• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB jargon on the amateur bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still true 2 years later

Quoted from old thread in 2008...boy did they unload on me then...all below still true...I am with you on this CK...

I figure this will most likely start a fire storm...but just my thoughts from the last few weeks with the band starting to come around...
MHO on good SSB operation:
1: Do not become a kronic QSLer
EX: QSL QSL Mike, I know what you mean I do it myself QSL...QSL QSL Mike I am running 25watts also QSL
2: Below 29.500Mhz...your Roger Beeper is turned OFF
no reason for it!
3: Turn off your feedback(talk-back) audio through the speaker...you sound like your in a 55 gal drum...
OK with headphones...but otherwise Nada!

4: You are never QRT/QSX/QSY or "On the side"
EX: how about simply "(your call)off and clear" or "(your call) now listening" or (your call) moving to 28XXX

5:QSK...does not mean break on SSB!
Simply state your call in a break in the conversation and you will be acknowledged.

6: Echo with ZERO sustain time and at minimum setting will be acceptable...if no one has noticed...otherwise leave it OFF...

7:They are not called PILLS in your Linear
They are transistors in your amplifier...

8: the term is 73....not 73's...and no other numbers are required either
9: There is no such term as CHECK,CHECK

Ok enough for now I know I have heard others lately just can not recall all of them this second...

No I will not make a big deal of any of this "On the Air" except those silly D*** beepers...
and I will politely ask that you turn it off...

I am just stating MO on what I think is good practice after almost 30 years with my call...I am not the prefect one...I have stood corrected myself...just my thoughts and now putting on the flame suit...
All the Best
BJ

You missed part of what I was saying. I'm not going to cut into someone's QSO and tell them they sound like a dumbass, even if they do. There have been times in the 10m Tech band that I have politely commented on a thing or two IF it were someone I was talking to-- and I do it from the point of someone who's been at it for over 30 years being helpful to a newbie-- in my opinion that's the way to do it. If I hear someone I happen to know personally doing that I'll make it point to advise them over a brew or what have you. I do not just jump on people.

The thing is, there is nothing I can do about it, as you say. Leading by example and friendly persuasion is more effective anyway.

In the example I mentioned, I was going to call this guy when his QSO ended and strike up a conversation with him and do just that-- then it was 1:00 and the floodgates opened on Field Day. He and his antenna with the "ears" were lost in the tsunami.

Rick

Making excuses..... Who said you had to interrupt a QSO to tell MackMobile 43....er...ah...I mean....that other guy....:oops:....that he sounds like a dumbass? You could have waited until the QSO was over, gotten the fellow's attention, and then told him that he sounded like a dumbass. Or you could have sought to join their conversation and beat some good sense into the poor hapless CBer-turned-hammy. He would have loved you for that and you could've made a new best friend for life but NO !!!! You blew this excellent opportunity. You make me sad :sad:

No more excuses! But you are hired to join the staff here. They're fishing for a new moddyrator and I find your deflection and obfuscation skills nearly at least as partially good as some of theirs :LOL:

I cannot bear to listen to anymore of this....BLAH !!!!!!

I was new a few years ago. I was making the mistake of keying up and talking to quickly after the operator who I was talking to for anyone to be able to give there call to break in. I got royal hell from a Ham who was listening, he was nasty to me but I tried to respect him and said sorry but thanks I leared something new I never thought about.

He could have been very nice about it. He is lucky I am slow to anger and was polite back. I could have got smart back like he was to me,

I am just saying this to say that I think it is great if someone helps new hams and new hams should be willing to learn from operaters who have been licenced for much longer than they were but it would go a long way to not get nasty with the new ham.

I was a cb operator too before a ham, I had a little trouble at first with the jargon as you put it but tried and stoped the auto cb responce. Now I am operating like a ham should.

AP

I was new a few years ago. I was making the mistake of keying up and talking to quickly after the operator who I was talking to for anyone to be able to give there call to break in. I got royal hell from a Ham who was listening, he was nasty to me but I tried to respect him and said sorry but thanks I leared something new I never thought about.

He could have been very nice about it. He is lucky I am slow to anger and was polite back. I could have got smart back like he was to me,

I am just saying this to say that I think it is great if someone helps new hams and new hams should be willing to learn from operaters who have been licenced for much longer than they were but it would go a long way to not get nasty with the new ham.

I was a cb operator too before a ham, I had a little trouble at first with the jargon as you put it but tried and stoped the auto cb responce. Now I am operating like a ham should.

AP

Good job Mr. Airplane1 (y)

Quick keying is a pet peeve of mine as well.

Leave room for emergency traffic and other operators. Good practice on CB too.

Making excuses..... Who said you had to interrupt a QSO to tell MackMobile 43....er...ah...I mean....that other guy....:oops:....that he sounds like a dumbass? You could have waited until the QSO was over, gotten the fellow's attention, and then told him that he sounded like a dumbass. Or you could have sought to join their conversation and beat some good sense into the poor hapless CBer-turned-hammy. He would have loved you for that and you could've made a new best friend for life but NO !!!! You blew this excellent opportunity. You make me sad :sad:

No more excuses! But you are hired to join the staff here. They're fishing for a new moddyrator and I find your deflection and obfuscation skills nearly at least as partially good as some of theirs :LOL:

I cannot bear to listen to anymore of this....BLAH !!!!!!

