• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coily EXCALIBUR Base Antenna

Wow! Last night I talked to two stations about 20-22 miles away with the Mr. Coily Enforcer .64 up about 25 ft from the ground to the feedpoint. The other stations were both on bases (with Imax 2000's) and using galaxy 99v and magnum S9. I was talking on a 4 watt swinging 12 watt radio (Nato 2000) as my CB. They wanted to know what box I had turned on since I started talking to them. I told them the box was turned off! They said that my signal there was about 7 1/2 to 8 S-units in both locations and didnt beleive I was barefoot!. They said I usually came in prior at around a 5-5 1/2 s-unit signal! I turned the box on and they said it jumped up into the red, over 10 s-units. I was so surprised since the box on my prior antenna, the imax 2k/gpk would only give them about 8 s-units, but that is what I am now doing barefoot! Their signal were about 7 s-units roughly each, which is up from the 5-ish s-units from before.

Also, Shot DX all over the place with 4 watts yesterday afternoon and didnt have to switch over to the flat side of the beams, good conditions lately up here in michigan!

I just wanted to share some happy signal report in my testings here on the new Mr. Coily Enforcer .64 groundplane and I will report more later. Thanks again for a great product!!

Roger Dodger said:
32 feet of double/triple wall T-6 aluminum for a ground plane and stainless hdwr.? That should be quite pricey! Anyone want to buy me an early Xmas present?

My questions for Dan @ Mr.Coily are:

1) Are you applying any finish preservatives to the Enforcer's aluminum to retard eventual corrosion/oxidation?

2) Do you believe in a finish preservative? (ie. Mosley Weather-Guard)

3) Do you recommend conductive grease carefully applied to coax connections? (ie. Mosley Penetrox)

I have looked into some type of anti oxidation covering for the base and the mobile that i could spray on the keep em shiny and new, right now No i have not protected it from that possabilty, i do sand all the connection when i build them.In protecting and trying to keep like new,there are not to many products out there for that, i will be checking into the mosley products and possably i can get a few good ideas on how they have in the past protected there antennas,I am always open to help and ideas if you know where to get some good spray on clear covering i will more than check it out i will try it out..I personally have never used electrical grease or spray on stuff of any kinds and have never had any problem all the years i have been running radios....But i would suggest some coax seal after installation to keep it dry in the coax...The antenna itself has only coax and one coil connection beside the mast sections and you could cover the entire thing with a good coax seal if you wanted in the coil and connector i will look into a wholesale price for a good sealer to include in the package,,i know it sounds but good ole rtv works wonders,take a hand full and cover your coax ends and they will never leak works good on almost any connection rub in and wipe it clean can't even harldy tell it there flecxible also..Good stuff.and the full wave it will be a monster antenna i am looking forward to getting it built and up on a 20-30 foot pole for real testing...And it will be a heavy wall steel pole with a cement base...I make my own towers also anybody interested,,anything that has to do with metal i can build it for you ,All i need is a blue print,,,I do perfect work i am a steel boilermaker fabricator in trade...73sss Dan

Dan-
I have used the Mosley Weather-Guard with success. I don't know of its chemical composition, but I'm sure it's non-reactive to RF , unlike some standard clearcoats that are on the market. As for conductive grease, my only fear is the avg. person applying it too liberally or sloppy like and it can then become an electrical path for RF problems! I too agree that non-reactive RTV is fine as well as the rubberized coax seal tape. That stuff is quite permanent and water-tight over time!
----------------------------------------------------------
Regarding your gain spec. on the Enforcer, is that a 2db gain over a majority of competitor's verticals (who already claim an avg. of 5db/isotropic)? Or is that 2db over isotropic? If the latter is so, seems the competition would outgain the Enforcer yet, testimonials from Enforcer owners seem to be filled with positive excitement. Just trying to understand things clearly here. The reason I inquire is in the near future, I'm going to be needing a decent ground plane to cover 24-29mhz. w/ as flat an SWR curve as possible. The Ranger AR-3500 will easily encompass that bandwidth. Using a high quality gnd. plane eliminates my heavy Cornell rotor and that simplifies antenna mast arrangements/considerations when mounting other antennas as well. Thank you.

