• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB License

I know my was with three letters and then four numbers , so when u/ key the mic now what do you do ???? make-up a number or use a hanlder AkA
rubber duck???? things has change since then .

My call from about 1977/78 started with KBIH. The license application came in the box with a 5 watt 6 channel walkie talkie.

Grogan - a Uniden Washington and PDL2 was a nice setup.
By 80 I had a Madison with an Expander 500 mike. But for an antenna had an AstroPlane. Never got a beam in the air for 11m.

My call from about 1977/78 started with KBIH. The license application came in the box with a 5 watt 6 channel walkie talkie.

Grogan - a Uniden Washington and PDL2 was a nice setup.
By 80 I had a Madison with an Expander 500 mike. But for an antenna had an AstroPlane. Never got a beam in the air for 11m.

Ran a PDL2 at 65' and a Shakespeare Big Stick. Radio in those days was a Cobra 135xlr that was later replaced with an ICOM 720a. I would love to find a PDL2 NIB somewhere.

Finding old CB Licenses

Yesterday I was having a conversation with a ham friend of mine. We were reminiscing about our CB days back in the 70"s. We started talking about having a CB license and call sign. He actually remembered his. It was K -something -something and then some numbers. I remember that mine was KABZ and then some numbers I can't remember anymore. He said I was wrong, it couldn't have been a 4-letter prefix. I think I'm right.

Does anybody know where I can go to find my original CB call sign?

I don't know where to find but... In 1962 my dad got me a CB license KFF0805 and I used to talk with a guy he worked with 13W1222, which was one of the first CB licenses. Later, in about 1977 I got my own license KAIC( )356. Also had another for a business I had but lost it when NSA and FCC got upset at my out of band technology research!

KGE-8997. Had to pay 20 or 25$, fill out an FCC form, then mail it to the FCC and wait. Once the license came back, then the store would sell you a radio.

Man those were the days!

KGE-8997. Had to pay 20 or 25$, fill out an FCC form, then mail it to the FCC and wait. Once the license came back, then the store would sell you a radio.

Man those were the days!

I want to know what kind of commie retail store you were buying CBs from. You had to have a license to operate not to buy, same as amateur radio. Anyone could buy a ham radio without a license so why was you local CB store holding you hostage for a license? Makes no sense to me. Were they required to have a license to buy the radios from the manufacturers?

Although you may have been put through that it was not the law by any means.

Reactions: 2 people
I want to know what kind of commie retail store you were buying CBs from. You had to have a license to operate not to buy, same as amateur radio. Anyone could buy a ham radio without a license so why was you local CB store holding you hostage for a license? Makes no sense to me. Were they required to have a license to buy the radios from the manufacturers?

Although you may have been put through that it was not the law by any means.
Wow no shiet!

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting trip down memory lane.

We were KJH 1739. I remember it well.

We got tired of paying the marine VHF telephone operator $2.25 a minute, so we hooked up a Realistic Navaho TRC-30A with a Turner +3 base mic and a 1/2 wave Radio Shack base antenna in the house. We had a 23 channel Hi Gain mobile in the boat. The radios soon paid for themselves.

I don't remember why, but we later acquired a 2nd license. It was a 4 X 4.

Jeez, lets see here--that was back in '62, had a new Lafayette he-20c, and my call sign was KIC 5974 which is pretty amazing for me to recall since I have trouble remembering what I did 2 minutes ago, much less over a half century ago. I'm decomposing as I sit here--"Life begins at 40"--yeah, RIGHT! I'm still trying to find the person who came up with that one, 'cause I have a size 12ee shoe I wanna bury right where the sun don't shine to thank him for that one (that's if I can still raise my leg that high without pulling a damned groin muscle or something !)

Last edited:
KAVI-8973 I had been running CB since 1968 and one employer would not let us mount radios in their vehicles unless we had a license back in 1976.

They had the temporary license where you could take K and put it in front of your initials and your zip code. As long as you had mailed in your application with a small fee you were good to go. I got razzed pretty badly by all of my outlaw buddies for going legit.

The invention and use of handles was back in the 60's. If you were a outlaw cb'er you and your friends took "Handles" so you would know who you were talking with. Most would not reply to anybody with a call sign if they did not know who they were. "Uncle Charlie" would get stirred up by some knot head who was running huge linear and over modulating.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated