• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Could someone tell me exactly how I shoud go about getting my Amateur radio license?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I really want to get my Amateur radio license so that I can use my 10 meter radio, I have been directed to the "practice" tests before, but I want to take the actual test and I can't find anything locally in my area to take it, it's supposed to be free right?

Thanx

T23

I really want to get my Amateur radio license so that I can use my 10 meter radio, I have been directed to the "practice" tests before, but I want to take the actual test and I can't find anything locally in my area to take it, it's supposed to be free right?

Thanx

T23

Test is free, however, administration fees may be up to $15.

Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

Technician is pretty common sense.

Tips from one technician to another:
1.) DO NOT cheap out on coax like it did, it'll bite you in the ass later, and you'll just end up upgrading it (like I did).
2.) Height is might
3.) Vertical antennas are not popular on 10m.
4.) DO listen to other hams. I learned a lot from a local guy who was a Motorola technician from college graduation until retirement.
5.) DO learn how to solder properly.
6.) DO make your own antennas.
7.) DO repair your own equipment.
8.) DO learn CW. It's worth the effort.

Thanx for the info.

I do solder pretty well.

I do listen to other hams.

I have treid and failed in the making of antennas.

I have passed the practice test.

Could you explain the vertical antenna situation you were talking about in a little more detail.

T23

And CW... I am awaiting a deal for a key to come in...So that will be no problem.

T23

Thanx for the info.

I do solder pretty well.

I do listen to other hams.

I have treid and failed in the making of antennas.

I have passed the practice test.

Could you explain the vertical antenna situation you were talking about in a little more detail.

T23

Learning from your mistakes is important too. Start with a simple 1/4 ground plane antenna or a 1/2 dipole, and go from there.

10m band is the only HF band you're allowed SSB privileges on.

11m CB band, vertical polarity is popular, because most stations are mobile, and are limited to vertical antennas.

10m band, horizontal polarity is popular, because most stations are bases. Occasionally, you'll find another person with a vertical antenna, or a mobile station on a vertical antenna. However, most people on 10m band are using either a dipole, a 3 el, or a 5 el yagi. As you know, vertical to horizontal = half signal strength. Well, I've missed a lot of DX because of this.

Can't wait to get my tower + 3 el horizontal 10m yagi up in the air.

test

If you give your location will search for you who is giving the test and when, without a state and city, very hard my friend.

DOCTOR/795

Contact your nearest ham radio club about the next testing session, or look for a nearby hamfest. Hamfests usually have VE testing sessions at least once during the fest.

Good luck.

Google is a great tool

ARRL amateur test exams "your state"

should get you in the vicinity.

If not google ARRL VEC with "your state"

If that does not work try amateur radio clubs "your state"

Get whatever study guides you prefer.

visit radioexam.org for the test exam, word for word from the exam question pool. this will let you know what area you are weak in and help you study for the real exam.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy,

Vertical antennas work good on HF bands including 10m. The lower angle of radiation on a vertical antenna makes it better for DX than it does short distance contacts. Once a signal bounces off the ionosphere there's no telling what polarity it's going to come back down anyway. :love:

Learning from your mistakes is important too. Start with a simple 1/4 ground plane antenna or a 1/2 dipole, and go from there.

10m band is the only HF band you're allowed SSB privileges on.

11m CB band, vertical polarity is popular, because most stations are mobile, and are limited to vertical antennas.

10m band, horizontal polarity is popular, because most stations are bases. Occasionally, you'll find another person with a vertical antenna, or a mobile station on a vertical antenna. However, most people on 10m band are using either a dipole, a 3 el, or a 5 el yagi. As you know, vertical to horizontal = half signal strength. Well, I've missed a lot of DX because of this.

Can't wait to get my tower + 3 el horizontal 10m yagi up in the air.

Horizontal antennas are popular on 10m for the same reason they are popular on all the other HF bands. It makes stacking one above the other MUCH easier. It has nothing to do with mobile versus base operations. The signal loss due to cross polarisation is not half either BTW. The normal signal difference is in the range of 20-25 dB which is means the loss is more like 1/100 for 20dB. That sounds like a lot, and it is really, but it's not a massive loss. It's only about 3 or 4 S-units.

Vertical antennas work good on HF bands including 10m. The lower angle of radiation on a vertical antenna makes it better for DX than it does short distance contacts. Once a signal bounces off the ionosphere there's no telling what polarity it's going to come back down anyway. :love:

I was just going to say that but you beat me too it. (y)

Well then,

Fill the gas tank. You MUST attend a testing session SOMEWHERE. No way around that. Find the nearest one, get a date, STUDY, Study some more, take the test. If you have to travel far, study up on all the tests you want to take, as when you pass the tech, the following tests are usually free to take on the same day. Maybe you can knock out tech, general and extra all at once.

Get studying.

Good Luck.

Have fun!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.