Roger Dodger said:
Dan-
I have used the Mosley Weather-Guard with success. I don't know of its chemical composition, but I'm sure it's non-reactive to RF , unlike some standard clearcoats that are on the market. As for conductive grease, my only fear is the avg. person applying it too liberally or sloppy like and it can then become an electrical path for RF problems! I too agree that non-reactive RTV is fine as well as the rubberized coax seal tape. That stuff is quite permanent and water-tight over time!
Regarding your gain spec. on the Enforcer, is that a 2db gain over a majority of competitor's verticals (who already claim an avg. of 5db/isotropic)? Or is that 2db over isotropic? If the latter is so, seems the competition would outgain the Enforcer yet, testimonials from Enforcer owners seem to be filled with positive excitement. Just trying to understand things clearly here. The reason I inquire is in the near future, I'm going to be needing a decent ground plane to cover 24-29mhz. w/ as flat an SWR curve as possible. The Ranger AR-3500 will easily encompass that bandwidth. Using a high quality gnd. plane eliminates my heavy Cornell rotor and that simplifies antenna mast arrangements/considerations when mounting other antennas as well. Thank you.

Sorry about the late reply,,Roger, went to the rockfest 10 in portland ,,, 9 bands,,,, yesterday all work no play make dan a dull boy as they say,,,, i will get back to you with some specs later today so you can get an idea of what going on with the gain figures ,,gota run this mornig have no time to play,,aluminum is a calling 73sss...Thanks Roger doger i will get back to you i just have no time this morning..

Roger Dodger said:
Dan-

Hello roger i updated the web sight on the gain figures and how i came up with mine,,i can't really say about all there gain figures,as i do mine the old fashion way i setup and actually do a test@18 miles from my shop over a mountain range to my base works for me.....Anyway i am fairly confident on my rating and the post and my e-mails show it ...so i guess all theres have higher hype gains??

Here is a list also i found today looking for anti oxidants on the web ...73sss .DAn
The following is a list of paste and grease-like products for the
prevention of oxidation of aluminum in electrical connections and
antenna installations:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer:
Butternut Electronics Company
831 North Central Avenue
Wood Dale, IL 60191
Tel: (708) 238-1854
Fax: (708) 238-1186
Product Name: Butter-It's-Not
Source: Direct if not stocked by local authorized dealer.
Price: $3.50/ Envelope
NOTES: Contains copper dust in a molybdemum suspension.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer:
GB Electrical
6101 N. Baker Road
Milwaukee, WI 53209
Tel: 1-800-558-4311
Product Name: OX-GARD
Source: Available from many electrical supply houses and retail
outlets such as Sears, Home Depot, Ace and True Value Hardware
stores. No Factory direct sales.
GB catalog number OX-100B.
Price: Approximately 3.00/ 1-oz tube
Manufacturer:
Ideal Industries, Inc.
Becker Place
Sycamore, IL 60178
Tel: 1-800-435-0705
and: 1-815-895-5181
Fax: 1-800-533-4483
Product Name: NOALOX
Source: Distributors (Call 800 number for nearest one)
Price: Ideal list price $2.58/ half oz tube (#30-024) and
$8.64/8oz bottle (#30-030).
NOTES: Also available from many electrical wholesale supply houses.
No factory direct sales. Contains zinc particles suspended
in a carrier.
Manufacturer:
KLM Antennas Inc.
PO Box 694
Monroe, WA 98272
Tel: 1-360-794-2923
Fax: 1-360-794-0294
Product Name: Conductive Paste
Source: Factory direct and larger dealers.
Price: $3.50 plus shipping & handling/ 1 ounce containers

