• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cheapest way to build 11m quad

Bamboo probably, but I did make one a long time ago out of wooden dowels. It was pretty heavy. Another option is to scrounge around looking for broken antennas that people are willing to give away.

Brett

Reactions: 222DBFL and Bearcat
Ideally the spreaders should be non-conductive so beware using metal tubing of any type. Bamboo has been used for decades but won't last FOR decades after all it is wood. Well technically it is a grass but I digress and let my nerdy side show again. LOL. Fiberglass is ideal and you can get what you need from http://www.mgs4u.com/ Also http://www.cubex.com/ has 10/11m quad kits.

PVC for a boom if you just looking for a two element, then the driveway markers , they are fiberglass rods that can be bought at home depot.

Drill holes into the PVC boom hot glue the fiberglass rods ( driveway markers) into the PVC boom and connect your wire elements.

Be creative for boom to mast bracket, few U bolts and you are in business

I looked for a source (knew a guy that was a buyer at Shakespeare hq ) and was trying to buy graphite fishing rod blanks. These are just the pole, with no handle, ferrules, or rod tip. Never could get them, as they want you to buy thousands of them. As white n' nerdy Capt. K mentions (ha!), there are fiberglass options out there... but usually not very cheap.

Good suggestion from wavrider on the two element. They are strong performers and don't need such a big rotor.

You might check the archives for some of HomerBB's posts. I know he built a quad at one time, and he was usually really good about providing a parts list and plans on how he built them. He worked for Home Depot, so parts were readily available (and cheap).

Brett

Bamboo probably, but I did make one a long time ago out of wooden dowels. It was pretty heavy. Another option is to scrounge around looking for broken antennas that people are willing to give away.

Brett
I looked for a source (knew a guy that was a buyer at Shakespeare hq ) and was trying to buy graphite fishing rod blanks. These are just the pole, with no handle, ferrules, or rod tip. Never could get them, as they want you to buy thousands of them. As white n' nerdy Capt. K mentions (ha!), there are fiberglass options out there... but usually not very cheap.

Good suggestion from wavrider on the two element. They are strong performers and don't need such a big rotor.

You might check the archives for some of HomerBB's posts. I know he built a quad at one time, and he was usually really good about providing a parts list and plans on how he built them. He worked for Home Depot, so parts were readily available (and cheap).

Brett[/QUOTE

I would love to build my own quad...may take me a while but I think I can do it...do I match it with a balun? It's gonna be diamond shaped for horizontal

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.