• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax ??

Klint

Mar 13, 2019
I've always heard about the 3 feet rule. What is y’all thought on that ? And what would be the case if one had a fair amount too much, maybe RF loss ?

I've always heard about the 3 feet rule. What is y’all thought on that ? And what would be the case if one had a fair amount too much, maybe RF loss ?

I've been into radio for 40 years, started as 11m and now ham radio for almost 30 years, and even spent 22 years in commercial broadcasting and never heard of this "3 feet rule". Then again I tend to not concern myself with myth and conjecture and simply rely on truth and fact. What is this "3 feet rule" fallacy of which you speak?

I've been into radio for 40 years, started as 11m and now ham radio for almost 30 years, and even spent 22 years in commercial broadcasting and never heard of this "3 feet rule". Then again I tend to not concern myself with myth and conjecture and simply rely on truth and fact. What is this "3 feet rule" fallacy of which you speak?
Well what was said was it took 3 feet to do a half wave I think. It’s just junk obviously. Just wanted to clear some things up by asking u guys. Great info from all u guys .. thanks

3 feet of your cable and 3 feet of my cable would be a different phase angle. Someone misinformed you about a 3 foot rule.
Oh yea , just listening to old timers through the years that knew absolutely nothing about electronics and radios.. lol

Klint, attached is an old Hall Book. Bottom of Page 111. Also, take a look at what Irz50 posted. Make your own judgment. But, honestly with mobile CB, I have found it doesn't matter, just make sure you have good coax and good grounding. Have fun reading.
Little short on time right now , but I will definitely read the link.

Then you most likely were not aware that you could tune the antenna by putting several inches of aluminum foil on the coax and sliding along the coax while watching an SWR meter to get a 1 to 1 match. Not much of a Tech are you. LOL

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated