• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB RADIO MICROPHONE AUDIO PERFORMANCE

I dont care how good your audio sounds because no matter how bodatious you or anyone thinks it sounds the minute you starts splattering anyone that thought it was nice will change there vote real quick and you will not like the comment you get on your radio you are so proud of.

I dont care how good your audio sounds because no matter how bodatious you or anyone thinks it sounds the minute you starts splattering anyone that thought it was nice will change there vote real quick and you will not like the comment you get on your radio you are so proud of.

Bandwidth is not splatter Tony. Bandwidth is your maximum audio frequency. Splatter can be caused by many reasons, but mainly by poor operating.

Bandwidth is not splatter Tony. Bandwidth is your maximum audio frequency. Splatter can be caused by many reasons, but mainly by poor operating.
You are correct but if your operating at 20k and you move 10k away from someone you become slpatter, interference, noise, hash or whatever you want to call it. You may have the cleanest audio out there but to some its spatter. 11 meter channel spacing is 10k, when you excede that you are in the wrong no matter how good your audio is. On the ham bands that a different story.

Reactions: 2 people
That was my point, You can only go so wide before it becomes a problem and Ive seen it happen and hear it everyday on 75 Meters and hear it on other bands from time to time. It does happen and people do b!+ch about it as Ive listen to that aswell.

Ive numerous times on different bands spun the VFO to track down someone that was wide. They can be a good distance in frequency and still get ya if there past that threshold. I dont b!+ch at people for it because it does no good as what has happen here in this thread "People are set in their ways and are gonna do what they wanna do as long as they feel good about it and are happy then its Fawk everyone else and who cares"

I am not trying to beat up on 131, I have never heard him but I am guessing he runs as clean of a station as he can but it's just the stance that a person knowly runs 20k wide your going to cause interference. With tongue firmly in my cheek it is against the rules.

Yep thats the 11 meters I remember..not missing anything. I am not saying his audio is not good just it's too wide for the band being used, causing interference and sad to say illegal. If someone wants to do this get a ham ticket and run 75 meters where the guys are running old broadcast xmitters which smoke any audio you will hear on 11 meters.

Reactions: 1 person
That's what us mud muddy mudducks have to contend with on a regular basis. My chances of making contacts are in the morning when there's not anybody but early birds on the band or in the evening when Canada and the New England states skip starts rolling in. Even then it's just keying between the big dogs and maybe someone will get back to me otherwise I just go up to 10 meters and listen for a spell just to get away from the 11 meter circus.

Yep thats the 11 meters I remember..not missing anything. I am not saying his audio is not good just it's too wide for the band being used, causing interference and sad to say illegal. If someone wants to do this get a ham ticket and run 75 meters where the guys are running old broadcast xmitters which smoke any audio you will hear on 11 meters.

I have noticed that 131's audio on my equipment is a little muffled around the edges like he's pushing it too much. It's not exactly clean audio in my opinion. It's like he's got a humming sound in with his audio.

I am in noway lashing out or picking on anyone either, I am simply stating facts that I have learned along the way through experience in my radio journeys. Im not saying everyone causes havoc but it happens everyday somewhere to someone. Not everyone runs a dirty station or signal but there are alot of them out there that really need to be corrected ;)

I'm still trying to figure out how he is 20 KHz wide if he is only using voice. AM bandwidth is twice the highest modulating frequency and there is no way in hell the human voice, especially a male voice is going to have any appreciable power at 10 khz. Not even if his nuts are in a vice at the time.

Think I would be far more interested in cleaning up the airwaves from dirty amps and crappy consumer electronics than from AMers/SSBers getting better usable audio from their radios. Besides, if they aren't doing it clean; then aren't thinking/doing it right through in the first place. 4-5k wide audio doesn't hurt anybody so long as they 'have all of their ducks in a row'; and that can usually be heard by most as well. Try using a real-time audio scope on your radio receive (free software apps available; plug into your radio's ext spkr jack into line lever of computer sound card) to see how the filter slope isn't a brick wall after all. Even older Cobra 148's can hear up to 4k on a 2.8 filter and a Galaxy can hear up to 4.5k and beyond. YMMV.
Sorry; just can't see why all of the fuss . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.