• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

Astatic Road Devil for Cre-890"

One of the side projects I'll be doing is wiring a Astatic Road Devil mic for a CRE-8900. I'll incorporate CBRadioMagazine's 1K resistor mod between the audio and ground to prevent an audio delay. I'll also change out the RD's covers for some 636L Crome covers. Cross my fingers and go for using radio power to provide juice to run the RD. I appreciate everyone's help and input and advice. Like the bible says ,He that hangs out with wise men becomes wise. Here's where to get replacement chrome 636L cases
Astatic replacement covers for 636L Mic, DNJ Radio

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
this sounds like a interesting project 2 thumbs up. in all fairness i still think
a 2018 will sound alot better on that radio. ive owned both the rd is in my junk
collection ,my 2018 i use in mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Radio reset

I just did a reset on the 8900. I noticed that the beep function when I hit a button wasn't beeping. After a reset I couldn't adjust that beep function from the factory reset. I reset it 4 times until it finally responded. Of course I'm still having problems with the stock mic unkeying on me. I'm waiting on KeyCB to reply after the weekend. I'm wondering if my running it in mobile with starting the car and shutting down the engine periodically might have locked up those said function buttons to start with. Maybe I'll turn the radio off when starting the car.

I'm new to CPU driven radios. Reboot,reboot,reboot. I just got the mic adapters in today to run my 2018 mic on along with a 6 pin RCI jack that's not wired for a 8900. I want to be cautious and not blow out a trace like CBRadioMagazine did with his 8900. When I get the Road Devil mic I'll wire it up to the 6 pin mic plug. A 1K resistor will go between the audio and the ground in the RD mic. Tap in to 13.8 volts that's on one of the radio's mic pins and use it to power the RD instead of it's battery and replace the red case(Triple 7's mod)with a chrome one I bought from DNJ. It's a nice radio for the price and rock steady on frequency. It's a lot quieter radio on receive than the DX-959 and has fairly good modulstion. I'm going to hook up a modulation meter to it to see what kind of numbers I get,and to set up the RD to the radio. Triple 7's mic mod includes trimming down the RD's volume slide control and make it a internally adjustable. I may still buy a replacement stock mic for it though. The only thing it doesn't have is a Galaxy label on it. LOL!

Make sure that you put in a dropping resistor on the 13.8V line so you get the voltage down to 9V to run the RD mic... otherwise the RD mic will sound "windblown" and over-driven. :)

~Cheers~

Would'nt some itty bitty diodes on the adapter step down the voltage? I'm a little rusty on doing it the resistor way. Do you have the formula right off hand?

Last edited:
You could do that, but you'd need roughly 6 diodes in series to make it work. Better option actually is to use an LM7809 voltage regulator IC, and just wire it inside the mic where the battery sits at.. it's small, the size of a final transistor in a radio, and it's easy to wire in. Would provide a nice stable 9V source to run the mic. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Would'nt some itty bitty diodes on the adapter step down the voltage? I'm a little rusty on doing it the resistor way. Do you have the formula right off hand?

I have used the Lm 7808 in circuits that used 9v batteries in the past because the 09 was not sold in my local supply store but as exit said use a lm7809 it is your ticket

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated