• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL

667 chicago mobile

Apr 16, 2005
U.S.A.
Ok Guy's,
How many of you guy's like the Cobra 2000 GTL Base Unit. I have a friend that is selling his father's 2000 Gtl. It's Like New and I mean NEW :D :D .. It was made in 1989 and he did
some Mod's to it. It goes from 26.515Mhz to 27.855Mhz..
He want's $250.00 for this radio. Is it a Deal or NO Deal..
Tom

I say buy it! They are great radios. Don't get me wrong...there are alot of radios out there that do much more, but the 2000gtl was probably the best CB base station made (no flames please).

You seem to know the history of this radio, so that is a plus. It is also a good price. Remember, they are not made anymore, so the prices are going to continue to go up, but also the parts will get harder to find.

I love mine (stock ecept a variable power on the tone control), and it resides right under my Magnum S9, so best of both worlds............Go for it!

catch 22 for me , 250.00 for a used C-2000 , parts and what not ? I think it's just about what somebody cares to want , If it were me , I'd surely pass on the deal , unless it were numbers I just couldn't refuse , but that surely wouldn't be 250.00 in my billfold. I personally would really like a new Cobra 200 and let the power supply take care of the rest of it's needs. Somthing that can be repaired /have a warrenty/ and parts readily available. Save your money 667 or get a older 148 or Grant for half the price, but like I said , it just depends on what one really wants ? Good Luck to you

Reactions: 1 person
I paid 275.00 for my Cobra 2000 from 13VA, and yes I paid him, and it's worth every penny.

I have to agree with Swtch Kit it all depends on what some one wants. I guess I wanted one because I own three of them. Great radios ,two of them I bought new and they have never been out of the boxes. If it were me I would buy it.

great radio fairly good price. lots of great features the extra channels are great for talking DX. i like to get up around 27.605,27.505, on lsb. although another great one that you can channel out and peak well is the uniden washington no freq counter but still a great radio that can maybe be had at a lower price. i would buy that 2000 gtl though you can't go wrong it will rival those rangers anytime ( i am a ranger owner too) ps the cobra is one great looking radio too.

Great classic radio...I own two.
One is kind of rough and one is mint...channeled and unlocked, but not even peaked and tuned yet. I also have a Cobra 200 and although it has way more power, the recieve on the 2000 is just as quiet and the selectivity is far better.

I like them alot...
YMMV ;)
preacherman

DTB Radio said:
BUY IT!!! Or let me buy it.

DTB, Well I bought it. And man Im glad that I did. This 2000 gtl is Mint and has Extra Channels 26.5150 Mhz to 28.9999 Mhz. Variable power on Tone Control. He also gave me a D-104 base mic, with an Extra Speaker. I guess all this for $250.00 isn't all that bad. Im going to look for an other 2000 gtl for a part's radio.
Tom

667 chicago mobile said:
DTB, Well I bought it. And man Im glad that I did. This 2000 gtl is Mint and has Extra Channels 26.5150 Mhz to 28.9999 Mhz. Variable power on Tone Control. He also gave me a D-104 base mic, with an Extra Speaker. I guess all this for $250.00 isn't all that bad. Im going to look for an other 2000 gtl for a part's radio.
Tom

28.9999??? That doesn't sound right. That radio doesn't have the bandwidth to handle that range of freqs, even with some pretty heavy mods. I'd have a shop look it over and see exactly what the range actually is. Do you know what method(s) they used to get the extras? I'm guessing a combination of PLL modification as well as crystal switching.

DTB Radio said:
BUY IT!!! Or let me buy it.

DTB, I did have the radio check'ed out and the Low Freq's are 26.505 to 26.955, CB Freq's are 26.965 to 27.405, Hi Freq's are 27.415 to 27.855.. Also it has Channel Gard in it.. Sweet talking base Station. I also noticed NO TVI..
Tom

667, I would think you would like that radio. I have owned 6 of them, and loved them all. They are great radios. I am always into trading for something different is the only reason I don't have any now.

667 chicago mobile said:
DTB, I did have the radio check'ed out and the Low Freq's are 26.505 to 26.955, CB Freq's are 26.965 to 27.405, Hi Freq's are 27.415 to 27.855.. Also it has Channel Gard in it.. Sweet talking base Station. I also noticed NO TVI..
Tom

Ok, that makes more sense than what you;d posted first about the frequency range. Sounds like a basic crystal-switching kit, which should be pretty reliable for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.