• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 150 and 200 GTL

I had a truck driver come through with one a few days ago and he was very happy with the radio after I aligned and converted the radio for him. I concur with Dave from DTB Radio, I like what I saw. I must admit I had to get out my magnifying glass to see some of those tiny components.

dtb,

my buddy just got a 200gtl brand new tuned and peeked by out local tech. he sounds real good on am lo and hi pwr but on ssb hi pwr the 1st few words of his transmission are real staticy and after that u can start to understand him. is the radio cranked up too hi and overmodualting?

btw, on ssb low pwr he sounds decent and hi really sucks. i am not impressed at all on the ssb part of this radio. maybe if he gets it turned down a lil bit it might be better, but i wasnt impressed on how good the signal was on my rx when he was talking to me.

i thought this radio was really gonna be a talker, i hope it can be.

I just heard my first Cobra 200. A guy was in a mobile in Florida on 38lsb. He was loud and crystal clear. He told someone the audio clears up at 100 watts. He doesn't run it at full power. He said he keeps it at about 110.

I finally got to use my 200. I must say I am enjoying this radio. DEAD KEY AT 100watts and swings to about 150watts on AM :shock: I have not transmitted on sideband yet... I have not experienced any of the problems that other people are complaining about... I am "inlove" with my S9 but I am having an "affair" with my 200GTLDX. :LOL: :LOL:

If you have a 200 keying 100 on high, you need to back it off to around 35 watts. 100 is way too high to be efficiently modulated. A general rule of thumb is to have a key wattage that is 4 times lower than your max PEP. for 150 watts, 37.5 is key power to look for, and its generally best to under-key just a tad.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio