• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB RADIO MICROPHONE AUDIO PERFORMANCE

Try to put it to you this way. Sure it breaking the rules, but so driving 85 in 55 zone. It's against the law even if your cars engine, tires, breaks and handling capabilities are designed at 150. But on 6,11,28 your driving at racetrack against others who are playing by the same rules. Sure I red line it once in a while, but most of the it's in overdrive.
CB is as much drag strip as it is ragchew. Its worthless bragging rights in a hobby. You put two Americans together in any hobby and we'll figure on a way to make it a race.
Now if you can sound better then the next guy and better then most hams, then all the better.
Keep it clean and mean. Joe Dirt has some good gates on his $20 sdr.

Reactions: 1 person
Now if you can sound better then the next guy and better then most hams, then all the better.
Again then it comes back around to what was said earlier... its an ego trip.. got it.. have fun.

Edit: I have competed in another "hobby" at a world level and there were rules that had to be met to compete. Within those "rules" you were free to do what you wanted but if you went one spec outside of them you were disqualified. I have no problem with DX on CB, keying over someone, being "louder" than someone but to be fair you must play within the rule right or wrong as there are. If you don't you're cheating plain and simple. Unfortunately as you mentioned the playing field is now polluted and therefore its everyone for themselves and the rules are now no rules.... shame.

I don't care one bit how the person who with I am chatting audio sounds as long as I can understand them and they can understand me.

Anyway it was fun jousting here... no minds have been changed and none will... take care and enjoy 11 meters.

Last edited:
Shockwave I respect everything you're saying here but I am sorry but please explain why amps should be legal on 11 meters? I agree with the dirty amps that have flooded he market and those are causing htons of interference and hey need to be eliminated. As I said above cb should be FM but not on 27mhz but on UHF.

If you want to run power and talk DX legally then become a ham. No offence to you but I find all this whining about how the laws are wrong a bit like saying I can't do what I want so change the rules. I agree that the FCC screwed up and continuing to do so and because of funding is ineffective.

Anyway this thread is way off topic now :oops:

It's not so much that I think they should be legal and more just recognizing the Genie has been let so far out of the bottle it's not likely we are stuffing her back in. What are the goals of these laws? To limit interference. I'm just suggesting we keep the goal in mind more than the specific law that has already failed and consider more effective options.

Unless you have an interest in experimenting with high quality audio or the AM mode it may not be so obvious how little the ham bands have to offer this group. Many have gone through the ranks of passing the test before no code only to be disappointed with the limited space our mode of choice has to fit in.

Realistically there's about 20 KHz. of spectrum in the HF ham bands that is generally acceptable to run AM on. In this space you have 2 or 3 well defined groups that have been into the roundtable format for decades. If you prefer the "quick pro quo" exchange of ideas, forget it. It can take hours to exchange a few ideas back and forth to one person. CW is twice as fast.

Many have put the effort to upgrade their ticket in so they could move down lower in the band where it's less congested. As soon as you establish a pattern on one frequency the SSB users race to beat you on the frequency for no other reason than to deny use of it to the AMers they now know are coming.

On the other hand if you're like most users and prefer SSB, your opportunities are very diverse on the ham bands. You can find a group that interests you or start your own real easy and not stand out like a sore thumb to the majority of users just because you're on AM. That's when the whining really starts.

Thanks for having respect even through disagreement. That is an area I could use improvement in and seeing it offered is appreciated. I also find it useful to put myself in the persons shoes that I might have a difference of opinion with. Then we can understand why they hold a different view even if we continue to disagree. Understanding is the key to tolerance in these circumstances.

Reactions: 4 people
SW you are right that I am not a fan of AM. I abanded AM while I was still on 11 meters and I still have no use for it. You are also right about very limited am on the ham bands and I can see where a new ham who came from am cb could be disenchanted.

I enjoy AM whenever I can. I just don't need to sound like some studio jock. I think people are lame when they change their whole personality and speech characteristics when they talk.

Kinda like my neighbor when he drives his new car. Whenever he drives it, he has his window rolled down and slouches down in his seat with his 'look at me pose'.

Motor Mouth Moron has to assume an alter ego when on the air. Why can't people just be themselves and talk normal instead of like a fool?

Last edited:
I enjoy AM whenever I can. I just don't need to sound like some studio jock. I just think people are lame when they change their whole personality and speech characteristics when they talk.

Kinda like my neighbor when he drives his new car. Whenever he drives it, he has his window rolled down and slouches down in his seat with his 'look at me pose'.

Motor Mouth Moron has to assume an alter ego when on the air. Why can't people just be themselves and talk normal instead of like a fool?

From what I have heard you can easily tell who is listening to themself when talking. I was a dj for 15 years there are many radio jocks who assume the personallity once they hit the mic switch.

. . . Usually because they have headphones on and can now hear themselves in full fidelity.
Not surprising at all . . .

Make that usually because they have headphones on and are isolated in their own little world. I dealt with prima donnas and jocks for 22 years. Amazing what they thought of themselves the minute the microphone was switched on.

Reactions: 2 people
11 meter AM has a big following, the amount of traffic on 6,11,and 28 is heavy all day when the band is open.
And some of them are running nice stations, just like a ham will spend $$$ for a well setup station that sounds great on air, a guy that is into AM CB will spend $$$ on a well setup station that sounds great on air, it is all just playing radio.
There are some interesting radio personalities on both bands.
I agree FM mode would have been a better choice.
CB is no longer what it was intended to be, it has grown way beyond that.
It is just as much a hobby service as ham radio.
It serves the people well, as can be seen by it`s use every day.

and ya we are way off topic, we were talking about Mics and audio processing right?

Jeff

This has been good thread. Let kill it.
Summary - ssb rules if you use or less bandwidth.
AM usage should be outlawed and the operators beaten nacked by a non amplified D104.
And the manufactures know best people...don't change a thing. In fact USE the mic that came with the radio. Those chicoms know what they're building.

This has been good thread. Let kill it.
Summary - ssb rules if you use or less bandwidth.
AM usage should be outlawed and the operators beaten nacked by a non amplified D104.
And the manufactures know best people...don't change a thing. In fact USE the mic that came with the radio. Those chicoms know what they're building.

Yeah that about sums it up(y)

FWIW, Galaxy 959 stock mic

Attachments

• galaxy-rf-freq-response.png
    galaxy-rf-freq-response.png
    431.1 KB · Views: 17

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.