What in the HAIL are you talking about? Did you not even read what I just said? Mr. Ratchet Jaw apparently didn't know Field Day was about to start and got flattened by that freight train in mid-Rodjoe. I didn't have the chance to influence him, and you wouldn't have either. If I ever hear him again, I'll bring it up if he's still doing it.

There's a difference in power and influence. He wasn't breaking any laws, and neither you nor you have any power to make him do anything. You seem to think angry confrontation is the solution to this situation. I disagree. I also don't think breaking into a QSO in which I could only hear one side is a good thing to do when I don't know the operators. Trying to correct one bad operating practice by using another isn't the way to go, ever.

If I make you sad then just be sad, dude.

Rick

Last edited:
What in the HAIL are you talking about? Did you not even read what I just said? Mr. Ratchet Jaw apparently didn't know Field Day was about to start and got flattened by that freight train in mid-Rodjoe. I didn't have the chance to influence him, and you wouldn't have either. If I ever hear him again, I'll bring it up if he's still doing it.

There's a difference in power and influence. He wasn't breaking any laws, and neither you nor you have any power to make him do anything. You seem to think angry confrontation is the solution to this situation. I disagree. I also don't think breaking into a QSO in which I could only hear one side is a good thing to do when I don't know the operators. Trying to correct one bad operating practice by using another isn't the way to go, ever.

If I make you sad then just be sad, dude.

Rick

Now what the hail do YOU mean that you didn't have a chance?? Was somebody holding a gun to your head? This situation is important enough for you to take up a bunch of valuable internet bandwidth here to post this thread....but not important enough to actually stop what you weren't doing for a few minutes and assist a fellow human being....and a hammy at that :(

No one brought up a power vs influence point.

I don't have any power to influence him? How do you know that? I most certainly do have some power to influence this fellow...should I choose to exercise it.

Now I must withdraw my previous offer to install you as a moddyrator here. You apparently lack any skill in recognizing high sarcasm and/or humor so you would just become another one of....gasp!....them. And we don't need any more of - them - here. There are enough of - them - already !!

Gentlemen !! Harrumph !!

But but but....the topic is pointless. Humorous "bickering" is all that's left (y)

Pointless?? You mean like your thread on QRZ about the ragchewers on 10m interfering with FD? :LOL: Now THAT went over real well and was truely quite pointless.

Dude....well that's just great. When you find yourself losing an "argument"....just tell the other person to shut up.

Hey! You might just be moddyrator material after all (y)

Final warning about the bickering. No response necessary. Simple actions will speak volumes. Tnx.

Pointless?? You mean like your thread on QRZ about the ragchewers on 10m interfering with FD? :LOL: Now THAT went over real well and was truely quite pointless.

Final warning about the bickering. No response necessary. Simple actions will speak volumes. Tnx.

And what does my thread at QRZ have to do with anything here?

And please explain your basis under the RULES here as to why you are attempting to silence some "bickering."

Please

I'm not interested in arguing. I asked for opinions, WW and I disagree, fair enough.

So, radio amateurs, what do you consider the best approach to dealing with and hopefully making some headway with this issue?

And what does my thread at QRZ have to do with anything here?

Nothing at all other than to show that anyone can be guilty of starting pointless threads. You choose to call this thread pointless. I choose to call the one on QRZ pointless. It's called hypocrisy I guess.

And please explain your basis under the RULES here as to why you are attempting to silence some "bickering."

Please

The thread was going off on a tangent where your only posts seemed to be geared towards jumping all over Rick C. Nothing else constructive was being posted and it was time to put things back on track. If you disagree with that then may I refer you to the TOS of this site?

Any time someone says or does something you disagree with you are all over them for it often making mountains out of mole hills. Lots of times you fail to read the entire post that you comment on and get things screwed up as was the case this time. I DID read all Rick C.'s posts and saw and understood what he was saying about not interrupting the QSO electing instead to wait until it was finished and the timing of the FD start.

This is the last post of mine regarding this in open forum. Anything else may be carried over to PM's but AFAIAC enough has been said already.

Every junkyard dog gives up a bone sometime. It's your turn.

Every junkyard dog gives up a bone sometime. It's your turn.

Only because you are forcing it as you are wearing a badge. I see you couldn't state a rule and you accuse me of hypocrisy?

I read every word of Rick's posts. I simply offered a different viewpoint. It's called having an opinion. If everyone on this site or any discussion board all felt the same way and believed the same things and shared the same view....then discussion board life would be pretty damn boring.

Rick writes back with the reasonable and common sense view that he and I simply disagree on an issue or two.

And that's all this has been, discussion on a discussion board.

Go thump your chest and eat some popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated