• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB dipoles

Way back when I used 2 setups of 2 102" mobile whips and 2" threaded spacer set up for 27Mhz in attic of parents home and did a north south and an east west and it worked well too, I also used a switch box said horiz a vert and a horiz/vert and used all 3 just messing around been awhile a long while lol but was fun to use and did job always talked to a person down in Caracas venzuauala on ssb. So it worked with no differnce in using it singularly vs combined.

SWR's were great too @1.1:1 to a little to right on 1.3:1 throughout the spectrum, I mean 1-40 wink.

Way back when I used 2 setups of 2 102" mobile whips and 2" threaded spacer set up for 27Mhz in attic of parents home and did a north south and an east west and it worked well too, I also used a switch box said horiz a vert and a horiz/vert and used all 3 just messing around been awhile a long while lol but was fun to use and did job always talked to a person down in Caracas venzuauala on ssb. So it worked with no differnce in using it singularly vs combined.

SWR's were great too @1.1:1 to a little to right on 1.3:1 throughout the spectrum, I mean 1-40 wink.

Sounds like a nice set-up.

Road ranger I love on the 2nd floor apartment on the top of a hill, 4 watt stock radio I can get out about 20 miles.

Sounds like a nice set-up.

Kinda, I made it myself as a teen thinking why not, it should work and did well and the roof was a rock roof too and outside in vehicle got s7 to s9 noise levels inside using them s5 to just under s7 so not too bad of loss and when listening the the station in Caracas inside got @s9 and outside boomed in well so was happy and I was using radio shack rg8u I put up the side of the wall and into ceiling inside closet and covered it, got west coast stations ect and all I ran was @12-25 watts. On ssb

Road ranger I love on the 2nd floor apartment on the top of a hill, 4 watt stock radio I can get out about 20 miles.

How does that dipole work for talking skip, good I'm guessing depending on conditions. I have used a dr. dipole antenna with good results just being strung up in the huge bedrooom of a house I had rented. Talked skip with just a barefoot Uniden 980 and made quite a few contacts dxing, not sure how well it did local. I also strung it up about 10 feet high in the backyard horizontal, sloper and L just to see how it worked. Right now I am looking for a new place to live, hopefully it won't take too long because I really like tinkering around with the dipole but now I am just mobile. I wish I had tried a dipole out when I lived in a second floor apartment several years ago. I guess the extra height would make a difference? ?

I drive a truck over the road so I only get home about ever 6 weeks or so. I just put it up and only have about 2 hours talk time on it. Took a bit to tune because of electric wires in the wall that I had it on originally was giving me very high swr, wasn't till my wife turned out the light that I realized the problem. So only local talk so far.

Reactions: Slowmover
How does that dipole work for talking skip, good I'm guessing depending on conditions. I have used a dr. dipole antenna with good results just being strung up in the huge bedrooom of a house I had rented. Talked skip with just a barefoot Uniden 980 and made quite a few contacts dxing, not sure how well it did local. I also strung it up about 10 feet high in the backyard horizontal, sloper and L just to see how it worked. Right now I am looking for a new place to live, hopefully it won't take too long because I really like tinkering around with the dipole but now I am just mobile. I wish I had tried a dipole out when I lived in a second floor apartment several years ago. I guess the extra height would make a difference? ?
I use a G5RV Light (65 ft dipole) along with a Texas Star 350 amp and this works fine at around 100 plus watts. It would be a bit limited running barefoot, conditions would have to be very quiet. The band is busy and to bust the pile-up takes a bit of effort.

It's a bit of a shame that the same ancient myth, handed out as advice, constantly regurgitated by some so-called senior experts, that a horizontal dipole cannot be used effectively for local QSO's. It's just not true. Are they perfect for local? No. Do they work for local? YES. Are there nulls in the pattern? Yes, but those nulls are small and in most situations likely don't cause large issues. The polarity mismatch knocks a slight bit off of the Smeter reading but does not prevent clear communication, as good or maybe better than some of the $200 fiberglass tubes that end up radiating mostly from the feedline if they're not set up correctly at the onset (end result= negative gain). Inverted V's can remove/reduce some of the issues mentioned above that make dipoles so mythically horrible for local use.

Perhaps the biggest value that simple dipoles have is the antenna knowledge that can be gained by folks who are looking to learn. Easy to build and put up, they're a great stepping stone to larger/higher gain antennas (most of which are based on a dipole). Perfect for beginners. Constructing and using your first antenna is fun as hell, keeps you in the hobby and dipoles always work. Seems like anyone would be more likely to stay in the hobby in that scenario, especially if they're on a budget as most young beginners are. Then on to bigger and better things because you know how to. Given the correct information, of course.

Newbies/beginners, if you are looking to learn about radio, the forums on WWDX are a rich source of valuable information held by some really smart and dedicated folks who are more than happy to share. Use it, but don't limit yourself to a single source. Let your Google-fingers do the walking and you'll find buckets full of usable info out there that can bolster what you learn here. (Hint: most Ham antennas work just like CB antennas). Bring that info back here and share it and we all get better and have more radio fun. Homebrew the things you read/learn/hear about and try them. You'll enjoy that so much more than just plopping down $ on something you were told was the greatest thing since radio was born. Learn and try, find out for yourself.

Yes this is an old thread but the myths persist and it lit the fire. End of rant.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.