• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 200

I had a Cobra 200 offered to me for $50.00 and turned it down. It had some problems. One of our local guys just bought one. It sounds good, but I'm just waiting to see how long it lasts.

King Mudduck said:
Sorry this is not meant to piss you off Ashtonford but........people will tell you anything to sell a product. Out of the great many posts i have seen about this radio i have yet to see anyone praising a 200. Sure there have been a very few that have said that they love there's but by far most have had nothing good to say about them at all!

Sparky has a great reputation as a reliable person and quite a few people I know have done business with him and value and trust his judgement. I believe it all in how the radio is set up and tuned. If you have a good tech work it over when you purchase it . It should be fine, Ill let everryone know what I think of it

Cheech said:
Chances are the resistor for the chanel mod was not put back in place for those chanels they refer to as government chanels. When doing the mod you must take the resistor and move it one space. When I got mine it I had a friend do the chanel mod but he did not know he needed to move the resistor so it got sucked up in his solder sucker. he ended up replacing it with a regular resistor of the same value and all those random chanels I was not able to tx on worked. You have to be realy good at soldering to do it though the space is so small one wrong move and your screwed!

Yep Cheech, you were 100% correct. I Ohmed out the pads the SMT resistor sat on and it showed High Resistance, Cleaned up the solder job and reflowed the solder to the left side of the resistor and got the correct reading. Re-checked the radio and all the freq's worked.
Another local that had one, found out that I fixed it for the other guy and brought me his.. It was missing the resistor entirely.
Added a ned SMT resistor and he was in business too.
Both are now very happy with the 200.
Thanks for the info and the simple fix.

Roger

RE radio

76inthewheatfield said:
A local has just orderd a 200 from DTB.We'll have to wait and see how it turns out. 8)

The one I got from sparkys is great! he did a perfect job of tuning! and its all included in The sales price!!!

Rogerbird1 said:
Cheech said:
Chances are the resistor for the chanel mod was not put back in place for those chanels they refer to as government chanels. When doing the mod you must take the resistor and move it one space. When I got mine it I had a friend do the chanel mod but he did not know he needed to move the resistor so it got sucked up in his solder sucker. he ended up replacing it with a regular resistor of the same value and all those random chanels I was not able to tx on worked. You have to be realy good at soldering to do it though the space is so small one wrong move and your screwed!

Yep Cheech, you were 100% correct. I Ohmed out the pads the SMT resistor sat on and it showed High Resistance, Cleaned up the solder job and reflowed the solder to the left side of the resistor and got the correct reading. Re-checked the radio and all the freq's worked.
Another local that had one, found out that I fixed it for the other guy and brought me his.. It was missing the resistor entirely.
Added a ned SMT resistor and he was in business too.
Both are now very happy with the 200.
Thanks for the info and the simple fix.

Roger
No prooblem good to hear you got them working!!! 8)

The charm is broken for me. He just called and told me the radio died on him while using it on SSB in high power. Same symptoms that others described in this thread. This is the first one that I personally have had a customer tell me of. I am going to see if I can get either Mountain View Electronics (Cobra's East-US warranty center) to let me now what the fix is, or email Ramon at Cobra for the same info. If I can take care of it before the radios ship, I'll definitely do that.

But, he definitely liked it up til it died!

DTB Radio said:
The charm is broken for me.
I got one of the first ones from you and mine still works great. I have a little problem from strong breed over, but other than that it is good. Do you know any later fixes for the receiver? I'd gladly send it to you for the fix if you do.

Ya He called and told me what happend !:shock:I told him before he got the 200 that there where these type problems so He knew.Well we will have to wait for the fix and hope for the best. 8) 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.