NOTES: Anti-seize thread compound Hi-Temperature MIL-A-907E.
Contains copper and graphite flakes suspended in a petroleum base.
Manufactured for Mirage/KLM by Chemical Commodities Agency, Inc.
of Highland, CA per MIL-A-907E.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer:
Sanchem, Inc.
1600 S. Canal Street
Chicago, IL 60616
Tel: 1-800-621-1603
Out of State: 1-312-733-6111
Fax: 1-312-733-7432
Product Name: NO-OX-ID
Source: Direct from Manufacturer
Price: $11/16oz can or $8.80/8oz tube (plus shipping)
Minimum order - $35
NOTES: NO-OX-ID comes in several consistencies. NO-OX-ID "A" and
NO-OX-ID "A-Special" are suitable for most antenna installations.
NO-OX-ID "A-Special" is similar to NO-OX-ID "A" but has a small
amount of solvent added for ease of application.
Manufacturer:
Thomas & Betts Company
1555 Lynnfield Road
Memphis, TN 38119
Tel: 1-800-888-0211
Fax: 1-800-888-0790
Product Name: Aluma-Shield
Source: No direct factory sales. Available from many electrical
supply distributors.
Price: Approximately $11.44/ 8oz can.
NOTES: Customer may call 800 number for location of nearest
distributor. Contains zinc particles suspended in a petroleum base.
Manufacturer:
Burndy Electrical
101 E. Industrial Park Dr.
Manchester, NH, 03108
Tel: 1-800-346-4175
Fax: 1-800-346-9826
Product Name: Penetrox (PEN-A)
Source: Electrical wholesalers
Price: Approx. $6/ 3oz tube
NOTES: Zinc particles suspended in a natural based compound.
Manufacturer:
Ilsco Corporation
4730 Madison Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45227
Tel: 1-513-533-6200
Fax: 1-513-533-6274
Product Name: DE-OX
Source: No factory direct sales. Available from electrical
supply wholesalers and distributors. Customer may call for
nearest distributor.
Price: Approximately $2.90/ 1oz, $4.90/ 4oz and
$7.30/ 8oz squeeze bottle.
NOTES: Used in the electrical trade for Al/Cu and Al/Al connections.
Green colored grease with no noticeable particles in suspension.
Manufacturer:
Antennas West
PO Box 50062
Provo, Utah 84605
Tel: 1-801-373-8425
Fax: 1-801-373-8426
Product Name: Goose Grease
Source: Factory direct sales only.
Price: $1.00/ 1oz + and $1.00 p&h.
NOTES: Transparent silicone grease. Antennas West also recommends
this product for ground rod clamp connections.
Manufacturer:
Mosley Electronics, Inc.
10812 Ambassador Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132
Tel: 1-800-966-7539
and: 1-800-325-4016
and: 1-314-994-7872
Fax: 1-314-994-7873
Product Name: 1) Mosley Penatrox (Conductive Grease)
2) Weather Guard (Clear spray coating)
Source: Factory direct sales only.
Price: Mosley Penatrox- $4.45 / packet + postage.

Weather Guard- $12.75/ 8oz spray can + shipping
NOTES: Mosley Penatrox is a greaselike product. Weather Guard is a
clear spray especially recommended for marine and coastal
environments. Weather Guard cannot be shipped via the post
office; UPS required.
Manufacturer:
Loctite Corporation
1001 Troutbrook Crossing
Rocky Hill, CT 06067-3910
Tele: 800-842-0041
Product Name: Permatex ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT
Source: Many Automotive Supply Distributors
Price: N/A
NOTES: Comes in 1 oz squeeze tube, 8 fluid oz brush top container,
and a 12 oz aerosol can. Can be used on the threads of
U-bolts to prevent "seizing, galling, and corrosion."
It aids in the disassembly of the the antenna's hardware.
Not for use on electrical connections. The part no. on
a 1 oz tube is 133A.

coily base antenna

coily i was checkin out your web page , u tune all your base antennas correct it the one pic i saw u it so close to a chanlink fence on of the ground plane element was way ove the top of the fence ???? wont this mess your match up :?:

Re: coily base antenna

redwing21 said:
coily i was checkin out your web page , u tune all your base antennas correct it the one pic i saw u it so close to a chanlink fence on of the ground plane element was way ove the top of the fence ???? wont this mess your match up :?:

I have been asked so many times i might move my tuning pole... :D But no i does not affect the tuning ,at first i was using the corner post with a pole inside and climbing up and down tuning checking differant bands and everything involved in tuning ,,,,well after a few antennas i planted a pole in the ground and it shows no differance in the tuning ..Only time it really affects it is when i get close enough to the coil or my body gets above the ground planes then it will make the swr and ohms react to the mass reflection but even then its only a point or 2 of movement...it has a very flat Swr pattern ......Also from the mounted test pole to installed height the swr movment is minimal, On mine it goes from 1.0.1 on the ground to 1.1.1 in the air.....All Good...As the post have shown and the customer reports on my web page shows flat right out the box,,and it helps me sleep well at night knowing i pretuned it...Thanks for asking...Coily

mrcoily said:
redwing21 said:

