• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB jargon on the amateur bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
C.K. ... I understand the respect issue and in Rome do as the Romans, but I think what I don't understand is the all fired better than everyone posturing that it seems to create...a little education and a lot less brow beating would go a long way ...

A lot of it comes from frustration. Ever been so frustrated about something that you snap at someone? Same thing. I have politely offered good advice and made simple polite requests on the air only to be told to go pound sand as he had a ticket and could do as he damned well pleased and there was nothing in the laws against it. Technically he was right. Technically he was also an ass hole. After listening for a short while you can weed out those who are willing to learn and change and those who are the FU kind.

By saying that someone else should say something to these guys about the way they talk besides you. You have a problem with something? Do something about it.

You missed part of what I was saying. I'm not going to cut into someone's QSO and tell them they sound like a dumbass, even if they do. There have been times in the 10m Tech band that I have politely commented on a thing or two IF it were someone I was talking to-- and I do it from the point of someone who's been at it for over 30 years being helpful to a newbie-- in my opinion that's the way to do it. If I hear someone I happen to know personally doing that I'll make it point to advise them over a brew or what have you. I do not just jump on people.

The thing is, there is nothing I can do about it, as you say. Leading by example and friendly persuasion is more effective anyway.

In the example I mentioned, I was going to call this guy when his QSO ended and strike up a conversation with him and do just that-- then it was 1:00 and the floodgates opened on Field Day. He and his antenna with the "ears" were lost in the tsunami.

Rick

OK, I don't mean new Techs on 10m. I cut those guys some slack and sometimes explain some of the ropes in a friendly way. Everybody's got to start somewhere. That's the main reason Novices and Techs have fewer privileges-- a place to learn without causing any damage to themselves or other operators. (I cut my teeth on the 40m Novice band, and I think all I damaged was my hearing!)

BUT- during my first tests of my yagi this past weekend on 20m, just a few minutes before FD started, I listened to a few QSOs of a station in Georgia. This was interesting to me for a couple of reasons: 1) He was 20/9, which is rare on 20m to Alabama, and 2) He sounded a lot like a CBer-- not an unfriendly guy, but fit the "ratchet jaw" mold.

I assume he was a new general, given that he was on 20. But he kept saying "Rod-joe", "Hay-four", and the like, and mentioned to a couple of people that his new vertical was just up on an 8 foot pole but "has pretty good ears." At first I thought it was a joke, but nope...

Call me elitist if you want to, but I really hate to hear that kind of thing on the ham bands. To me, that's like going to church and shaking the preacher's hand on the way out and saying, "G$d D**n Preacher, you preached like a m&*$%f&*#$r this morning!".

It just doesn't fit. The amateur radio fraternity is a wide umbrella, and one of the great things about the hobby is that there's room for all kinds of people with all kinds of interests. But there are traditions in the fraternity, and if a person doesn't like them, why would he be there? I'm afraid that aspect of amateur radio is getting lost on some people.

What do you think?

Rick
No worse than some crochety old bastard that's been licensed for a hundred years destroying the phonetics code for the sake of sounding kool.

Everyones got to start somewhere. Maybe they haven't been on the air that much and are not familar with how to talk on a ham radio compared to a cb. If I were them, I would listen for a while and see how things are done before I talked so I wouldn't sound like a idoit.

Everyones got to start somewhere. Maybe they haven't been on the air that much and are not familar with how to talk on a ham radio compared to a cb. If I were them, I would listen for a while and see how things are done before I talked so I wouldn't sound like a idoit.

Unfortunately not everyone is like you. Some neither know or give a damn about anything but themselves. Since "all-knobs-to-the-right" worked for them in "skipland" on 11m, it will work just dandy on their new "channels" on 14 meters......I mean 20 Mhz.....I mean....Oh hell, them new freekencies they got. :whistle:

Hams are supposed to be "self policing".

By that, I don't mean snitches. I hate a snitch.

More like "Elmering".

Be nice and gentle and help a noob out.

Maybe direct them to a non-judgmental site like here. Well, it's better than going to QRZ.

Easy to condemn, better to welcome and help.

Hams are supposed to be "self policing".

By that, I don't mean snitches. I hate a snitch.

More like "Elmering".

Be nice and gentle and help a noob out.

Maybe direct them to a non-judgmental site like here. Well, it's better than going to QRZ.

Easy to condemn, better to welcome and help.

That 74 is such a nice man.

This is an interesting thread because I have a slight issue of what is "cb jargon"

No I am not doubting what you are hearing is "cb jargon", but all of it?

I have traveled this country quite a bit, and the dialect of some regions are amazing to me.

There are some that I would think talk on a CB all day and have never owned one in their life :w00t:

I guess all I am saying, not all of it is "cb jargon"

To add a little to the mix to this discussion, do I really want to hear about a prostate, dialysis, hemorrhoids on the radio, NO, but damn I can't turn the VFO fast enough to not hear it on the low bands :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.