• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 139XLR or Uniden Washington??

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Found both online for sale. Both look clean and about the same price. I read they have 858 PLL usually. Both have been gone thru and work (whatever that means). Both have 5 pin mic jacks. Uniden listed as having additional mods though none are listed of see-able in the pics. Nothing on the 139XLR.

I missed the minty 142 (by 8 minutes helping my son with his electric in his room) and now I'm scrounging. Leaning toward the 139XLR

Wondering how this compares to the mighty 142?

Does anyone still service these and how rock steady are they as a base unit?

CB590,
It is my personal opinion that the uPD858 SSB radios are the best performing CB rigs made. I have 4 or 5 of them.
I have better performing rigs but they are all HF transceivers.

David

And the flame throwing will begin in 5-4-3-2-..................................................................

Found both online for sale. Both look clean and about the same price. I read they have 858 PLL usually. Both have been gone thru and work (whatever that means). Both have 5 pin mic jacks. Uniden listed as having additional mods though none are listed of see-able in the pics. Nothing on the 139XLR.

I missed the minty 142 (by 8 minutes helping my son with his electric in his room) and now I'm scrounging. Leaning toward the 139XLR

Wondering how this compares to the mighty 142?

Does anyone still service these and how rock steady are they as a base unit?

Seller followed up. No mods to the 139. Just tune and alignment. Just noticed it has a 4 pin mic jack.

The Washington has channel mods and tune and alignment.

Pretty clean.

7D86A5DD-17BC-4BA7-B339-77AD09C6FAAD.jpeg

My personal preference would be the Washinton because I think it looks better.
My choice would be the Washington also, unless I could actually inspect the 139 in person first.
I have never owned I 139 but I have owned a 858 president Washington before. I’ve read on here and other places the the circuit board cracks very easily on the 139 during shipping. So that is a negative in my opinion.
Another thing to keep in mind is who knows what’s actually been done to a radio this old, the seller might be honest he might not. Every single used radio I buy online I expect to have problems with it, or have poorly done mods to it.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I could have sworn that the Washington I had apart a while ago had an 8719...

The first Washington’s were branded president, they have two push buttons underneath the channel selector knob.... and had 858 pll chips in them and I would imagine a very similar board layout to a 139. A uniden Washington has three push buttons below the channel knob, and is pretty much guaranteed to have a 8719 pll chip in it.

The first Washington’s were branded president, they have two push buttons underneath the channel selector knob.... and had 858 pll chips in them and I would imagine a very similar board layout to a 139. A uniden Washington has three push buttons below the channel knob, and is pretty much guaranteed to have a 8719 pll chip in it.

Exactly correct. The PRESIDENT Washington is exactly the same as the Cobra 139XLR. The UNIDEN Washington was completely different (8719 pll) and wasn't even close in performance to the 858pll boards.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated