• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB jargon on the amateur bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not interested in arguing. I asked for opinions, WW and I disagree, fair enough.

So, radio amateurs, what do you consider the best approach to dealing with and hopefully making some headway with this issue?

I'm not sure what the answer is Rick unless the power's that be go back to the old way of testing and that will never happen. Since the tickets have been pretty much given away the problem has become much worse. There is NO technical standard for a ham ticket anymore and as a result we have more weekend warriors on the bands. What do you do when you politely inform someone of their bad or inappropriate operating procedures and they tell you to go F off and turn the dial if you don't like what you hear? It happens all too often and MOST of it, certainly not all but most, seems to come from the newly minted generals that were automatically upgraded with a change in the CW requirement. I don't want this to become a CW/anti CW thread, that is not my intention, but it seems a lot of those operators just wanted to be able to work phone but had no impetus to actually earn the privilege and instead waited for the inevitable when the phone portions of the bands were handed to them free of charge. It's just like anything else, it is appreciated more when you have to work and earn it. Those of us that did just that tend to react a little more vehemently against those that transgress after not really earning by learning anything.

You can blame the testing, you can blame CB, you can blame anything you'd like. The real problem is the total lack of respect, civility and personal responsibility. These things can be seen in every facet of everyday life from the line in the grocery store, the shopping mall, and the behaviour of our elected political leaders, sports icons and entertainers.

There are amateur radio operators that went through the old testing system and behave terribly on the bands, there are old and new operators that behave terribly on the band who have never touched a CB no matter what testing regime they went through.

Personally I find life to short to get all worked up over some fool on the radio (or the internet for that matter). I take personal responsibility for how I operate that's where the self policing comes in. There is a big dial on the radio and the bands are vast, if I don't like what I hear I spin the dial and go somewhere else. If everyone did that the problem would soon go away because there would be no one for these people with bad operating behaviour to talk to. There wouldn't be any on air fight or jamming or any of that nonsense.

I don't remember anywhere in my testing that the government obligated me to correct others behaviours on the radio.

So personally I disagree that somehow a stranger over the ether is going to change these wayward amateurs. Now if someone is obviously having difficulty on the radio and truly just doesn't seem to know then by all means help the guy out.

Last edited:
You can blame the testing, you can blame CB, you can blame anything you'd like. The real problem is the total lack of respect, civility and personal responsibility. These things can be seen in every facet of everyday life from the line in the grocery store, the shopping mall, and the behaviour of our elected political leaders, sports icons and entertainers.

There are amateur radio operators that went through the old testing system and behave terribly on the bands, there are old and new operators that behave terribly on the band who have never touched a CB no matter what testing regime they went through.

Personally I find life to short to get all worked up over some fool on the radio (or the internet for that matter). I take personal responsibility for how I operate that's where the self policing comes in. There is a big dial on the radio and the bands are vast, if I don't like what I hear I spin the dial and go somewhere else. If everyone did that the problem would soon go away because there would be no one for these people with bad operating behaviour to talk to. There wouldn't be any on air fight or jamming or any of that nonsense.

I don't remember anywhere in my testing that the government obligated me to correct others behaviours on the radio.

I agree with some parts of that but not all especially the part about ignoring it and it will go away. That would only work if 100% of the people did that and there will NEVER be 100% of the people agree on anything. Besides, what is to stop like minded individuals from conversing among themselves and splattering across the bands? How many times have you heard a truley awful sounding station be told by another that he sounded great? Signal strength is a small part of signal quality and that is where the problem of no technical standards comes into play. Basically you are correct about the respect part. Those that don't know and don't want to learn have no respect fro anybody but themselves.

It's one thing to tell someone not to do something - and entirely another thing to explain why NOT to do something. If they cannot get a grip on it then; then either they will or they won't learn at that moment. But to tell them why - is to plant something positive - IMO. At least one can realize some attempt has been made.

I think a little CB jargon is one of the least of ham radio's problems. If they can't or won't clean up 14.275, k1man, the night time redneck 80 meter groups.....we should be so lucky with a few goofy CBer's with a new ticket ;)

I agree with some parts of that but not all especially the part about ignoring it and it will go away. That would only work if 100% of the people did that and there will NEVER be 100% of the people agree on anything. Besides, what is to stop like minded individuals from conversing among themselves and splattering across the bands? How many times have you heard a truley awful sounding station be told by another that he sounded great? Signal strength is a small part of signal quality and that is where the problem of no technical standards comes into play. Basically you are correct about the respect part. Those that don't know and don't want to learn have no respect fro anybody but themselves.

Quick question, how have the self appointed band cops worked out so far?

Answer: They just add to the general garbage on the band, now instead of a couple guys talking like fools, you got a third (or more) in there arguing with them giving them the attention they crave for which they always come back for more. Then the cherry on top is the band cop complains to the FCC, who then feels compelled to listen to this garbage (which they usually just ignore). Eventually they (the FCC) will ask themselves exactly why did we give these half wits all this bandwidth? Then may favourite question, why should we have to do all this work to police a band that makes no money for us?

So personally I disagree that somehow a stranger over the ether is going to change these wayward amateurs. Now if someone is obviously having difficulty on the radio and truly just doesn't seem to know then by all means help the guy out.

simply put: when you move to a new country; you learn their language.

WW, your ass is showing. LOL :love:
LC

Quick question, how have the self appointed band cops worked out so far?

Answer: They just add to the general garbage on the band, now instead of a couple guys talking like fools, you got a third (or more) in there arguing with them giving them the attention they crave for which they always come back for more. Then the cherry on top is the band cop complains to the FCC, who then feels compelled to listen to this garbage (which they usually just ignore). Eventually they (the FCC) will ask themselves exactly why did we give these half wits all this bandwidth? Then may favourite question, why should we have to do all this work to police a band that makes no money for us?

The biggest joke of all has been for the FCC to turn away from enforcement and declare that amateur radio should be "self policing."

Kind of like not having any staffers on forums like these and telling the members to police each other :bdh:

The biggest joke of all has been for the FCC to turn away from enforcement and declare that amateur radio should be "self policing."

Kind of like not having any staffers on forums like these and telling the members to police each other :bdh:

There is not any rule in the fcc regs that says a guy can't say 10-fur on his hf set.

Grow a pair guys and start minding your own business.

Do you really want to pay tax dollars out of your pocket (and mine) to make sure that the correct grammar and lingo is being used on the HAM bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?