• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB slang is horrible

virtually none of those guys on the bowl are running anything clean.
And I almost never hear who they are talking to.
My locals can be twanging away with someone I cant hear all the time.
I figured a long time ago they were ghost talking.

"And I just got down" :p

Reactions: Rwb
I talk plain English on CB and ham. I will give you a standard signal report, but everything else is simple conversational English. On CW, I use standard abbreviations. I don't repeat my call sign after each transmission, just beginning and end. I keep CW transmissions brief. I was never into the Roger Wilco and all that jazz, never was. I absolutely, cannot stand, when people put their goofball twist on phonetics. This is Hebrew Johnson Zanzibar eight Beautiful Ocean calling. I spin the dial on goofballs like that. I see no reason or purpose for individualist shtick on the radio. We're ham radio dudes, not WKRP disc jockeys.

I talk plain English on CB and ham. I will give you a standard signal report, but everything else is simple conversational English. On CW, I use standard abbreviations. I don't repeat my call sign after each transmission, just beginning and end. I keep CW transmissions brief. I was never into the Roger Wilco and all that jazz, never was. I absolutely, cannot stand, when people put their goofball twist on phonetics. This is Hebrew Johnson Zanzibar eight Beautiful Ocean calling. I spin the dial on goofballs like that. I see no reason or purpose for individualist shtick on the radio. We're ham radio dudes, not WKRP disc jockeys.
My ham talking nowadays is all SOTA. Generally speaking the twist on phonetics guys are the last ones I answer unless I'm lacking contacts.

I always grinned at the CB merchandise sold in the past that had CB slang printed all over it. It was clear the producers didn’t own a CB and were relying on 3rd or 4th hand information. The Japanese producers relied on their limited knowledge from a handful of movies or other half baked sources. The actors never bothered to do real character research and the directors probably thought their overly simplified version was better understood for the masses anyway. The point is, if someone new to CB started spewing half the things printed on some of that merchandise, they would be immediately ridiculed or be known as being terribly naive.
[ naive 4 wheeler ] 10-4 good buddy, I got your back door
[ trucker response ] I’m not your good buddy $+#^&#^ !! :LOL:

Well, if you're gonna' chat with a couple of pretty seatcovers that way you'll be watchin' them leave you in their dust with two strips of firestone smokin' off of their pregnant roller skate showing you you're their number one...

Meanwhile that Kojack with a Kodak sittin' next to ya' is goinna start asking a lot of questions. All because what he saw seems that you were thinkin' that they were Lot lizards and you weren't exact tippin' your hat to with proper respect...

Not only that but as you get ready to go the waitress is gripin' about you not payin' for your cup of joe, you try to explain that you just came in to get some Motion' Lotion so you can deliver that rack of ribs in your refer'.

The Smelly Telly ain't hearin' nothin' of that and asks you for your papers...

While that's playing out. Not tryin' too hard but you're gonna put your panties in a bunch if it ain't over yet, because now you look out the window to see a local Smokey in the Comedian seein' and readin the mail on his comedy box just got informed that some Mud Puppy got sloppy and is makin' a mess at the local waterin' hole.

And it looks like hes' brought friends, Smokey and his bears band is arrivin' and it looks like the bubble gum machines just hit the jackpot - even have a Snapper in a Wrapper just pullin' in to help the ticket writing party. You made such a good impression on the Warden he'll guide you to your new QTH, which they take you and QSY you over to and you are now QRT - PDQ.

Forgot to add:

Events Portrayed in this message are Fictional. Any relatives, relations or persons referenced - either living or dead - is purely intentional.
Management Assumes No Responsibility for it's Content.

... You could be a CB'er when...
... You re-write it to say "Objects In Mirror - May Be Parts Of My Equipment"

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and Slowmover
A trucker friend and I like to talk like that if we ever get on the same road. We dig up all those old cb slang words. For some reason others on the radio dont appreciate it.
Looking for a greasy spoon and got to get some go go juice before I go horizontal and check my eyelids for holes
10-4 good buddy

Luckily for others we haven't ran together in a long time. We just do it to break the boredom

Reactions: Rwb and Slowmover
[QUOTE)
There are therefore only two cases on the Internet in which such abbreviations among radio operators make sense, namely IRC and SMS. Here and only here one should keep his texts short, but nowhere else.[/QUOTE]

Well I guess we could add SDR with that being a HOT item these days.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Rwb and MicroWave
Well I guess we could add SDR with that being a HOT item these days.
Yes, one could add that as a special case in hybrid applications. Apart from this, in digital modes for example, I would only be brief in extremely poor conditions to keep the transmission times at an acceptable level. Otherwise, I see no reason to use any abbreviations here.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.