• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 18 WX ST II (don’t laugh)

Clays swears by them. Always has. The downturn in quality was arrested (CB shop wholesaler version that is boxed versus truckstop blister pack) even if it’s not the Turner or Telex product of old.

I’ve enjoyed having versions of most everything. Just haven’t done “better” testing of audio quality.

Like this?
20200214_224646.jpg

You get a swr/ watt meter? Need one of those. I'd check the output of the radio after you get swr set. If no more than 4w, which typical, I'd just plug and play.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
I have a old Radio Shack Watt/SWR to measure the DK watts. Shouldn’t be more than 4 watts on this budget radio but I want to see if I can get to 1.5 or 2 watts. Ya will check the SWR after the amp is on. At the moment it’s at 1.3 so if it goes up to 1.5 it’s ok. Oh and also need to get a fan cause it’s going under the seat.

I get swr as low as possible. I take amp out of play. 2 foot jumper from radio to meter and coax out to antenna. Mine runs 1.1 with 102". The swr will climb with amp on and keyed.

I am not running a 102 whip...would be nice though. I am using 4’ firestik. I might bond the doors, hood and rear hatch. That could get the SWR’s lower. The antenna is on a steel bracket that’s grounded with a flat ground strap to the frame.

I am not running a 102 whip...would be nice though. I am using 4’ firestik. I might bond the doors, hood and rear hatch. That could get the SWR’s lower. The antenna is on a steel bracket that’s grounded with a flat ground strap to the frame.

I’ve always had good luck with the 4’ Firestik. Especially in making homemade dipole antennas. :)

Gonna put my 0.02 in..

My first radio I bought was a Cobra 18 with the 3 weather channels, figured that would be handy as I was doing college 3 hours away in Columbus OH, so traveling every weekend home, I wanted to have resources. Bought it in '94, ran it as my primary up thru around '97 when I lent it to a friend. I had mine "peaked and tweaked", which unfortunately meant clipped, but I had no idea at the time. It was a talker though, made my buddy with his "self tuned" RCI 2950 look bad a few times, barefoot on my Wilson 1000 mag mount. I only replaced it because I wanted SSB, so I got my DX88HL.

As for the RM Italy, Ever notice "Made in Hong Kong"? Maybe why some are blue, some black. I keep kicking around putting one of my Palomars in my Jeep, just for the added help if I ever need it. My Antron 1700 works pretty well without the assistance though, and if I ever make it to Summit Racing where DX Engineering is, I'll be picking up another 102". If I can ever find a 1/4"-5/16" Stainless ball bearing, I'll just braze it onto my old one though, I need the ball to tie it down for the parking garages...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?