• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Could someone tell me exactly how I shoud go about getting my Amateur radio license?

What kind of 10 meter radio do u have? Just keep in mind that it is USB on 10 meter, so do not transmit above 28495 untill u get ur general. But be sure to have lots of fun.
Rich

What do you mean? what licence class is needed to transmit on the lower part?

I have an HTX-100 with the frequency mod to alow 26.0000-29.9999MHZ.

T23

As a Tech you are allowed CW and digital from 28.00- 28.300. You are allowed SSB phone and CW from 28.300-28.500. 10 meter is USB, which means your signal is shifted up from the display frequency 3 khz. Therefor you cannot as a tech transmit above 28.497, according to your frequency display. I always tell the new techs I work with to use 28.495 as there cutoff point, to allow a buffer.
I have a freind with that same radio and an Imax 2000, he is working the world on SSB and PSK31 with it's 25 watts. He just passed his general this morning.
Rich

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

First off, while there are plenty of practice exams, no VEC (the organizations that operate the Volunteer Examiner system for amateur radio) will provide you with the actual exams. Be mindful that there is a finite question pool for each exam element and practice and official exams are both drawn from the same pools. However, given the size of the pools relative to the number of actual exam questions, it's unlikely that you would encounter the exact same exam with the exact same questions and in the exact same order at a session even if you had the official exam generation software.

Better than simply cramming the exam questions is to study the subject areas they cover. One place to start are the ARRL study guides as well other publications such as the ARRL Handbook, Operating Manual, Antenna Book, and so forth (the Basic Radio series may be an even better starting point).

Also, be aware that W5YI-VEC is the other nationwide exam coordinator. Check their site for exam locations. ARRL and W5YI are the two most popular VECs.

As for the antenna polarity difference between 10 meter amateur and CB operations. On 10m amateurs are generally oriented toward DX via ionospheric propagation while on CB operations are limited by rule to less than 150 miles. As CB operations are limited to communications to the horizon and slightly beyond by direct skywave, vertical polarization became preferred due to the vertical whip being favored on mobiles (the same convention is used on Part 90 mobile services as well as amateur FM operations). On direct skywave propagation, cross polarization costs up to about 30 dB of signal loss.

As amateur 10m operations are mostly oriented toward beyond the horizon skywave via ionospheric skip, either vertical or horizontal antennas are employed with horizontal preferred on towers and masts so the elements are perpendicular to the mast to minimize couple and pattern distortion. Once a wave passes through the ionosphere its polarization is unpredictable so it can arrive at the other station at horizontal, vertical, or any degree in between which is responsible, in part, for signal fading. So choosing one or the other is mostly operator preference. In some areas, amateurs engage in direct skywave for local communications as in CB and vertical antennas are preferred for the same reason as in CB or amateur FM operations.

Good luck!

Vertical antennas work good on HF bands including 10m. The lower angle of radiation on a vertical antenna makes it better for DX than it does short distance contacts. Once a signal bounces off the ionosphere there's no telling what polarity it's going to come back down anyway. :love:

No doubt it's great for DX work, I've worked a lot of stations with my modest Maco.

However, it's annoying as hell for regional stuff when the band is dead.

I can barely hear anybody else on the local wednesday night 10m net. Some nights, the noise floor is so high, alll I hear is "BBUUUUZZZZZZZZZZ" :(

I really need to invest in an ANC4 or something, I have a feeling a lot of it is QRM from power lines / my neighbors.

The above post (Nate's) is very well stated and about as generally comprehensive as you can get. Lots of specific question not covered in it, but really about as simple as can be.
I really wouldn't let all this stuff worry you too much, it certainly isn't impossible to do, and is really fairly easy. It just means learning some basic information, which will always take some time and effort. Knowing -what- you are talking about, or asked questions about is always 'better' than just cramming to pass a test. You may pass that test, but that doesn't tell you much about how to do things 'for real'. (I don't think that's telling you anything 'new'.)
You never quit learning! So do the learning...
- 'Doc

Tips from one technician to another:
1.) DO NOT cheap out on coax like it did, it'll bite you in the ass later, and you'll just end up upgrading it (like I did).
2.) Height is might
3.) Vertical antennas are not popular on 10m.
4.) DO listen to other hams. I learned a lot from a local guy who was a Motorola technician from college graduation until retirement.
5.) DO learn how to solder properly.
6.) DO make your own antennas.
7.) DO repair your own equipment.
8.) DO learn CW. It's worth the effort.

I like this

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.