• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL China

Larry Pridgen

Jul 31, 2015
Hi everyone,
I come across a 148 GTL China that has a damaged KEPC-332-F2 pcb in the area of the YD1022 audio ic.
I want to repair this area, does anyone have a photo of this area I could use to help me, or any advice.

Cheers,
Laz, VK7LAZ

You would think there'd be a market for adapters, as many discontinued audio chips as there are out there.

You would have to sell a lot of them to make any money back from the cost of getting it designed, debugged and built in quantity.

YD1022 - is it a 5-pin chip "doubled up" on a TA7222AP KTA7217 platform?

Wouldn't a TA7257 chip on a "stick" work? I think PC68XLT are using this now
Ta7257PC68LTW.jpg

This is their "Drop in replacement" for the TA7222AP
TA7257.jpg TA7257a.jpg
PDF attached...
:+> Andy <+:

Attachments

• TA7257.pdf
    215.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
YD1022-Pinout.jpg That's the one!

(What I meant by the "doubled up" is the lead package - only the output, Ground and Power feeds are "Doubled" but still uses Pins 2 and 3 for Audio in.)

One of the PDFs I've received about the YD1022 is it's ability to operate "stereo speakers as 4 ohm loads" - what they don't tell you is that it's output is MONO - but it does have that ability...

Did you see about using the TDA2003 - even though its' not exact? (see earlier with the 7257 and Header)

TDA2003Pinout.jpg
The problem lies in the "Conversion" - you have essentially a 5 pin chip - using 10 pins.

But, it more closely matches what Cobra uses now...for it's network and EQ for Cobra 29 series...

Cobra29IC4.jpg

Now at the current time - I've got no solution except for you to ask Dynascan if they even offer a "Converter" board header that does what Uniden does for their PC68 series - 7222AP to 7257 - but since they already have a boatload of 2003's - seems that Cobra should have such a kit on hand to offset the repairs they get for their older chassis KEPC boards that use the 7222P or even the YD1022 chip.

For rewire - look for this link - it has the PCB layout that may provide the help you seek...the BT side of this radio uses the YD1022 Chip so the Main PCB also has the soldering trace layouts -

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/29ltd_bt/index.htm
But...you have a 148GTL ...
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl/index.htm
and this little bugger uses the 7222AP chip - not your YD chip ... but you do get silkscreen layouts of the main PCB.

I'm only posting the above figuring that most people have some type of phenolic board around to make up their own header using the IC pins and any spare leads from resistors and whatnots laying around on their benches that can rewire sich a chip like the 2003 to take care of the issue of EQ and NFB - The 7222AP and KTA7217 used a LOT more pins for EQ but the YD`1022 was pretty much the 5 pin to 10 pin converter. The YD should be the easiest of any to convert.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Wont work. This is the data sheet for YD1022.
View attachment 24372 That's the one!

(What I meant by the "doubled up" is the lead package - only the output, Ground and Power feeds are "Doubled" but still uses Pins 2 and 3 for Audio in.)

One of the PDFs I've received about the YD1022 is it's ability to operate "stereo speakers as 4 ohm loads" - what they don't tell you is that it's output is MONO - but it does have that ability...

Did you see about using the TDA2003 - even though its' not exact? (see earlier with the 7257 and Header)

View attachment 24373
The problem lies in the "Conversion" - you have essentially a 5 pin chip - using 10 pins.

But, it more closely matches what Cobra uses now...for it's network and EQ for Cobra 29 series...

View attachment 24374

Now at the current time - I've got no solution except for you to ask Dynascan if they even offer a "Converter" board header that does what Uniden does for their PC68 series - 7222AP to 7257 - but since they already have a boatload of 2003's - seems that Cobra should have such a kit on hand to offset the repairs they get for their older chassis KEPC boards that use the 7222P or even the YD1022 chip.

For rewire - look for this link - it has the PCB layout that may provide the help you seek...the BT side of this radio uses the YD1022 Chip so the Main PCB also has the soldering trace layouts -

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/29ltd_bt/index.htm
But...you have a 148GTL ...
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl/index.htm
and this little bugger uses the 7222AP chip - not your YD chip ... but you do get silkscreen layouts of the main PCB.

I'm only posting the above figuring that most people have some type of phenolic board around to make up their own header using the IC pins and any spare leads from resistors and whatnots laying around on their benches that can rewire sich a chip like the 2003 to take care of the issue of EQ and NFB - The 7222AP and KTA7217 used a LOT more pins for EQ but the YD`1022 was pretty much the 5 pin to 10 pin converter. The YD should be the easiest of any to convert.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Andy

Attachments

• YD1022_WuXiYouDaElectronics.pdf
    177 KB · Views: 13
Get the PDF of the 2003 and compare it to the 1022 - let's see...

YoudaTest.png

Test2003.jpg

Remember - you will have some issues with the pinout so you have two ways of doing this - jumpers, as in soldered to the legs of or you do up a board and mounting to the side panel than wired into to replace...

So before I even begin...

You need to be sure you have the board...because if you don't you'll have more pins than you really need and this can't work...

