• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chameleon Vertical Antenna - 10-80 Meters

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Just ordered Chameleon's Hybrid Micro, Mil Whip 2.0 and Mil Ext 2.0.

I prefer a vertical antenna over horizontals or inverted V's because of the lower take-off angle. My vertical using a Wolf River coil and a 102" steel whip is the only antenna that has allowed me to talk across the Atlantic. It really is the best antenna I've ever had but having to adjust the coil to change bands wasn't much fun at night or in the rain. Now I won’t have to.

And you naysayers can stop typing. I am fully aware that a good amount of energy is lost in the matching unit and never reaches the antenna. Got it. (y) It's what allows antennas like these to be so broad banded.

Will report back in a few days once I receive it and have it installed.

Now, where did I put my hacksaw? Just in case. :whistle:

Just ordered Chameleon's Hybrid Micro, Mil Whip 2.0 and Mil Ext 2.0.

I prefer a vertical antenna over horizontals or inverted V's because of the lower take-off angle. My vertical using a Wolf River coil and a 102" steel whip is the only antenna that has allowed me to talk across the Atlantic. It really is the best antenna I've ever had but having to adjust the coil to change bands wasn't much fun at night or in the rain. Now I won’t have to.

And you naysayers can stop typing. I am fully aware that a good amount of energy is lost in the matching unit and never reaches the antenna. Got it. (y) It's what allows antennas like these to be so broad banded.

Will report back in a few days once I receive it and have it installed.

Now, where did I put my hacksaw? Just in case. :whistle:
Pic's post pic's

Reactions: RT431
Found a picture of that multi band chameleon
chameleon.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here you go. I purchased the whip antenna and the extension shown in the pic as well as the hybrid micro matching unit and counterpoise wire. Did not get the ground spike (will use my tripod). Bought mine directly from Chameleon.
https://chameleonantenna.com/

View attachment 33767
Oh, that will never work. Being a pal I will properly dispose of it for you. Just box it up and send it to me. (y)

Reactions: Woody-202
Oh, that will never work. Being a pal I will properly dispose of it for you. Just box it up and send it to me. (y)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Guess I’ll put my hacksaw away.
Looked hard at the Alpha FMJ and Promaster but settled on Chameleon. Basically flipped a coin. Should have it Friday or Saturday. (y) Will probably try it out before sending it to you, Malen. :D

That Mil 2.0 brings back memories. Primarily of a radio slapping the back of my head. I know it would work better than a modified tent pole.

LOL.
That’s pretty much what this is. Tent poles sawed into pieces, painted, tied together with cord and given a fancy name. Add a magical matching unit and glowing eHam reviews, and I’ll have the World of HF at my fingertips. (y)

I think I have your mailing address around here somewhere just in case. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: binrat
Things sometimes don't go as expected (or hoped for) when putting up a new antenna. But this time they did! :D

Set up my Chameleon Hybrid Micro atop my tripod 4' above the ground with the Chameleon Mil Ext 2.0 (105.5") and my 102" steel CB Whip atop it.
I ordered the Mil Whip 2.0 but found it too flexible and used the steel whip instead. For counterpoise I ran a single #14 copper wire (16.5') to a plastic electric fence post. (Tried a 30' wire but SWR's were slightly better with the shorter one.) Speaking of SWR's, here they are:

2.8 @ 3.600
3.0 @ 3.800
3.1 @ 4.000

2.4 @ 7.125
2.5 @ 7.200
2.7 @ 7.300

1.7 @ 14.150
1.7 @ 14.250
1.8 @ 14.350

1.5 @ 18.110
1.5 @ 18.130
1.4 @ 18.168

1.3 @ 21.200
1.4 @ 21.300
1.4 @ 21.450

1.5 @ 24.930
1.5 @ 24.960
1.5 @ 24.990

1.9 @ 28.300
1.8 @ 28.500
1.8 @ 28.700

I called this a 10-80 meter antenna in the title. Should have said 6-80 meters.

2.3 @ 50.100
2.3 @ 50.200
2.3 @ 50.300

With my internal tuner, all of these bands are now open to me. :)

Pros:

Quality is superb.
Easy to set up.
Small footprint.
Not much of an eyesore.
Works great!
The Hybrid comes with a 60' counterpoise wire that can also be used as an endfed antenna in lieu of a vertical with elements.
Outstanding customer service 24/7.

Cons:

Pricey.
The Mil Whip is really flexible and bends quite a bit in the wind. Not that that's a bad thing. I just didn't care for it.

Antenna:
Antenna.jpg

Counterpoise Wire:
Counterpoise.JPG

Hybrid Micro:
Hybrid Micro.jpg

That's all, folks!

Last edited:
I also own the Chameleon Mil Whip and Mil Ext 2.0, and I am generally happy with it, but I do think the Chameleon products are pretty expensive. No one is forcing us to buy these products, so I am not complaining...only making an observation about the price.

As an interesting alternative, I found (and purchased) this antenna on eBay...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Mili...306754?hash=item2f38606e82:g:vAkAAOSwFOldtmEu

0827BF98-A2AA-4D4B-A203-1DC6471D8E8B.jpeg

It appears to be the same antenna as the Chameleon Mil Whip, which Chameleon sells for $129. There are a few Chinese sellers offering this antenna for $40-50.

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated