• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

Honestly, I'd just use a 9V battery in the mic. I've had mine in the mic for 6 months of daily use and haven't needed to change it.

Trying to step down the power to run the mic is just one more "if" in the equation and it's not really necessary.

Tried out the new Road Devil mic on my Galaxy DX-959 this morning before adapting it to the CRE-8900. It's L-O-U-D!!!! The RF Limited 2018 Xtreme will make the 959 do 100% modulation whole saying Aaaaah but the RD makes it do 110-112%. Can't even turn the talkback on unless I turn the RD's gain way down. This will be good talking long distance direct and for punching through on DX. :p:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 1 person
Tried out the new Road Devil mic on my Galaxy DX-959 this morning before adapting it to the CRE-8900. It's L-O-U-D!!!! The RF Limited 2018 Xtreme will make the 959 do 100% modulation whole saying Aaaaah but the RD makes it do 110-112%. Can't even turn the talkback on unless I turn the RD's gain way down. This will be good talking long distance direct and for punching through on DX. :p:
how ya got that 2018 setup?
heres mine
audio vr max
nr off [for max audio] or on in noisy situation
mic gain on radio adjusted for clean audio [usually 1/2 -3/4 depending if nr is on

The 2018's volume gain pot is cranked all the way up,the radio's mic front panel knob is all the way up,the only limiting factor is that the 959's modulation is set for 100% modulation in the DTB Radio state of tune. This makes it loud but not into splatter. The RD kicks it over 100% and is cutting through Motor Mouth Mauls and John Denver some of the time to a another operator 6 miles away on a base with a Maco V58. I'm on my Sirio Performer PL 5000.(2018;Echo volume 8 1/2,echo delay 1 1/2, n.r. Off, D.T. On. )

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Last night I got on SSB with someone I know 8 miles away. I kept turning down the 8900's mic gain to a final setting of 8. The RF Power knob was at full power and i was on the stock mic. The other guy was talking on a Lafayette 2400FM. He said that i sounded natural and not forced. I monitored my S/RF meter while i talked. It went 3/4 of full scale. I'm thinking that a mic gain setting of 8-12 would be right. I've yet to find out just how much modulation to set my radio at while talking SSB. I noticed that when I got my 8900 from DTB,the mic gain was set at 8. Hmmmmm?!

The MFJ-207 can be zeroed back to a particular frequency without a plug in freq counter. Just stick a two foot piece of wire in the MFJ's freq out and place close to the SO-239 jack on the radio having the RF gain turned all the way down. Set the MFJ close to the frequency that you want to check the antenna system with and listen to the radio for the MFJ's signal. Cool!
Of course,the radio has to have a freq counter

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?