• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cooking a Brisket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Mar 17, 2006
Folks its getting time toi move outdoors a i just built a huge and when i say huge i mean huge Texas size smoker
and when i say smoke i mean it smokes .
yes first week i burn it out and seasoned it i smoked out over 3 blocks
not just a smoke drift here and there i mean lots of smoke enough to have the PD an FireChief Show up in my alley
yes i will post some pics of this smoke athon
ok going to cook some briskets this weekend and looking for some more ideas on
how other folks smoke there brisket::
oh and just to start if you dont smoke a brisket for less than 10 hours You need not reply
i cook with fat side up this way the juices run back down into the meat instead of dripping off the bottom
and these are untrimmed fresh brisket
what kinda rub do we use
do we cook in tinfoil first then smoke it
ok post away

I think that sort of stuff is illegal where I live. No more fireplaces, BBQs or smokers.

Actually, we can have gas fireplaces, but no smoking BBQs.

Folks its getting time toi move outdoors a i just built a huge and when i say huge i mean huge Texas size smoker
and when i say smoke i mean it smokes .
yes first week i burn it out and seasoned it i smoked out over 3 blocks
not just a smoke drift here and there i mean lots of smoke enough to have the PD an FireChief Show up in my alley
yes i will post some pics of this smoke athon
ok going to cook some briskets this weekend and looking for some more ideas on
how other folks smoke there brisket::
oh and just to start if you dont smoke a brisket for less than 10 hours You need not reply
i cook with fat side up this way the juices run back down into the meat instead of dripping off the bottom
and these are untrimmed fresh brisket
what kinda rub do we use
do we cook in tinfoil first then smoke it
ok post away

I have been smoking meats for a few decades and the best way is to keep it simple. Use a dry rub of just salt and pepper, wrap it in foil fat side up, temp about 250 for six hours then unwrapped for about two hours or until done. There are MANY different ways to do it. Another way (this really works great but if your hard core BBQ buddy's find out they will give you a hard time) is to put it in the oven, yes I said oven, just before you go to sleep at a low temp of about 180 deg. for 12 hours and then unwrapped in the smoker for 3 to 4 hours.
Sometimes it not necessary to cook a brisket for a long time. I live 15 miles from Lockhart, TX other wise known as the BBQ capital of the world. They cook their briskets for 3 hours, it just depends on what temp and smoker you have. Good luck!!

I think that sort of stuff is illegal where I live. No more fireplaces, BBQs or smokers.

OMG Where do you live?? That is outrageous! So a man can't go hunt his meat then cook it? That isn’t right

Not to completely hi-jack this thread, but as a professional fire fighter, I would like to address this particular issue.....

First and foremost I think laws like that are total bullshit, but this sort of thing happens in many congested communities, and this is how it happens.....

Every community has their whiners and complainers, those people with no life that spend all day figuring out what they can cry about next, these are the same people that have 911 on speed dial, because they can't dial it fast enough, and they abuse the system to no end. These are also the people that dial 911 and report something on fire in their neighborhood every time someone else lights up a fireplace, wood stove, chimenea, meat smoker, or bar-b-que pit.
They go to their city counsel meetings where they whine and cry about these careless people mis-using their (fill in device here)__________and something needs to be done to stop it. Counsel gets tired of hearing these same handful of whiners complain, and they certainly don't want to loose their vote at next election, so they quietly pass a law prohibiting the use of (fill in device here)___________. The next thing you know, you've got your smoker fired up, a couple pounds of brisket in there for it's day long smoke treatment, and the next thing you know the fire dept and a cop show up at your front door telling you to extinguish the source of annoying smoke or we'll have to do it for you.
I've had to be that fireman, and it's one of the most embarrassing things I have to do in my job, to walk into somebody's back yard with a pressurized water fire extinguisher, and put out a smoker, wood burning bar-b-que pit, or chimenea.
The city I work for quietly passed a law a few years ago in an effort to stop people from lighting charcoal bar-b-que's on their front decks...(too close to the structure), but what they did was pass a law that reads...{if the smoke from any device causes an annoyance to anyone in the community, that device has to be rendered inoperable}. At least this particular law did not include a fireplace inside the structure.
The other problem being, for all the good the 911 system has done, it is abused to no end. People dial it for the dumbest reasons, and some folks aren't happy unless they dial it at least 5 times a day. As a professional fire fighter I have come close to disciplinary action because I've told more than one person that if they dial 911 one more time I was going to remove the 9 and the 1 from their phone, and I once told one smacked ass tourist that I was going to confiscate his cell phone because he was too damn stupid to own one.....but I digress.....

The point of this rant is.....always keep an eye and an ear on what's going on in your community and your elected lawmakers, these assclowns will impose the dumbest laws on everybody in that community just to shut up one or two whiners, and not loose their vote, this is how antenna restrictions happen, smoker and bar-b-que restrictions happen, and even barking dog laws.......

Now back to our regularly schedule discussion about smoking brisket......

I always thought Brisket needed to be cooked forever for it to be tender and melt in your mouth. I was wrong . My better half is Mexican , and I've seen her take it and and slice it thin raw and cook it in butter for less then a half hour . And it would come out fairly good. (chewable anyway)

I think fresh garlic can be a trick with all kinds of meats having to do with there tenderness. The first time I saw her cook the brisket like that I was thinking (fried leather) but I was surprisingly wrong.

Although I will admit , the longer the brisket is cooked , the better it seems to be.

Huh...Are U sure about Lockhart? I thought Kansas City was THE BBQ CAPITAL of all BBQ capitals.:blink:

I think KS has the best sauce! There are a lot of good places, Lockhart has a pop of 10,000 and has 4 (one does not have sauce) very good BBQ joints. BTW, a BBQ place has to cook with wood to be worthy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.