• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Correct Place to Test SWR?

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Unable to test at the antenna feedpoint, so which of these are impostors?

1. At the SWR Meter: SWR = 1.44 R = 71.5 X = -3.6
2. At the Amp: SWR = 1.37 R = 49.5 X = 15.7
3. At the Radio: SWR = 1.05 R = 50.6 X = 2.2

Readings taken with RigExpert AA-54.

Thanks!

Last edited:

As close to the antenna as possible. What that usually means is after the last thing in line, be it an antenna tuner, an amplifier, a low pass filter, or the radio.
Anything that is between the antenna and the meter add impedance and will throw the reading off slightly to a lot.

As close to the antenna as possible. What that usually means is after the last thing in line, be it an antenna tuner, an amplifier, a low pass filter, or the radio.
Anything that is between the antenna and the meter add impedance and will throw the reading off slightly to a lot.

Nothing between the antenna and meter.
Radio...Amp...Meter...Antenna

So at the point where the antenna coax plugs into the SWR Meter?

I think you test all three, keep the lowest, and ignore the other two.
The low one makes me feel better. :)

If you want to know the impedance of the antenna test at the feedpoint. If you can not do that, construct a coaxial cable that is multiples of an electrical half wave and test through it. If the cable is real long and of poor quality chances are you will be reading some losses into the test. If it is reasonably long and good quality you should not see much, if any, changes from measuring at the antenna.

I've been through this before. When I had my MFJ-1786 mag loop, I tuned it using the SWR meter on the controller. Could get it almost flat on any frequency but the SWR reading on the radio's meter was high (3.0 or more). Same thing when taking readings using my analyzer. MFJ personnel said ignore all that and trust the reading on the controller. I tried but the gremlins in my mind finally won out and I returned it. :(

Reactions: Slowmover
They could all be imposters & probably are looking at the numbers over a short distance of coax,
there is no special place to put the meter where you will get a more accurate reading,

either you DON'T have cmc on the braid & any position of the meter will give a true vswr reading minus the loss in the coax you added between meter & antenna,

or you DO have cmc & no position for the meter will give a true reading of the antenna impedance, they are all true at the point you insert the meter,

your just not measuring what you think you are measuring

your are always measuring the antenna in parallel with the coax outer braid common mode impedance regardless of where you put the meter along the coax,

coax length will effect vswr by changing the impedance terminating the antenna end of the coax,

how can that be?

coax has 3 conductors for rf, 2 inside + the outside of the braid,
typical cb installs have a 3 conductor feed-line plus a conductive mast & sometimes a 5th conductor a silly ground wire running from the antenna to a rod in the ground,

not many people think about the 3rd & 4th & 5th conductors,

but they will waste good money on lower loss coax that makes less difference to signal & noise than properly installing your antenna.

think of a vswr meter as been like a fuel gauge in your car that shows the total gallons of ( gas + washer bottle + oil level + transmission fluid ) and displays it as gallons on one scale

but i only want to know how much gas i have,

block the pipes feeding everything but the gas tank,

what you have left on the gauge is what you want to measure & its not pissing oil & water everywhere.

Now that you found your Cup of Joe...

Just wanted to pass this bit of advice...

You may know how your antenna may be as far as SWR is - When you measure at the antenna...

But - do you know how well the plumbing is performing, trying to get it there?

You do not always have the luxury of knowing the Feedpoint - and - once everything is installed - we should all be good right?

Or... Are you?

As I used to say, and sometimes I still do...

Its' ok - just between You and Me...
If you spell Potato...
With an "e"...

All kidding aside, sometimes the search for the best rock to skip across the sea of knowledge - we forget to remember we are right on it's shores...

The 'net's we cast to search - we will find many a setup that failed, miserably - because the operator forgot to verify the SWR - Back At The Radio ...

Reactions: Riverman
The plumbing is all important,
If you move the vswr meter to the radio from somewhere else along the coax and vswr is higher you have cmc or wrong impedance / faulty coax jumper or amp with bad bypass circuit ect & should fix that first.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.