1/4 wave homemade open wire tuning section. It worked fine, but was not as universally useful as a vertical antenna up higher.
Perhaps you should get the A99 and experiment with the wire dipole just for fun.

I built a 1/2 Dipole and hung it in a tree 20 ft up. I used a 1.1 Balun. I had it set as horizontal, and then inverted V configuration. Local stations were very week in either position. I moved it all around including north south, and easy West, and it just wasn't worth a dang. Now I do know how to build antennas, and have built several antennas for differant bands with great success. But that Dipole just didn't cut it.
I got tired of white noise all day, so I took a chance on the Imax. Gigantic differance. My radio is working again, and my log book is filling up fast. The Imax may not be perfect, but I'm diggin it.

We used to all use dipoles here, cut out a lot of the hash and trash and were more quiet than the fishing pole sticks.

Down side is if whoever you are talking to local is vertical polarized it makes for tough qso.

Get a couple pieces of 1/2" conduit and make a vertical dipole, works good and costs les than $10

Mudfoot I am also considering a inverted V. I am in a HOA and have both my neighbor and my wife complaining about antennas. My homebuilt quarter wave vertical I took off my house and hid it in the trees. That took a lot of pressure off from the complaints of the wife and neighbor. I still have 11 meter Moxon up and they wish it would just fall down one day. Still the Moxon antenna is pretty nice at skip (even when using NO extra watts to shoot skip) so I ignore them.

What I discovered when moving the vertical off the house an into the trees was how much reduction of noise I had. The EFI and RFI from my house is considerable. So moving out from the house 30 feet really helped drop the noise level. With that I am going to keep my inverted v experiment away from the house.

Reactions: Mudfoot
I have played the "what if" game in my mind. So supposing we suddenly have no way of driving around in a vehicle for "whatever" reason I can see a lot of flat side antennas going up. They would be easier in a lot of ways. Then we would be all the same polarity and not worry about the mobile contacts. Just having fun in my mind. Doubt it will occur but it passed through my brain one afternoon.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?