For example TA7222AP...
From the inside...topTa7222ap.jpg
From the Foil side...
TA7222AP.jpg

I thought you were going to give Cobra a call to see if they had an adapter board...oh, well - this will look like hell but it is still possible, So to see you deciding to do this and just order the part - that's fine but did you even call Cobra?

So if you want to proceed you have to be supplying me a photo of your board so I can proceed....so I know what you're doing...

Because - the YD 1022 as you pointed out had a pin design - paired up on output. This design that you're doing needs to be mounted then soldered - so firstly I would look over all these steps before you decide to jump into this.

IT also has a thickness issue, the TDA2003 is a TAB to the rear - while the tab on the YD1022 and TA7222AP are in the middle...

DimensionsYD-1022.jpg

The TDA2003 is 5 mm - just a little thicker than the YD1022

DimensionTDA2003.jpg

Because you will have to bend things...like leads and flatten or spread a flange of the side panel - ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?

The Bends the TA 2003 require a BRAKE device, not always available to everyone and to do this at home - not easy.

I've done it but you can lose the part if you do it and it's not right on the first try...

Why? Because the angle is about 20 degrees tilt you have to bend the tab - so if it's a little less don't worry, too much and bending it back can break the part ok?

1 - straighten leads for clearance - the TDA2003 has a pre-formed pin package, so if you don't have the header the leads need to be setup so you can solder a set of solid enameled wires to allow length attach to the board.

2 - Any Enamel wire of AWG #18 works for this... and if you have various colored enamel coated wires even better. - helps to identify...

(The idea of solid works better versus stranded - and you attach to the part first an use a heat shrink tubing to help keep pins from shorting....)

3 - Do a pre fit

Decide here, if you want...

HIDDEN - once the leads are "flattened" so it can be edge mounted - you also should have got a package insulator that allows you to mounted it insulated from the heat sink - so you'll need to do this too - the TDA2003 is thicker than the YD chip - so watch your tab mounting - the YD-1022 is a lot like the 7222ap - so it's tab is in the middle depth or thickness of the part - what does that mean for you? - well if you contacted Cobra you would have had the spacer insulator too...because you can use both - the original for the front part of the tab, (that mounts to the side panel) and the rear for the flange "tang" the pressed inward part from the side panel - you're essentially bending a TO-220 to 20 degree tilt on the tab. THE 2003 TAB IS BENT BACK A TILT OF 20 DEGREES - and mounted with face outwards (pin 1 to front face of radio) Using the space supplied with the 2003 - isn't used to hold - it is used to back the rear of the 2003 seating it on that pressed flange A simple epoxy even nail polish works to hold the mica spacer once this pre-fit step is completed - the tab uses the originals' spacer and hardware for most of the heat - and mounting - the rear part of the TDA2003 is fitted with its supplied spacer - to seat in place and keep from shorting.

Otherwise

FLAT but UPSIDEDOWN- you can make up a simple perfboard to mount the 2003 flat but upside down - for then the face is towards the inside - and it's Pin 1 and pin 5 are still oriented correctly - and you have the perfboard to help with any wiring support issues - you don't change the parts on the main PCB - the 2003 wires to it thru this perfboard. Like I showed with the 7257 part that the 68 / 78 uses...

So if the above looks simple enough - remember this step is a labor of love, you don't get paid for the hours you spend on making the new part fit - I've done this to several different radios due to the YD or 7222 are no longer cheap and the boss wanted it done - so you know ... no pressure here but you should have contacted cobra and got advice from them first

I been using the perfboard - and if done right - you don't even need it - you just mount it upside down bend leads to 90 degree "fan" spread and solder wire up to it from the main PCB - it's why I need a photo of your radio - some people like the "hidden" effect while others just want a new chip.

Using one Method, when you have time, the other way, you don't and have to do all this fitting and its' done in (a lot) fewer hours.

That's why I'm asking ARE YOU SURE YOU WISH TO PROCEED - you've already been given all the steps - just the point to point wiring is needed.

I'm not allowed to take pics of a customers radio - the boss I work for honors privacy issues. You have enough examples on you tube already - so this is up to you...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If anyone is still paying attention ...

I need to update a previous photo - because I did a boo boo - type in 7257, s/h/b 7252 - AHEMN...

TA7252AP.jpg bottomTA7252AP.jpg

This updates post #5 - for clarity....no it's not a stepper motor driver...:confused::rolleyes:o_O

Attachments

• ta7252.pdf
    365.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
A version that could "drop in" to the circuit board in older radios made with the 7222 would be cool.

The mount hole on this one won't line up with the older chip's screw hole.

Would require some redesign.

Or, the distance between the new chip's legs and its mount hole may just be too large to ever fit where the old 7222 part would go. Should have a look at both data sheets to reveal this detail.

But the one in the pic isn't so much a retrofit for old radios, but a hack that gets radios down the assembly line. They punched a new hole to mount it, but the repair guy replacing a blown 7222 might not want to.

(EDIT)

Had a look. Distance from the center of the mount hole to the pins' 'seating plane' for the 7222 is 12.5 mm.

The same distance for the 7252 is 12.9 mm. Looks like the new part just has to be mounted higher above the pc board, no matter what.

And just how you could adapt it to Ranger-made radios is a good question. No holes in the pc board. A retrofit adapter's pins would have to fold over the edge of the pc board like the original chip.

Dern!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.