• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Check Radio Shack for deal

it was nice walking out with 2 bags of stuff for $30.
Guy at register did the "man thats cheap, what are you gonna use it all for?"

"I dunno, but I'm gonna get it before the next guy does"., I was bored, totaled up the "regular prices...$214. Not that I would have ever paid it

Reactions: 1 person
RS used to have an outlet store in Columbus, OH. They really had some awesome deals there. Hated to see it close about 20 years ago.

Good score on your horde.

I like looking at all the red tag crap they have.

Once they get done removing all of the products that differentiate them from the big box stores that sell electronics, Radio Shack will be positioned to make some serious money.

They'll have over 300 store fronts just collecting dust that they can put up for sale in the real estate market. They have just about succeeded in getting all the radio out of Radio Shack so it shouldn't be long now.

The nice thing was they did it gradually. Little by little they become more and more useless. That way it was no shock to arrive at the store and find none of what you were looking for.

Who goes to Radio Shack to buy a cell phone, TV, computer or batteries? Anyone with open eyes has figured out there is probably another option within a few miles that sells the same thing for less.

The Shack has lost most of it's buying power. They no longer have anything that is custom manufactured for them. I think they have reached the end of the line and with parts companies like Mouser and Allied Electronics, if they want to drop the ball, these guys are already taking their place.

I have found some great deals at RS as well. One was (unfortunately) from a store that was closing. We had 3 RS's in town, and two of them were within a mile of each other. One on a heavily traveled street, the other at the mall. The one they closed was clear over on the north side of town. The gal that managed the store actually REALLY knew her stuff, and oftentimes something that you couldn't find was in the store, and she knew where it was. I picked up a light duty rotor and controller for 15 bucks, a discone antenna for 20, and a 15 amp power supply for 25. They were selling all the little components from the drawers for 75 percent off, too... so I picked up a bunch of microphone connectors, lights, double throw switches, and other stuff. Also found a scanner programming cable that works on my Icom IC718 to run Ham Radio Deluxe for 10 bucks. Too bad that store closed instead of the one across town, but I did get some deals.

RT307

I bought my iPhone 5 and Otterbox at The Shack. Other than that I buy connectors and electronics doodads.
Back in the early eighties I could walk into a Radio Shack store and whatever product I asked about,the employees could tell me everything about it. Radio Shack is good when my eyes glaze over trying to find a part on Mouser's website.

I might be good friends with someone that works at RadioShack or something *cough cough*. (The following does not reflect RadioShack's opinion in any way, etc if the PR people are reading).

RS is undergoing some sort of revamping. From what the memos read, the product selection will change, and I'd expect that its going to see an increase in DIY stuff. The stuff RS is clearancing is stuff that supposedly doesn't sell too well, like a lot of the home theater stuff as mentioned above. From what been observed, that seems pretty accurate. Don't think too many people will miss them. So far the remaining radio equipment has been spared. RS still has rotator cable and guy wire, same price. Recently RS started carrying silver plated PL259s with teflon insulators, which was surprising. They're a little pricey compared to online, but what I would personally consider reasonable for being able to have it "now".

Hint: pricing on radioshack.com can vary from in-store prices, and any item on the website with a Catalog No. starting in 55 is web only, can't be ordered through the store through any special means. Supposedly they can do a radioshack.com order in store, but its essentially the same process as you would do at home, and shipping would still apply.

Any other item not starting in 55 is normally stocked in-store. Depending on the market, product selection may vary. For instance, the RS CB radio (Cat No. 21-164) is a normal item number, but my local store doesn't carry it because of historically low demand for such items in the market. Such items can often be ordered "direct to you" (RS lingo "D2U"). You pay the same price as you would in-store, but they ship the item directly to your home, no shipping charge. Not all items can be D2U'd, I suspect eligibility is determined based on availability and some other factors. Employees can check the eligibility if given the SKU/Catalog No. They can also see if stores nearby have any, or perhaps have some coming in (doesn't update immediately though, so call that store to confirm availability and hold it for you).

As far as RadioShack getting rid of the core product that makes them different from BestBuy, I don't think you'll be seeing that happen anytime soon. Big ticket items like TVs are extremely competitive in price and profit margin. Think about what you can get resistors for at say Mouser in quantities of tens-of-thousands, then think about what you pay for a pack of 5 at RS. Yep, not going anywhere unless the bean counters have gone completely off the deep end (possible). To do that would be the death blow. Its very frustrating to see so much emphasis on cell phones and other low-margin consumer electronics (alienating their traditional consumer base, as many demeaning internet forum posts attest to) when RS could probably do pretty well doing what they've traditionally done best, obviously with some adjustment for the times. Obviously the big-box store model isn't working too well, since most of the big box consumer electronics stores are history. I think there are attempts by management to shift in this direction, but they seem half-hearted. Perhaps the trend is changing though, as we've seen the flood of items set on clearance or otherwise being removed from the store (items that are deemed extremely poor sellers are scrapped, rather than continue to take up space while on clearance).

I hate going in there because there are always ten people in line bitching about their cell service being messed up, which usually means they didn't pay their bill.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.