• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB RADIO MICROPHONE AUDIO PERFORMANCE

So you deliberately operate in a manner that massively reduces the distance you can talk (the wider the bandwidth the less distance per watt your signal will go) and that very very few people can get the full benefit of? Mad.

"But you sound like a broadcast station" said nobody ever at the other end listening on their CB through the crappy internal speaker they come with.

I got a Flex 6500 recently. Its quite interesting listening to ESSB. It sounds utterly shite until you open the RX bandwidth right out. What is also interesting is looking at the waterfall and seeing just how many other signals it stomps over because it isn't just the 10-20kHz of bandwidth you intentionally use, its double that or if you're overdriving, even more because your transmitted signal doesn't have a vertical wall to it, rather it tapers off gradually.

Yes but those who do so don't give a shit about interfering with others in the first place and simply cure the distance issue with more power, usually from a crappy 11m type amp adding to the problem.

So you deliberately operate in a manner that massively reduces the distance you can talk (the wider the bandwidth the less distance per watt your signal will go) and that very very few people can get the full benefit of? Mad.

"But you sound like a broadcast station" said nobody ever at the other end listening on their CB through the crappy internal speaker they come with.

I got a Flex 6500 recently. Its quite interesting listening to ESSB. It sounds utterly shite until you open the RX bandwidth right out. What is also interesting is looking at the waterfall and seeing just how many other signals it stomps over because it isn't just the 10-20kHz of bandwidth you intentionally use, its double that or if you're overdriving, even more because your transmitted signal doesn't have a vertical wall to it, rather it tapers off gradually.

Nope it still sound great on any speaker. You don't need anymore then a stock reciever. Of course the wider the reciever the better. And as far not caring about bandwith...really????!! At least I control mine at 20k bandwith (10k audio) wide with a perfect trapezoid and 0 splatter up and down the band. So ya, that's how I roll.

And I usually have no issues being heard. Like I said you just need a adequate power to be heard. But at 160% positive I tend to be as loud as anyone. I guess the guy running a square wave 400% into a class c sounds better to you guys. I don't get it. AM radio really can sound good. There is no technical reason it can't sound as good as your cd player.

With most 11m I would tend to agree. Most don't care, but I do.

Not a whole lot if you REALLY are running 20 KHz wide at 160% pos. peak modulation. The human voice, especially a male voice, contain little or NO energy at 10 Kz or even at 8 KHz and actually even at 5 KHz there is little voice energy. Music is another matter. I spent 22 years as as station engineer at a commercial broadcast undertaking and know broadcast quality audio. There is more to it than frequency response like presence and dynamic range and distortion. I have yet to hear broadcast quality audio on 11m or even from the ESSB crowd on the amateur bands.

Reactions: 3 people
Not a whole lot if you REALLY are running 20 KHz wide at 160% pos. peak modulation. The human voice, especially a male voice, contain little or NO energy at 10 Kz or even at 8 KHz and actually even at 5 KHz there is little voice energy. Music is another matter. I spent 22 years as as station engineer at a commercial broadcast undertaking and know broadcast quality audio. There is more to it than frequency response like presence and dynamic range and distortion. I have yet to hear broadcast quality audio on 11m or even from the ESSB crowd on the amateur bands.

I'll take the Pepsi challenge. What your saying is mostly true, you make some good points. All that's trying to be done is true hifi AM. But it's hard to argue with one who thinks a Hyundai is better then Vett. Each is good in its own way. I like a little more speed and style...so it breaks the speed limit?
I guess the answer is for you to hear a gate a and critic it. I'm far from an expert, but been lucky enough to be friends with a few.

Yep that's him, he's on 28 a lot. Great sounding station IMO!!! Keep up the good work 131!!

After all were talking about the chicken band here, if
131 Txing 10k wide so what, as lest its a clean 10k
Not like the bozos on ch.6

Reactions: 3 people
Are you the one in the same Mustang 131 on 27.285 MHz ?
If you are then I hear you out on the east coast when skip is rolling and I usually hear you all day long unless MMM gets a few side jabs in. You have great audio on all of my DTB tuned radios.

Thanks...MMM is a smart guy and good friend, I key on him chance I get!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.