I have been asked so many times i might move my tuning pole... :D But no i does not affect the tuning ,at first i was using the corner post with a pole inside and climbing up and down tuning checking differant bands and everything involved in tuning ,,,,well after a few antennas i planted a pole in the ground and it shows no differance in the tuning ..Only time it really affects it is when i get close enough to the coil or my body gets above the ground planes then it will make the swr and ohms react to the mass reflection but even then its only a point or 2 of movement...it has a very flat Swr pattern ......Also from the mounted test pole to installed height the swr movment is minimal, On mine it goes from 1.0.1 on the ground to 1.1.1 in the air.....All Good...As the post have shown and the customer reports on my web page shows flat right out the box,,and it helps me sleep well at night knowing i pretuned it...Thanks for asking...Coily

okay if u belive that , i was told never to tune any antenna near any metal . alway to keep it likr 10ft away form any metal
when was the last time your anynalizer was calibrated do u comare it with another meter ????

redwing21 said:
mrcoily said:
redwing21 said:

okay if u belive that , i was told never to tune any antenna near any metal . alway to keep it likr 10ft away form any metal
when was the last time your anynalizer was calibrated do u comare it with another meter ????

Yeah i belive that,So what your saying is i need to move my pole 10 feet,you tell me why i should climb a ladder up and down all day when i get the same reading sitting on the 6 foot pole.I build the antennas, If the fence was a problem i would move the pole!Also when i pretune here on the pole, and test them at my shop there flat 1.1.1 across the band,i would think if the fence created any havoc when remounted in an open field it would show the differances,All the antenna are flat 1.1.1 out the box ..I do ask that all antenna are rechecked and every time they have been 1.1.1 pretuned....I am going to do you a favor and take down the fence pictures, it seems to really bother you....I will replace it with a picture of the middle of the open field giving the same reading....Is there a reason an answer cannot ever be right.....Thanks.Dan

redwing21 said:
I did not have any SWR problem with the Base Enforcer antenna that I bought from Coily. The SWR was 1.1:1 out the box and assembled to Coily's pretuned marks. So I guess the fence does not matter. :roll:

that metal thing is for the birds. I have mine only about 2 feet from metal (top of a satellite dish) and I have a 1:1:1 match as well, yes I have TWO MFJ 259 meters, a set of CPI WM1000 meters and others and I get the same reading every time I check. I would not think that all 3 of our MFJ meters (coilys and my two here) would need alignment. As long as the metal is below the ground planes you will be alright. I talk all over the place locally, hit skip all day long on 4 watts swinging 12watts. Great antenna!

Whats all the big deal about this metal fence??? LOL
If it works where he's setting it, why change it?
You guys are going to drive the man nuts...LOL
Most antennas you don't even get markers. I
just don't see the big deal in this.
I set my SWRs on my antenna alittle above a metal
fence. Stayed close to the same after i installed it.

OMG if you guys are paying $500 for a CB antenna, I think I might start building my own with a big open ugly bug catcher coil on it. man 100 of these babys sold I could retire early.
:D Just kidding but that is alot of green for an antenna. Not me I'll stick to wires.

i understand where you are coming from but the time to make this antenna (I understand) and the cost of the materials (and power handling potentials) makes this antenna very expensive. The build quality of mr coily antennas is flawless (unlike others..). Just my opinion, I own the enforcer antenna and it takes days to make it. He is not getting rich off these antennas but providing a extremely high quality low loss antenna for us enthusists.

Redwing 21 let me add a side bar in testimony to what Mr. Coily experiences regarding a chainlink fence. Years back I had a tower mounted on a custom made base that hinged, allowing me to drop it to the ground, in reality lay the tower on a chainlink fence to work on the antennas and rotor. With the antennas laying horizontal and within several feet of the fence, I'd set the match with little affect to swr from the fence or proximity to the ground. The diffs between full vertical or lying down were minimal and if I wanted to get real picky, I adjusted/compensated the match to show the lowest swr once it was raised and locked in place. So Mr. Coily is not shoveling you a line of BS. It is possible and I'm proof of it as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.