• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 18 WX ST II (don’t laugh)

Alrightee....I hooked up my water meter and got this reading:

View attachment 34341

I am going to safely say that it’s 2 watts DK? Where is the switch is set at 20w then 100 reads 1w, 200 is 2w...etc. If this is the case then it’s good to go.
2 watt output is just fine for the amp. 4w is fine also. If you read the specs I believe they state 10w swing on AM for the 203. Most radios set at 4w dk do not swing to 10w, maybe 7w. You are well within limits. Hook it up and enjoy. Get one of your offroad buddies to help you with checks from down the road. You'll be moving up after awhile to bigger radio.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
2 watt output is just fine for the amp. 4w is fine also. If you read the specs I believe they state 10w swing on AM for the 203. Most radios set at 4w dk do not swing to 10w, maybe 7w. You are well within limits. Hook it up and enjoy. Get one of your offroad buddies to help you with checks from down the road. You'll be moving up after awhile to bigger radio.

Well all right!!! I am kinda glad the radio is underpowered. Less “tinkering” to do. But...if I need to drop the power I now know I can. Good advice on friends help! Also some radio checks to see what my range is.

Everybody likes pics..well i do. Here is my set-up.

5C157213-A51F-4DD2-BDD2-2C7EEA5D5A97.jpeg 5244A565-930E-4ADC-95D6-A9352E3CE46A.jpeg 6A9CBF5D-216E-4D54-8890-BD8FCA6FF505.jpeg

Next project: get that antenna up on top so it can work!

That would be cool but here in the LA area there are too many parking structures. The radio radio antenna hits and sometimes the firestik too. If I had a taller antenna I would look like a bumper car and it’s power source dragging around the ceiling. LOL

Reactions: WECSOG
Thank you! I like the DIN size of the radio. Keeps
with the OEM look. Looking back I should have gotten the President McKinley radio. The TR4 antenna bracket is made by a member on the 4Runner boards.

Your radio looks factory installed and that antenna bracket is sweet!
Very classy setup indeed.

Me likey! I love how it fits right in to the dash like it was made to.

Did you scrape the paint off the bracket where you mounted the ground strap? Or does it have "teeth" on the ID of the bolt hole of the terminal end?

Me likey! I love how it fits right in to the dash like it was made to.

Did you scrape the paint off the bracket where you mounted the ground strap? Or does it have "teeth" on the ID of the bolt hole of the terminal end?

Fits like a glove!! Ya, I scarped the paint off the body where the bracket is mounted. Also no paint under the bracket where is ground strap is. Checked constant nudity(continuity) and is was a loud beep reading zero.

Reactions: Cutlass327
My amp (KL203) arrived today! What puzzles my is that it’s black instead of blue. Looks legit and has paperwork. Also the shipper was wonky in the way they sent it. Amp in box, wrapped in bubble wrap but in a bag marked fragile. Has to be Italian it says “Fragile”!!! LOL

Anyways here are the pics:

View attachment 34293 View attachment 34294 View attachment 34295 View attachment 34296 View attachment 34297

So hopefully I will have some time this weekend if not maybe next.

How’s it working? No puffs of smoke I hope. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.