• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coax

accoolman

Jan 17, 2014
yes can some one tell me whats the best coax to use i will be putting up a jo gun 8+8 with 2 kw i have rg 213 right now thank you for any help(y)

IT'S A BIT PRICEY

LMR Times 400 is made in America using the most copper of any cable I've ever used. Do your research. When all is said and done you will clearly see why it cost what it does. You get what you pay for. Be carfulll as there are sellers advertising like LMR but it's mot the real thing. I purchased mine one eBay from saigmaiden. Thay are honest sellers and sell the real thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Just think, if you used a Moxon you'd not need 2kW. Putting just a few hundred watts into a Moxon would give you an ERP equivalent to putting 2kW into a vertical.

Best part is you'd hear better as well.

Just think, if you used a Moxon you'd not need 2kW. Putting just a few hundred watts into a Moxon would give you an ERP equivalent to putting 2kW into a vertical.

Best part is you'd hear better as well.

that (2 element) Moxon must rewrite the laws of physics:blink:

err,.......... did ya miss the 8 element part?

an 8+8 jo gunn will blow away a moxon on both Tx and Rx.

Reactions: 2 people
that (2 element) Moxon must rewrite the laws of physics:blink:
JoGunn has their own version of physics.
JoGunn said:
TYPE: Horz. & Vert. Polarization Twin Feed
GAIN: 21.5 DB
FRONT TO BACK RATIO: 60 DB True
SIDE REJECTION: 70 DB True
BACK REJECTION: 60 DB True
WEIGHT: 73 lbs.
LENGTH: 36 feet, 6 inches
SWR: 1.1
HORZ. to VERT. SEPARATION: 25-30 DB
WIND SURVIVAL: 100 MPH
POWER MULTIPLICATION: 125X
AUDIO GAIN: 30 DB
WIND LOAD: 12.5

JoGunn has their own version of physics.

JoGunn definitely has a certain bullshit factor involved however the 8+8 will smoke any Moxon any day of the week all year long. I think M0GVZ has a fixation with Moxon's because they do work half decent for their size and most operators in the UK tend to use smaller antennas due to a lack of space or so it seems anyway.

Reactions: 4 people
LMR Times 400 is made in America using the most copper of any cable I've ever used. Do your research. When all is said and done you will clearly see why it cost what it does. You get what you pay for. Be carfulll as there are sellers advertising like LMR but it's mot the real thing. I purchased mine one eBay from saigmaiden. Thay are honest sellers and sell the real thing.

Isn't LMR-400 copper coated aluminum for the center conductor? I've not used
it and won't...Several friends of mine have had it break on them.

On the other hand I use LMR-400/UF on everything here and really like it...The
specs are very close

Isn't LMR-400 copper coated aluminum for the center conductor? I've not used
it and won't...Several friends of mine have had it break on them.

On the other hand I use LMR-400/UF on everything here and really like it...The
specs are very close

Nothing wrong at all with solid core coax cable such as LMR-400. You just have to select the type of coax cable for the specific use for which it will be used. You NEVER use it around a rotator or in any place where it will be subject to continuous flexing. I use Andrews LDF4-50 which is half inch heliax cable which has a copper coated solid aluminum core and it is better that LMR-400as for losses but much stiffer however I do not use it around my rotator or route it through walls up into the shack from the basement. I use something more flexible like Belden 8214 which is an RG8 type cable. LDF4-50 is used in hundreds of thousands of commercial installations without an issue. Once again the key is to select the cable for the use in which you intend to use it.

ANTENNA THEORY IS STILL JUST THAT

It blows my mind that Einstein's theory isn't theory anymore yet antenna theory hasn't been nailed down. It blows my mind as antennas have been reciving and transmitting years before Einstein came up with E=Mc2. I've learned from the members of this site that unlike E=Mc2 which is an equation that cannot be compromized while one needs to figure in so many different factors when choosing an antenna. What frequency will it be used for how high in the air will it be what will be the surroundings, there's so many things one must Concider when choosing an antenna, cable etc etc. Then after choosing everything and thinking you have I nailed down it doesn't work the way you thought it would. So you begin to tweak it. I think antenna theory will always be just that, theory. You can ask ten people who know as much about antennas as Einstein knew about physics and you will most likely get ten different answers.

Capt is right, and so is the other poster, lmr400uf is just the ultra flex version of lmr400, the specs should be the same if not very close. Lmr400 is meant for straight runs with not a lot of sharp bends, the UF style is better for rotor applications and yes sir LDF4-50a is some good stuff but is very and I mean very stiff lol. Use it almost daily on cell sites.
mete4a3a.jpg

Here is a photo of 3 of the coax types that have been mentioned, maybe not the lmr240, but it's good stuff too, from top to bottom, ldf4-50a, lmr400, lmr240.
Capt you must have one heck of a setup to be using ldf4. It's a pita to work with and try to make it look nice In a shelter, but it does work well and can handle the harshest of environments. God bless.

Yes, the center conductor of LMR-400 is copper plated aluminum. It's a very good feed line at VHF/UHF, not particularly beneficial at HF. It does have slightly better loss ratings than most other coax at HF, but that is a fractional improvement, not a very huge one at all. Depending on the length of the run, almost any coax will do fine at HF (that can be significant though for longer runs). As suggested, RG-213 would certainly work, but so would RG-8. You have to balance the amount of loss with the cost of the cable. Then you decide which is best for you.
- 'Doc

Capt. Kilowatt you got my mind churning now. May put this ldf4 I have to use. Put a couple of n-male connectors on an be good to go!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.